Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser disclosure

How to file for SR-22 insurance in Indiana

Get cheap SR-22 insurance in Indiana

How much does an SR-22 cost in Indiana?

Once you’ve purchased or renewed a policy, most providers will file an SR-22 for a fee of $20 to $50. One or more reinstatement fees may also be required once your filing period is up.
But the fees aren’t what’s expensive — your insurance premiums will rise.

The impact of an SR-22 on your car insurance rates

SR-22s are often required after a driving conviction, such as driving without insurance or a DUI. After such a conviction, you’re considered a “high risk” driver by the state and most providers — which typically results in higher insurance rates. Still, you’ll find providers out there that specialize in high-risk drivers.
Talk to your provider about how much you can expect your rates to increase.

How do I file an SR-22 in Indiana?

  1. Notify your insurer. If you already have car insurance, contact your agent and tell them you need an SR-22. They’ll file it on your behalf.
  2. Find an insurer. Not all providers will insure people required to file an SR-22. If your current provider doesn’t cover you, find someone who will.
  3. Pay the SR-22 fee. To finalize your SR-22, you’ll pay a processing fee to your insurer.
  4. Verify minimum liability coverage. Utah has a 25/50/25 minimum liability insurance requirement. If you’re already insured, call your provider to make sure your policy includes at least:
    • $25,000 for bodily injury or death of one person.
    • $50,000 for bodily injury or death of more than one person.
    • $25,000 for property damage.
  5. Submit your SR-22. In Indiana, your insurance provider must electronically file your SR22 form for you.

How long will I need an SR-22 for in Indiana?

In Indiana, you’re required to maintain an SR-22 from three following your first or second insurance suspension. After your third or subsequent suspensions, you’re required to maintain your SR-22 for five years.

Make sure you understand your role in maintaining your insurance and your SR-22. A lapse or nonrenewal could set you back a lot of money and time.

What happens if I let my SR-22 lapse?

If a lapse occurs at any point during the mandated three to five years your insurer will file an SR-26 with the state. When the BMV receives this report your license will be suspended until your SR-22 coverage is renewed or until the requirement period ends.

What happens when I don’t need SR-22 coverage anymore?

You must confirm with the BMV that your SR-22 period is up before you cancel your insurance. Once you’ve notified the BMV and paid any reinstatement fees, you may change your policy.

Do I need SR-22 insurance in Indiana?

Your state DMV will let you know if you need to file an SR-22. Indiana law may require you to file an SR-22 if you’re driving privileges have been suspended for:

  • Any auto accident that results in a report being sent to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV).
  • A misdemeanor or felony traffic violation.
  • Three pointable moving violations within two years.
  • Insurance violations.

What if I don’t have a car or a license?

You still need to file an SR-22 if you want to get your license reinstated, even if you don’t own a car. Ask your insurance provider about non-owner or operator insurance policy.

What if I’m from another state?

If you have an SR-22 from another state, you must maintain it while driving in Indiana. Your SR-22 is likely to be sufficient in Indiana, but it’s best to verify coverage with the BMV and your insurer.

Bottom line

Three to five years of maintaining a filing can be a pain, but paying extra reinstatement fees and having your license suspended is an even bigger headache. Stay on top of your insurance payments and maintain a clean record during your filing period to avoid the extra hassle and cost.

With higher premiums, it’s even more important to shop around for insurance. Compare your options and find the policy that fits your budget and your needs.

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site