Daylight Visa prepaid card review
Learn what the first LGBTQ-focused digital banking platform has to offer.
Daylight hopes to create an entire banking platform to address the unique financial needs and spending power of the LGBTQ+ community. The Daylight Visa prepaid card gives you access to financial coaches and a safe community of people who understand the challenges facing LGBTQ+ Americans. And you’ll only pay $1 a month to join — a fee that’s much lower than most prepaid cards. But the card hasn’t launched yet, which means early adopters are stepping into the unknown.
Monthly maintenance fee
Heather Petty is a personal finance writer at Finder, specializing in home and personal loans. After falling victim to a disreputable mortgage broker when buying her first home, she’s on a mission to help readers avoid similar experiences when managing their own finances. A self-proclaimed word nerd, her writing and analysis has been featured on MSN, Credit.com and MediaFeed, among other top media. Heather previously worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. She earned a BA in English with a minor in journalism from the University of Nevada, Reno.
Daylight wants to help the LGBTQ community unlock its financial power in the market by providing financial know-how and a prepaid debit card geared to address the specific financial challenges of the community.
With the Daylight Visa prepaid card, you can use your preferred name no matter what your ID says. While there are some banks that allow you to personalize the name on your card, not all do.
You also won’t have to worry about awkward conversations that stem from Know Your Customer compliance policies that require you to validate your identity and submit identity documents that you haven’t had the chance to update. Plus, you’ll only pay $1 a month to become a member. Most prepaid card monthly fees range from $4 to $9.99 a month.
However, the card hasn’t yet launched and the fees and limitations haven’t been announced. But if you want to get more personalized banking, it might be worth joining the waitlist to take advantage of its one year free membership.
How do I get the Daylight Visa prepaid card?Daylight Visa prepaid card hasn’t launched yet, but you can join the waitlist in two steps:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Enter your email address and your main financial goal and select Join Waitlist.
To use Daylight Visa prepaid card, you must meet the following requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or resident
- Valid Social Security number
- Residential address
Daylight hasn’t listed its requirements yet, but most prepaid cards require you to provide:
- Government-issued ID, such as a driver’s license
- Social Security number
- Name, email address and phone number
- US residential address
What you’ll like about Daylight Visa prepaid card
You can use your Daylight Visa prepaid card anywhere Visa is accepted, including Apple Pay and Google Pay, and track your purchases and balance using the Daylight mobile app. You can also expect the following benefits from your account:
- Use your preferred name. While some banks allow you to personalize the name on your card, not all do. With Daylight your card comes printed with your preferred name, whether it matches your legal ID or not.
- Low membership fees. You’ll only pay $1 a month to become a Daylight member. Most prepaid cards charge you anywhere from $4 to $9.99 a month.
- Savings goals feature. Use the mobile app to set financial goals and automate your savings.
- Financial coaches and community support. Access vetted financial coaches who understand the unique financial needs of the LGBTQ community. Plus use the app to join a community forum to discuss financial issues and successes.
- Customer service support. Avoid awkward or judgemental conversations that you may find at other banks that require you to validate your identity or provide documentation that might not have updated information.
- A year of free membership. If you’re one of the first 5,000 members to sign up, Daylight will waive your membership fees for the first 12 months.
What to watch out for
Keep the following in mind before you apply:
- ATM fees. Your Daylight Visa prepaid card works in the AllPay ATM network, which has over 55,000 ATMs nationwide. But only one withdrawal a month is free. The rest are subject to ATM charges that Daylight has not yet disclosed.
- Limited availability. The card launches in mid-December, but only to a limited number of applicants in California and New York. The network will expand, but the timeline hasn’t yet been announced.
- Untested on the market. This card is new, so there’s no data or reviews to help you understand the pitfalls or glitches you might face once the card goes live.
But if you’re looking for a vetted prepaid card or have an immediate need, you may want to shop around until Daylight launches and proves itself in the market.
Is the Daylight Visa prepaid card safe?
Yes. Daylight Visa prepaid card promises the following security measures:
- Funds insured. Your card is insured up to $250,000 by an FDIC-insured bank
- Freeze your funds. If you notice strange charges on your card, you can freeze your funds at any time using the card’s mobile app.
- Zero liability. Visa protects you if your card is lost, stolen or used fraudulently.
- Data protection. Daylight’s servers use 256-bit encryption to protect your data.
Compare Daylight Prepaid Visa with other prepaid cards
Daylight hasn’t established any funding options yet, but most prepaid cards offer the following options:
- ACH bank transfer
- Mobile check deposit
- Direct deposit
How can I contact Daylight?
You can email Daylight customer service at email@example.com.
Frequently asked questions
Daylight Visa prepaid card is not currently available on Finder
Have you considered Greenlight?
Teach your child to spend, save and invest all in one app. Get 5+ financial literacy tools, including chores and allowances. All with powerful parental controls to decide where your child can spend and how much. Includes up to 5% savings rewards. Free one-month trial.
- Spend, save & invest
- Chores & allowance tools
- Spending controls & limits
- Instantly send money to your child
- Up to 5% savings rewards
- FDIC insured