Umpqua Bank personal loans review
Borrow between $1,000 and $100,000 — but only for residents of the Pacific Northwest.
finder.com’s rating: 4.2 / 5.0
- Best for borrowers in the Pacific Northwest looking for competitive rates.
- Pick something else if you don't have strong credit and a low debt-to-income ratio.
First, am I eligible?
To apply for a personal loan or line of credit from Umpqua Bank, you'll need to meet a few basic requirements:
- Credit score of at least 650.
- Debt-to-income ratio below 50%.
- Resident of Washington, California, Oregon, Nevada or Idaho.
- At least 18 years old.
- US citizen or permanent resident.
- Autopay APR discount of 0.5%
- Wide range of amounts
- Secured loans available
- Joint applications accepted
- Limited information available online
- Origination fee of $100
- Limited state availability
- Proof of assets required for loans of $50,000+
Compare other personal loan providers
How do I apply?
You can complete the application for an unsecured personal loan or line of credit in about 10 minutes online by following these steps:
- Visit the Umpqua Bank site and click Personal Banking.
- Select Personal & Home Loans, then click either Personal Loan or Personal Line of Credit.
- Click Apply Now under the product you're interested in.
- Choose whether you want to apply individually or jointly and select your loan's purpose.
- Read and agree to the eDisclosure Agreement.
- Enter information about yourself, including your full name, driver's license number and employment details.
- Enter any additional information or comments you may have for Umpqua Bank during the consideration process.
- Enter and confirm your email address and hit Submit.
What information do I need to apply?
You'll need some basic information to submit your application:
- Driver's license number and issuing state
- Social Security number
- Monthly housing payment
- Gross monthly income
What happens after I apply?
Once you submit your application, Umpqua Bank will review your information and get back to you with a decision.
If you want to apply for a secured loan, you'll need to set up an appointment with Umpqua Bank to discuss this in person.
How do repayments work with Umpqua Bank?
For personal loans, you'll have a fixed payment each month based on your principal and interest. For lines of credit (LOCs), you'll only pay interest on what you borrow. But since LOCs come with variable rates, your payments could change from month to month.
If you have an Umpqua checking account, consider signing up for autopay. You'll get an interest rate discount, plus you won't need to remember to manually make payments each month.
Keep an eye on your loan balance and account. If you notice anything off, reach out to Umpqua Bank's customer service team or stop by a local branch as soon as possible.
See how Umpqua Bank compares to other lenders with our guide to personal loans.
Frequently asked questions
Do I have to have an account with Umpqua Bank to qualify for a loan?
You won't need to have an account in order to apply, but if you choose to create one and set up automatic payments, you can shave 0.5% off your APR.
Will Umpqua Bank check my credit score?
Yes. When you submit your application for review, Umpqua Bank will run your credit through Equifax to confirm your identity and ensure you're a good candidate for a loan.
Personal loan ratings
We analyze top personal loan providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: rates and fees, customer reviews, loan amounts, loan processing and borrower experience.
Kellye Guinan is a seasoned financial writer with over 500 articles under her belt spanning all things loans from auto to personal to business and everything in between. With four years in the field and five years of research experience, she's able to make complex personal finance decisions easier for anyone to tackle. When she's not up to her knees learning about the latest trends in lending, she spends her time improving her own financial literacy and expertise — and maintaining a Duolingo streak of over 1,300 days.
Umpqua Bank’s personal loans are a good option if you live in the Pacific Northwest and have strong credit and a low debt-to-income ratio.
Its rates start at a competitive 4.66% — lower than many lenders out there. And you can borrow as little as $1,000 or as much as $100,000. You can also apply with a coapplicant to increase your chances of qualifying for a lower rate.
But it charges a $100 origination fee — it’s possible to find other personal loan providers that don’t. And you’ll need to live in one of the five states it services to qualify.
Not sure Umpqua Bank is for you? Compare your other options below.