Revolut review Ireland
A current account with smart budgeting tools, free global spending, cryptocurrencies and more.
Revolut is a digital banking app and card designed to help you easily manage and spend your money. It’s a good option for those who want a simple way to manage their money, to save on foreign currency or want access to premium features.
This review covers what you need to know about Revolut in Ireland, including how it works and what it costs, to help you decide whether Revolut is right for you.
Currency conversion fee
How does Revolut work?Revolut is a digital banking app that lets you spend and manage your money globally at a minimal cost. When you sign up, you will need to choose between four account tiers: Standard, Plus, Premium and Metal. Prices start at €0 per month for the Standard account and go up to €13.99 per month for Metal.
All four account types come with a Euro IBAN account, a UK current account and a bank card so you can spend your money. You can spend in over 150 currencies at the interbank exchange rate (the same, lower rate bank’s use to exchange money to other banks) as well as enjoy no-fee exchanges with 30 fiat currencies. There are a number of features that come with each account tier, such as free ATM withdrawals, as well as exclusive features that come with the paid accounts.
Key features of Revolut
Payments and budgeting
- Apple Pay and Google Pay. You can pay with either Google Pay or Apple Pay using Revolut.
- Pay friends. You’re able to pay other people with ease and use the Group Bills feature to divide a group spend. Or send links and QR codes to friends reminding them to pay you.
- View spending habits. Using analytics, your spending will be categorised by type of transaction, by merchant or by country.
- Organise bills. Use Revolut Pockets to stay on top of all your bills and other spending with automatic payments.
- Manage subscriptions.Organise all your subscriptions in one place, find out when free trials end or block subscriptions you no longer want.
Cards and banking needs
- Current account and IBAN. You get a UK account number and sort code as well as a European IBAN. You can set up recurring payments, withdraw cash at ATMs, make contactless payments and use both Apple Pay and Google Pay. You’ll be able to view your balance on a spending-visualisations screen.
- Control your card and account. You can lock and unlock your card in the Revolut app as well as set monthly spending limits.
- Kid’s account included. Revolut Junior is a money management platform aimed at children aged seven to 17 years old. This feature lets parents or guardians securely manage their child’s spending in a sub-account within the app.
- Save money. Revolut’s Vault feature lets you build up funds for a specific funding goal. Keep in mind it doesn’t pay any interest like a normal savings account, but it can be helpful for saving towards short-term goals.
- Invest in cryptocurrency. You can invest in over 30 cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin, Ether, Ripple and Stellar. Revolut lets you invest from just €1. You can then sell and transfer your crypto, set up price alerts and auto exchanges and track mark movements in real-time.
- Invest in commodities. You can invest in gold and silver via the Revolut app and stay on top of the prices in the markets. You can also round up spare change in commodities or keep it in a Revolut vault.
- Make international payments. The Revolut app lets you transfer money to 30 currencies at the interbank exchange rate (the same rates banks give each other). And transferring money to other revolut users is free.
- Spend globally fee-free.All spending abroad is charged at the interbank rate.
- Book travel. Revolut’s Stays is its travel-booking feature. You can access Stays in your Revolut app and book a range of accommodations. No booking fees apply and you can earn up to 10% cashback on your booking.
What are the card options?
Revolut offers 4 account tiers: Standard, Plus, Premium and Metal. Each of these accounts come with different levels of benefits and a different monthly fee.
Revolut has a certain number of charges to be aware of:
- Monthly fees: You will pay no monthly fee for the Standard account, €2.99 for Plus, €7.99 for the Premium account and €13.99 for the Metal account.
- ATM fees. A 2% ATM fee will apply if you withdraw over the monthly limit for your chosen account (with a minimum of €1 per withdrawal): €200 per month for Standard, €200 per month for Plus, €400 per month for Premium and €800 per month for Metal.
- Currency exchange fees. If you have the Standard or Plus account you are limited to Up to €1,000 per month, after which a 0.5% fee is charged.
- SWIFT transfers. Premium and Metal account holders are entitled to one free SWIFT transfer per month.
- Investments markup. There is a markup on cryptocurrencies and commodities exchange for all accounts. For Standard and Plus, you’ll be charged a 2.5% markup for crypto and 1.5% for commodities. Premium and Metal account holders are charged a 1.5% markup for crypto and 0.25% for commodities.
Pros and cons
- Free UK and Euro IBAN accounts. Enjoy using your free UK and Euro IBAN accounts.
- Fee-free ATM Withdrawl. Pay no fees on withdrawals up to €200 (2% of withdrawal amount fee thereafter with a minimum of €1 per withdrawal).
- Revolut Junior. Open a Revolut Junior account for at least 1 child (more junior accounts can be opened with the higher tier accounts).
- No interest on savings. Although Revolut says the feature of daily interest on savings is in the pipeline, it’s not available in Ireland yet.
- No cashback. Cashback on card payments is not available except for Revolut Metal users.
- No phone support. Revolut does not offer phone support. However, Premium and Metal users do have access to the priority in-app chat option.
Revolut is a great option for those that travel often, trade cryptocurrency or want budgeting tools and premium banking features. Each of the Revolut accounts suit different needs, so take time to consider the features and decide which account level will be useful to you. If you’re going to use all the features on offer, the Premium and Metal accounts are excellent options to consider.
If you’re unsure if you’ll use the features in the higher tier accounts, sign up for a free account first. If you find yourself wanting more after getting to grips with the entry-level accounts, you can easily upgrade to Revolut Premium or Revolut Metal later on.
If you’re looking for exclusivity in the form of unlimited foreign exchanges and cashback on purchases, it’s the Revolut Metal account that you’ll want to turn to. You’ll find all these features and more. Just be sure to shop around and compare your options first.
Experiences from other Revolut users
Revolut scores 4.4 out of 5 based on 96,950+ reviews and is rated Excellent on Trustpilot.
|User ratings||# of reviews||What do customers say|
|4.4 / 5||96,950+|
*Note: Information provided is based on the reviews and rating on Trustpilot (24 November 2021).
How to apply
You can sign up to Revolut by clicking “Go to Site” so you can head to Revolut and register. You will need to be at least 18 years old. Once you’ve submitted the required personal details you need to confirm your email and then your identity. To verify your identity, jump into the profile section of the app and supply a government-issued ID and a selfie. After you sign up, you can request a contactless Revolut card and begin using your account.
Compare Revolut with other digital banks in Ireland
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.