What to expect when you’re insuring a Mitsubishi – plus compare quotes from insurers that could cover you.
Mitsubishis are growing in popularity in the UK. This is, in part, thanks to the brand’s greener models like the plug-in hybrid Outlander PHEV. This car is one of the UK’s most popular hybrid SUVs, having topped the UK’s best-selling electric cars list in 2017. The model is considered to be so mindful of its environmental impact that during 2018, it has qualified for a £2,500 government plug-in car grant towards the price tag. If that’s got you interested in owning one, read on to see how much it could cost to insure.
Save over £200*
What’s the average insurance cost for a Mitsubishi?
The average insurance cost of a Mitsubishi varies depending on the model you choose, your location, your driving history and many other factors.
Using a specific profile, we ran quotes to find the average insurance cost of a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, one of the most popular plug-in hybrid models in the UK, in addition one of the other SUV models, the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross.
The average cost of insuring a Mitsubishi Outlander PEV was £1,395 a year or £126 a month; the average cost of insuring a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross was £1,028 a year or £93 a month.
These quotes are for fully comprehensive cover and no optional extras. Your actual cost could be more or less depending on the model you choose, your age, driving record and location, as well as the number of miles you drive in a year.
Other variables that affect insurance include the year, model and trim package of your Mitsubishi, how likely it is of being stolen and how costly it is to repair or replace.
How a vehicle from Mitsubishi affects insurance costs
Insurance companies determine the insurance cost for a car based on safety ratings, theft rates, replacement costs and overall damage susceptibility.
Mitsubishis do well in safety tests, which helps to lower the cost of insuring one. They are also relatively affordable cars, which means replacing or repairing them isn’t too expensive — another factor working in your favour.
Pros and cons of a Mitsubishi
- Relatively affordable price tag
- Good safety ratings on many newer models
- Some models may be more appealing to criminals
Mitsubishi car facts
- Mitsubishi Motors Corporation has been around since 1917 and is a Japanese automobile manufacturer.
- Mitsubishi cars are sold in more than 160 nations throughout the world.
- Mitsubishis only became available to buyers in the UK in 1974, with the arrival of the Colt Car Company. One of the first models available in the UK was the Colt Lancer model.
- Mitsubishi caters to a wide range of drivers and budgets with its models in the UK. The compact Mirage is priced from around £11,000, the ASX SUV at around £19,000 right up to the seven-seater Shogun Sport, priced from around £38,000.
What is MAP?
MAP is Mitsubishi’s Motors Assistance Package. It offers cover for accidents, breakdown, flat tyres, lost keys or even theft. It includes car hire, vehicle recovery and repairs from an authorised Mitsubishi dealer, if required, followed by redelivery.
MAP is available free with all new models for a period of three years from the date of registration across the UK and continental Europe.
You’re likely to find affordable car insurance for your Mitsubishi, barring any personal hiccups. But be sure to shop around to find the best car insurance for you.
Other car brands you might want to see rates for include:
Frequently asked questions about Mitsubishi