Mercedes-Benz insurance rates
What to expect when insuring a Mercedes-Benz, and insurers that could cover you.
Mercedes-Benz cars ooze style, luxury and class. The company slogan: “The best or nothing” says it all. Many of its models have had a 5-star safety rating, so your Mercedes will give you safety as well as comfort. Nobody likes to overpay for their car insurance, so we’ve analysed rates, and you can compare quotes to find the best for you.
What's in this guide?
- What insurance group is a Mercedes Benz?
- How much is insurance on a Mercedes Benz?
- Companies that provide cover for a Mercedes-Benz
- Find your Mercedes-Benz model
- How does the model affect insurance costs?
- Mercedes-Benz car facts
- Other car brands you might want to see rates for
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions about Mercedes-Benz
What insurance group is a Mercedes Benz?
While your specific insurance group will depend on the model and trim of your Mercedes, popular models generally fall into the following groups:
Mercedes Benz A-Class: Insurance groups 17 to 37.
Mercedes Benz A-Class AMG: Insurance groups 43 to 45.
Mercedes Benz AMG: Insurance group 50.
Mercedes Benz B-Class: Insurance groups 12 to 27.
Mercedes Benz C-Class: Insurance groups 23 to 50.
Mercedes Benz CLA: Insurance groups 20 to 46.
Mercedes Benz E-Class: Insurance groups 28 to 49.
Mercedes Benz SLK: Insurance groups 41 to 48.
How much is insurance on a Mercedes Benz?
The average annual insurance cost of a Mercedes-Benz A-Class, the most popular model bought in the UK, was £775 a year or £93 a month. This is for a fully comprehensive policy with no optional extras and based on a comparison of insurance quotes.
The average cost of a Mercedes Benz C-Class is approximately £740 per year, or £415 for a Mercedes Benz SLK.
The insurance on your Mercedes-Benz will be affected by the insurer you choose, the specific model you have, your driving history and your personal details, such as where you live. As a luxury brand, Mercedes-Benz prices its vehicles at a premium, and you’re likely to pay handsomely to insure yours.
The most common model on UK roads is the A-Class so we’ve used that to get some example quotes, to give you an idea. In our scenario, Your actual cost could be more or less depending on your driving record, your annual mileage as well as other factors.
How does the model affect insurance costs?
Generally, the pricier the model, the higher the insurance premium because the car will be costly to repair or replace. Other factors that insurance companies consider when determining the cost of insurance include the car’s safety rating and its likelihood of being stolen. While the car’s safety rating works in your favour, the fact that it’s far more appealing to thieves unfortunately doesn’t.
Mercedes-Benz car facts
- Buying a Mercedes-Benz isn’t cheap. At the bottom of the manufacturer’s price range, the A-Class will set you back at least £22,850, the most common model purchased in the UK. And you’ll shell out 28,000 for a C-Class saloon, another popular model in the UK. At the upper end, you’ll find options like the S-Class saloon for £74,500 and the Maybach S-Class for £180,000.
- For the price you’ll pay, you’ll enjoy a highly secure ride. Over the years, Mercedes-Benz models have scored impeccable safety ratings from the European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP).
- Mercedes-Benz vehicles are targeted more frequently by car thieves in the UK, which can exacerbate insurance costs. In fact, in 2017, the C-Class model was stolen more times than any other car in the UK according to Tracker, a leading stolen vehicle recovery specialist. The E-Class also seems to have some appeal with would-be thieves as this model ranked 8th on the top 10 list of most commonly stolen cars in 2019.
- You may want more than just third party cover for your pricey Mercedes-Benz, especially if it’s more likely to be targeted by criminals. Expanding your protection to third party fire and theft or comprehensive cover might be a better fit for your needs.
Other car brands you might want to see rates for
If you’d like to compare rates with other car brands, here are some you might be interested in:
There’s no doubt about it, a Mercedes is synonymous with luxury and depending on the model of yours, you’ll pay dearly for it. But the car itself is not the only factor that insurers look at when calculating your insurance premiums. Your age, driving history, location and occupation can also have a huge influence on how much you pay.
Be sure to shop around and compare deals to ensure you find the best cover for your needs at a cost that you’re happy with.
Frequently asked questions about Mercedes-Benz
More guides on Finder
Mercedes E-Class insurance group
Find out the average cost of insurance for the Mercedes E-Class based on the specific model version, the driver’s age and their location.
Mercedes-Benz C-Class insurance group & cost
Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Mercedes C-Class and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Mercedes-Benz A-Class insurance group & cost
Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Mercedes A-Class and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Ask an Expert