Volkswagen Beetle insurance group and cost
Compare car insurance costs for your Volkswagen Beetle based on your age and location.
The Volkswagen Beetle is an iconic hatchback that has been produced by the German manufacturer ever since way back in the late 1930s. In this guide, you’ll discover the key facts about insuring this vehicle.
Volkswagen Beetle insurance groups and cost by driver’s age
Volkswagen Beetle models range from insurance groups 6 to 18, so the price of your car insurance might vary quite a bit. The difference in cost between each insurance group can vary due to factors including your car’s performance and engine size, the vehicle safety features and the cost of part replacement and repair.
For example, a 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay around £731 for cover on a Volkswagen Beetle 1.2 TSI Design 3d (insurance group 11), or around £882 for a Volkswagen Beetle 2.0 TSI (210bhp) GSR 3d which falls in insurance group 18. In this example, the difference in cost for insurance is an extra £151 for a vehicle that is seven insurance groups higher.
You can find the insurance group and likely premium cost of your Volkswagen Beetle model in the table below.
Average Volkswagen Beetle insurance cost
To provide you with an idea of how much it may cost you to insure your Volkswagen Beetle, we ran several quotes to find an average figure. Based on our results, on average, you could insure your Volkswagen Beetle with a comprehensive policy for the monthly price of £73.12, or an annual sum of £801.23.
Volkswagen Beetle insurance cost by location
The table above shows the average cost of Volkswagen Beetle insurance based on insurance groups and driver age. However, a number of other factors can help determine your car insurance costs, one of the biggest being your location.
To show how much your location can impact your premium, here are some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for a Volkswagen Beetle 2.0 TSI Turbo Silver 3d.
- Expensive: £986 (London SE1)
- Average: £854 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £659 (Galashiels TD1)
Which factors affect my Volkswagen Beetle insurance rate?
Along with the insurance group, there are other key factors that impact your insurance premium costs:
- Engine type and capacity. In most circumstances, the bigger the engine, the more you’ll pay for your car insurance. An average 30-year-old may pay £721 for the 1.2-litre Volkswagen Beetle 1.2 TSI 3d, but could pay around £894 for the 2.0-litre Volkswagen Beetle 2.0 TSI (220bhp) Sport 3d. In this example, the difference in price for a vehicle that is 0.8 litres bigger in capacity is an extra £173.
- Driver location. Where you live helps determine the level of risk that your car may be stolen or you’ll be involved in an accident, and this affects the cost of insurance. For example, a 30-year-old in central London may pay £913 for insurance for a Volkswagen Beetle 1.2 TSI Design (Start Stop) 3d DSG, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £768. In this example, the difference in price is £145 extra for the driver located in London.
- Driver age. The younger you are, the more risk you represent to insurers, and the more you’re likely to pay for insurance. The average 20-year-old driver in London may pay £1,691 for the Volkswagen Beetle 1.4 TSI (150bhp) Design 3d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £886. In this example, the younger driver has to pay £805 more than the older driver which shows the huge impact that age has on the cost of car insurance.
Other factors that influence the cost of your insurance include:
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
- Your car’s safety rating score
- The model of your car
- The age of your car
- Your car’s security and any extra anti-theft precautions
- Annual miles driven
- Your driving history and activity
- No claim discount
How can I save on my Volkswagen Beetle car insurance?
Whilst car insurance is absolutely necessary for you to remain road legal, you don’t want it to put you out of pocket. There are a few things you can try in order to save on your car insurance premium, and we’ve listed them below.
- Limit your car usage (where possible). Occasionally deciding to walk or getting public transport will keep your mileage down, and can help to save on your premium.
- Pay annually rather than monthly. Whilst it might be scary to part with a large sum of money in one go, by paying annually you can save an average of £76.21 a year.
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer your car is, the less of a risk it will be for companies to insure. By adding extra safety measures, you’re quite likely to lower your premium.
- Don’t just accept your renewal quote. Although it might be time consuming, when it’s time for renewal make sure you shop around and don’t just settle for the renewal price given to you – there could be cheaper options available!
The Volkswagen Beetle is a highly desirable vehicle, and reasonably cheap to insure too. Better yet, the tips in this guide will help you cut your insurance premiums.
Frequently asked questions
Compare insurance for other Volkswagen models
More guides on Finder
Volkswagen Bora insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volkswagen Bora falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Caddy insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volkswagen Caddy falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Touran insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volkswagen Touran falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Scirocco insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volkswagen Scirocco falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Fox insurance group
Find out the average cost of insurance for a Volkswagen Fox and see how much you could pay based on age, location and model.
Volkswagen Tiguan insurance group & cost
Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Volkswagen Tiguan and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Volkswagen Passat insurance group & cost
Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Volkswagen Passat and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Volkswagen (VW) Polo insurance group and costs
Find out how much it could cost you to insure a Volkswagen Polo and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Volkswagen Golf insurance group and cost
Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Volkswagen Golf and how to save on your car insurance premiums.