Take advantage of Halifax’s juicy switching incentive and enjoy a wide range of perks.
Halifax offers a decent range of current accounts with all the benefits of a big bank, including multiple ways to bank, fraud protection and seven days a week customer service.
Types of current from Halifax
Halifax offers a solid basic current account plus a range of options for those who are looking for something a little bit more sophisticated:
Reward and incentive accounts
Halifax has two different reward accounts: one that comes for free and even offers you a coffee every month (that is, it earns you £2) if you meet the requirements and one that is packed with benefits and perks in return for a monthly fee. However, the cashback they earn is limited to a restricted number of retailers, so you may want to compare current accounts to see if there’s a better deal available for you.
Learn more about reward and incentive accounts
Halifax’s student account offers a respectable fee-free overdraft of up to £1,500, but it doesn’t have any special discounts or benefits, so it may be worth checking out the competition – student accounts are known for the wide range of perks they offer, including railway and coach cards and free Amazon Prime memberships.
Learn more about student accounts
Halifax’s Expresscash account helps children between 11 and 17 to better manage their money and also treats them with a little interest rate on balances on top.
Learn more about children’s accounts
The benefits of banking with Halifax
- Switching incentive. Switching incentives are an easy way to attract new customers, so if you’re unhappy with your current arrangement, why not give it a shot? Considering how savings accounts’ rates go these days, it’s probably the easiest way to get some decent cash out of your banking experience.
- Multiple ways to bank. Halifax has more than 600 branches in the UK, so chances are there’s one pretty close to your place. You can also bank on the phone, online or using the mobile app.
- Mobile banking app. Halifax’s mobile app is straightforward and easy to use. If you’re after advanced budgeting features, it isn’t the right place to look, but all in all, it does the job fine.
- Global acceptance. Halifax’s current accounts all come with a Visa debit card that is accepted pretty much anywhere in the world.
- A wide range of related products. Halifax also does savings accounts, credit cards, loans, mortgages, investments and insurance – so if you’re the all-in-one-place kind of customer, you can easily settle down and let Halifax handle the whole package.
Opening an account with Halifax
To open an account with Halifax, you’ll have to provide the following information:
You can open a Halifax account online or by visiting a branch.
Why should I compare current accounts anyway?
Current accounts aren’t all the same – they offer different features that can suit different needs. Do you dip into your overdraft quite often? Are you a frequent traveller who needs fee-free spending abroad and travel insurance? Are you after perks and rewards? There will be a choice of current accounts for any of these possibilities.
At the very least, it’s worth comparing switching incentives to see which account is the best one you can get.
What about digital banking?
If you don’t really care about in-branch banking and are more into advanced mobile apps that offer loads of spending control features, you may want to take a look at our digital banking section to find out what Monzo, Starling, Revolut and their smaller siblings have got in it for you.
Free card worth £5 from Revolut
Click the button and enter your number to receive a free Revolut card.
Starling voted best British bank & current account
No branches, no fees, no paperwork. Get a smarter kind of bank account with the Best British Bank 2018 – all in under 3 minutes!
Get N26 the new bank you'll love to use
Manage everything directly in the N26 app. Set payment limits, change your PIN number and lock and unlock your card. All in real-time.
Download the Monese app and get your free card
Click the button to head to the app store, download the app, and your Monese card will be sent in the post.