Car insurance group 33
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 33 and how much it might cost to insure them based on the driver's age and location.
What is insurance group 33?
There are 50 car insurance groups in the UK, created by the Group Rating Panel and administered by Thatcham Research, to help insurers work out an appropriate cost for your car insurance premium.
Vehicles in group 33 are among the more expensive vehicles to insure. The cars in this group usually score above average for various factors used to determine the group ratings, such as market value, repair cost and engine size. Car safety and security features are also considered.
In this guide, we will explore these factors used to place cars in insurance group 33, plus those that determine the cost of your car insurance.
Car makes and models in insurance group 33
There’s a number of well-known vehicles in insurance group 33 that are likely to fall on the more expensive side when it comes to your car insurance premium.
|Insurance group||Car make/model||Details|
|33||Abarth 695||This small hatchback drives fast with a 1.4-litre turbocharged engine, capable of going from 0-62 mph in only 5.9 seconds. Its small frame makes it easy to overcome tight corners.|
|33||Audi S1||This small hot hatch holds a 2.0-litre engine capable of digging itself from the tightest corners.|
|33||BMW 4-Series||This 2-door vehicle boasts a range of safety features, including standard automated emergency braking with pedestrian detection.|
|33||Hyundai i800||This large family van comes with a 2.5-litre engine. It offers plenty of room and is easy to maintain.|
|33||Lexus NX||This tech-savvy SUV can be powered by a 2.5-litre hybrid or a 2.0-litre turbo petrol engine. Its safety features include standard adaptive cruise control.|
|33||Mercedes E-Class||This medium-sized car is armed with class-leading technology and a touch-sensitive steering wheel.|
|33||Ford Fiesta ST||The Ford Fiesta ST is an easy-to-drive hatchback powered by a 197-hp turbocharged 1.6-litre 4-cylinder engine.|
|33||Peugeot e-2008 SUV||A small yet fierce mini-SUV. Safety features include park assist, emergency braking, lane assist and blind spot monitoring.|
Cars in insurance group 33 and the average cost by driver’s age
The table below will help you work out how much you’re likely to pay for your car insurance, based on the make and model of your car and your age.
Why are cars in group 33 more expensive to insure?
Cars in insurance group 33 usually possess the following characteristics:
- Expensive to source parts and make repairs
- Market value is on the higher side
- Larger engine size
- Longer repair times
What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
Along with your car’s insurance group, these three factors are also likely to have a significant impact on the cost of your insurance:
- Engine type and capacity. The larger your engine, the more you’re likely to pay for insurance. This is due to repair costs and potentially the likelihood of your vehicle being involved in an accident.
- Driver location. Your location will be considered when calculatng the likelihood of you making a claim. If you live in an area where a lot of claims are made, your premium will be higher. As an example, a 30-year-old in central London will pay £1,062 for insurance for a Volvo S60 D5 (215bhp) SE Lux (Start Stop) 4d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £899.
- Driver age. Like location, the age of the driver plays a huge role in determining the cost of your insurance premium. Insurers will use previous claims data to determine the likelihood of someone your age making a claim. This works against younger drivers in particular. The average 20-year-old driver in London could pay £1,846 for the Audi TT 1.8T FSI S Line 2d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £967.
However, there are a lot of other factors that can also impact the price of your premium. These include the following:
- Your marital status
- Your credit history
- Your occupation
- Your car’s safety rating
- Your car’s security features
- The likelihood of your model being stolen
- The model and age of your car
- Your driving activity
- Your driving history
- Your no-claim discount
How can I save on my car insurance premium?
Choosing a car in a lower insurance group is a great way to reduce the price of your car insurance.
Here are some more things you can do to lower the cost of your premium.
- Avoid convictions. Having driving convictions on your record will make your premium more expensive. Criminal convictions could also have an impact.
- Reduce your annual mileage. Drivers with a lower annual mileage are considered lower risks by insurers. So, consider if there are journeys you could complete by public transport or by walking.
- Pay annually. By paying annually, you avoid having to pay interest on your monthly instalments.
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer you make your car, the cheaper your premium will be.
- Shop around. When it’s time for renewal, make sure you compare your options – you’ll be surprised at how much you could save by switching providers.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Car insurance group 31
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 31 and how much it might cost to insure them based on the driver’s age and their location.
Car insurance group 47
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 47 and the average cost of insurance.
Car insurance group 48
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 48 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 50
Find out which cars are listed in insurance group 50 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 49
Find out which cars are in insurance group 49 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 46
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 46 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 41
Find out the list of cars in insurance group 41 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 43
Find out the cars listed in insurance group 43 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 44
Find out what cars are in insurance group 44 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 45
Find out which cars are listed in insurance group 45 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Ask an Expert