With its full range of current accounts, Santander offers targeted solutions for a variety of different needs.
Spanish-born bank Santander combines the advantages of a big, established bank with a good choice of different current accounts.
Whether you’re in for the cashback on your bills or for a high-profile premium account that offers dedicated 24/7 customer service, you’re likely to find something that suits you.
Types of current accounts from Santander
Like most big banks, Santander has current accounts for all tastes, including:
Reward and incentive accounts
In exchange for a monthly fee, with Santander’s reward accounts you can get cashback on your household bills and interest paid on your balance. Reward accounts can be ideal as main current accounts, because they offer good perks if you use them regularly.
Learn more about reward and incentive accounts
If you meet the demanding financial criteria of a premium current account, you should probably go for it and enjoy the extra perks it comes with. Santander’s Select Current Account offers dedicated customer support and monthly interest paid on your balance.
Learn more about premium current accounts
Students usually need extra support with their finances and Santander’s student’s account provides it through a fee-free overdraft feature, a decent interest rate on the account balance and a free railcard.
Learn more about student accounts
Santander’s 1|2|3 Mini Current Account can teach your children how to manage their finances from an early age, while also giving a little boost to their pocket money with a nice interest rate.
Learn more about children’s accounts
The benefits of banking with Santander
- Perks. Santander offers different perks and rewards to its account holders, with some of the current accounts even paying a decent interest rate on the balance.
- Multiple ways to bank. Depending on your preferences and style, you can do everything online or talk to someone in person at one of Santander’s more than 600 UK branches.
- Mobile banking app. Santander’s mobile app doesn’t have tons of features but it looks clean and tidy, and allows you to see all your Santander accounts in the same place and to log in with your fingerprint. In a nutshell, it does the job just fine.
- A wide range of related products. One of the benefits of big banks such as Santander is that if you need a bunch of different things (a mortgage, a credit card, a savings account) you can have them all with the same institution and choose among a variety of options.
- Global acceptance. Santander cards are all either Mastercard or Visa, so they’re accepted pretty much anywhere.
Opening an account with Santander
To open an account with Santander, you’ll have to provide the following information:
You can open a Santander account online or by visiting a branch.
Why should I compare current accounts anyway?
Despite offering a pretty basic service at their core, current accounts are not all the same. Banks tailor them according to different criteria and needs, so it’s worth spending time thinking about what you use your account for and which features suit you best. Do you pay expensive bills, eat out a lot, withdraw much cash or travel frequently? By browsing around a bit, chances are you can find an account that was meant for someone like you.
Moreover, competition in the market is quite harsh, because once people get a current account with one bank, they’re also likely to go to it for the rest of their financial needs. So, you can often get nice rewards just for switching your main current accounts from one institution to the other.
Our current accounts page compares and contrasts a selection of current accounts and their features to help you pick the one that works best for you.
What about digital banking?
These days, there’s a lot of conversation around so-called challenger banks. You’ve probably heard of Monzo or Starling, and a number of smaller ones are also becoming increasingly popular.
They aim to offer a different kind of banking experience, based on technology, mobile apps, more efficient services and less fees. If this sounds like your thing, you can head to our digital banking hub to learn more.
Free card worth £5 from Revolut
Click the button and enter your number to receive a free Revolut card.
Starling voted best British bank & current account
No branches, no fees, no paperwork. Get a smarter kind of bank account with the Best British Bank 2018 – all in under 3 minutes!
Get N26 the new bank you'll love to use
Manage everything directly in the N26 app. Set payment limits, change your PIN number and lock and unlock your card. All in real-time.
Download the Monese app and get your free card
Click the button to head to the app store, download the app, and your Monese card will be sent in the post.