Car insurance group 26
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 26 and how much it might cost to insure them.
What's in this guide?
- What is insurance group 26?
- Car makes and models in insurance group 26
- Cars in insurance group 26 and the average cost by driver's age
- Why do cars in group 26 cost more to insure?
- What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
- How can I save on my car insurance premiums?
- Frequently asked questions
What is insurance group 26?
There are 50 car insurance groups that were created by Thatcham Research to help car insurance companies deliver an accurate premium to customers.
Insurance group 26 cars are priced just above average. That means they typically rank just above average for the factors used to rank these groups, including market value, repair costs, safety features, etc.
However, there are also a number of other factors that insurers take into account, such as your age, driving history and location.
In this guide, we will explore these factors in greater depth.
Car makes and models in insurance group 26
Here are some of the more popular cars in insurance group 26 that you can expect to pay just above average prices for when it comes to your car insurance premiums.
|Insurance group||Car make/model||Details|
|26||Alfa Romeo Mito||This three-door premium supermini is affordable to run and it offers an excellent safety record. It was awarded a 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP.|
|26||Audi A4||The A4 oozes class and style and features a cultured 2-litre engine.|
|26||BMW 1 series||This premium hatchback has strong and sturdy craftsmanship. It scooped the Best Family Car at the What Car? Awards 2020.|
|26||Ford Galaxy||This vehicle was rated five stars for safety by Euro NCAP and features automatic emergency city braking.|
|26||Honda CR-V||Winner of the Kelly Blue Book’s Award for Best Buy 2020, this large SUV has a 5-star Euro NCAP rating. Its safety features include lane departure warning and automatic emergency braking.|
|26||Jaguar XE||This executive car won “Car Brand with Best Features” at the 2019 Auto Trader New Car Awards, and it received a 5-star test rating from Euro NCAP.|
|26||Mitsubishi Outlander||This large SUV with four-wheel drive was awarded five stars by Euro NCAP. It comes with several safety features including seven airbags and stability control.|
|26||Volvo V40||This five-door family car has an impressive range of safety features, including a rollover cage and laser-based braking units.|
Cars in insurance group 26 and the average cost by driver’s age
Using the table below, you can find the make and model of your car, then work out how much you’re likely to pay for your car insurance based on your age.
Why do cars in group 26 cost more to insure?
Cars in insurance group 26 cost slightly above average because they rank as slightly above average for the following features:
- Security features
- Cost of parts
- Cost of repairs
- Repair time
- Market value
- Engine size
What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
Along with your car’s insurance group, these three factors have the biggest impact on the cost of your insurance:
- Engine type and capacity. The larger your engine, the more you’re likely to pay for insurance. With a smaller engine, you’re likely to be seen as less risk to an insurer and this is usually reflected with a lower premium.
- Driver location. Insurers factor in the likelihood that your car will be stolen or involved in an accident based on your location and will adjust your premium accordingly. As an example, a 30-year-old in central London will pay £1,010 for insurance for a Abarth 500 1.4 16V T-Jet (09) 3d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £882.
- Driver age. Like location, the age of the driver plays a huge role in determining the cost of your insurance premium. The average 20-year-old driver in London could pay £1,757 for the DS 3 1.6 THP DStyle 3d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £920.
There are a handful of other factors that can also impact the price of your premiums.
These include the following:
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
- Your car’s safety rating, security and anti-theft precautions
- The model and age of your car
- Your driving activity
- Your driving history
- Your no-claims discount
How can I save on my car insurance premiums?
As well as choosing a car in a lower insurance group, there are a few other things you can do to lower the cost of your car insurance.
We’ve listed them below:
- Drive safely. Having convictions on your record will make your premium more expensive.
- Don’t use your car all of the time. A lower annual mileage can convince insurers to lower your premium.
- Pay annually. When you pay annually, you won’t be charged interest on your monthly instalments.
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer you make your car, the less of a risk you are to insure, the lower your premium will be.
- Shop around. Your renewal offer is rarely the best deal you can snap up. You’ll be surprised at how much you could save by shopping around and assessing your options.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Abarth 500 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Abarth 500 falls under and the average cost of insurance based on the driver’s age and location.
Ford Mustang insurance group
Find out the average cost of insurance for a Ford Mustang based on the specific model version, the driver’s age and their location.
Honda CR-Z insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Honda CR-Z falls under and how much it might cost to insure.
Nissan GTR insurance group
Find out how much it might cost to insure a Nissan GTR based on the model version, the driver’s age and their location.
Jeep Renegade insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Jeep Renegade falls under, how much it might cost to insure one and how to save on your car insurance.
Mitsubishi Colt insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Mitsubishi Colt falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota Celica insurance group
Find out how much it might cost to inure a Toyota Celica based on the specific model version.
Renault Zoe insurance group and cost
Find out the the average cost of car insurance for various different Renault Zoe models.
Suzuki Vitara insurance group and cost
Find out which insurance group the Suzuki Vitara falls under and the average cost of car insurance.
Toyota Avensis insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Avensis falls under and how much it costs to insure.