Car insurance group 22
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 22 and how much it might cost to insure them based on the specific model version, the driver's age and their location.
When it comes to insurance, all vehicles are assigned an insurance group from 1 (cheapest) to 50 (most expensive), and this helps work out the cost of your car insurance premiums.
There are 50 groups in total, and insurance group 22 vehicles are on the cheaper side to insure.
The cars that fall in this group usually score well in factors used to determine the insurance group ratings, such as having good car safety and security features and possessing less powerful engines.
Car insurance groups explained
These 50 groups were created by Thatcham Research to help insurers determine how much to charge to insure a particular vehicle.
The insurance group a particular model falls into depends on a variety of factors. These include security features, the cost of repairs and vehicle performance.
These aren’t the only factors that insurers take into account. They’ll also take personal factors, such as your age, driving history and location, into account.
Car makes and models in insurance group 22
Here is a shortlist of the more popular cars in insurance group 22. These are all likely to fall on the cheaper side when it comes to your car insurance premiums.
|Insurance group||Car make/model||Details|
|22||Peugeot 308||This family car benefits from low running costs due to its 1.2-litre engine. It also received a 5-star rating from Euro NCAP.|
|22||Volkswagen Polo||This popular vehicle won the “Small Car of the Year” award at the WhatCar? awards in 2019.|
|22||SEAT Leon||This affordable family car looks spacious, sporty and fun. It’s comfortable to drive and has plenty of safety features included.|
|22||Subaru XV||This small SUV is a comfortable ride and it ranked 5th out of 31 manufacturers in the latest WhatCar? reliability survey.|
|22||Nissan Leaf||This electric hatchback was voted Stuff magazine’s Car of the Year in 2019. It received a 5-star crash rating from Euro NCAP.|
|22||Volkswagen Scirocco||This coupe has a 2.0-litre engine and it scored a 5-star crash rating from Euro NCAP. Its safety features include electronic stability control.|
|22||Ford Fiesta||With strong fuel economy and low Co2 emissions, this small hatchback is as popular as ever. It won the Auto Express Supermini Car of the Year in 2019.|
|22||Volvo V40||The Volvo V40 is a five-door family car and has an impressive range of safety features, including a rollover cage and laser-based braking units.|
Cars in insurance group 22 and the average cost by driver’s age
Using the table below, you can determine how much you’re likely to pay for your car insurance based on your vehicle model and age.
Why are cars in group 22 one of the cheapest?
Cars in insurance group 22 tend to score well for the following attributes:
- Lower market value
- Good security features
- A vast range of safety features
- Inexpensive to source parts
- Inexpensive to make repairs
- Smaller engine size
- Quicker repair times
What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
Along with your car’s insurance group, these three factors also have a significant impact on the cost of your insurance:
- Engine type and capacity. The bigger your engine, the more you’re likely to pay for insurance. With a smaller engine, you’ll usually be seen as a lower risk to an insurer. This is usually reflected with a lower premium.
- Driver location. Your location has a big impact on the likelihood of your car being stolen or involved in an accident. Insurers will consider this when calculating your insurance premium. A 30-year-old in central London will pay £974 for insurance for a Volvo V40 D3 ES (Nav) 5d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £830.
- Driver age. The age of the driver plays a huge role in determining the cost of your insurance premium too. The average 20-year-old driver in London could pay £1,694 for the Volkswagen Passat SE 2.0 TDI Evo SCR 150PS DSG auto 5d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £887.
Various other factors are also used to calculate the cost of your premiums. These include the following:
- The model and age of your car
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
- Your car’s safety rating, security and anti-theft precautions
- Your driving activity
- Your driving history
- No-claims discount
How can I save on my car insurance premiums?
Choosing a car in insurance group 22 (or lower) is a great way to reduce the price of your premium.
On top of that, there are many other things you can do to drive down the cost of your car insurance.
Here are some ideas:
- Drive safely. It may sound obvious but having driving convictions on your record will make your premium skyrocket.
- Don’t use your car all of the time. You could save money on your insurance by reducing the number of miles you drive in your car per year. Consider whether it’s possible to opt for public transport or to walk for a specific journey.
- Pay annually. By paying annually, you’ll usually end up with a cheaper deal since you won’t be charged interest on your monthly instalments.
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer you make your car, the less of a risk you’ll appear to insurers and the cheaper your premium will be.
- Shop around. When it’s time for renewal, don’t blindly accept your renewal quote. Shop around to find the best deal from other insurance companies.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Volvo V60 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volvo V60 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Chrysler Ypsilon insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Chrysler Ypsilon falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Lotus Elise insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Lotus Elise falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Bora insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volkswagen Bora falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Skoda Roomster insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Skoda Roomster falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot RCZ insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot RCZ falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Fortwo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Fortwo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Sedona insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Sedona falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota Supra insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Supra falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot 407 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 407 falls under and how much it costs to insure.