We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Wells Fargo balance transfer credit cards
Get a balance transfer intro APR up to 18 months long.
Wells Fargo can be a good choice for balance transfers as it offers credit cards with attractive rewards and solid intro APRs. One card even has a zero-interest balance transfer intro APR that lasts a year and a half.
Compare Wells Fargo balance transfer credit cards
Wells Fargo balance transfer cards have intro balance transfer zero-interest periods ranging from six to 18 months.
What are the benefits of a balance transfer with Wells Fargo?
Here’s why you might consider Wells Fargo for your balance transfer:
Intro APR up to 18 months.
The Wells Fargo Platinum Card offers a 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 18 months. After that, a 17.49% to 26.99% variable applies. This is a good deal as intro APRs typically top out at around 21 months.
You could receive a low ongoing APR.
The Wells Fargo Platinum Card has an ongoing purchase and balance transfer APR as low as a 17.49% variable. You’ll have a better chance of qualifying for this rate if you have an excellent credit score.
Relatively long window to qualify for the intro APR.
With qualifying Wells Fargo cards, balance transfers made within the first 120 days of account opening are eligible for the intro APR. Other cards might require you to make transfers within 45 or 60 days to qualify for an intro APR.
The college card has a balance transfer intro APR.
It’s uncommon for college cards to have balance transfer intro APRs. Still, consider paying off your credit card debt consistently to be on the path toward responsible credit use.
What are the drawbacks of a balance transfer with Wells Fargo?
Here’s why you might not want to make a balance transfer with Wells Fargo:
Relatively high ongoing percentage fee for balance transfers.
With eligible cards, the balance transfer fee is $5 or 3% of the transfer for the first 120 days from account opening. After that, you’ll pay a 5% transfer fee with a minimum of $5. This is higher than average.
What debts are eligible for a balance transfer with Wells Fargo?
- Non-Wells Fargo credit cards
- Wells Fargo credit cards
Can I transfer balances to another Wells Fargo card?
No. This policy is standard across most US banks.
You can apply for a Wells Fargo card if you:
- Are at least 18 years old.
- Have a valid Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.
What do I need to apply?
Submit these details when you apply for a Wells Fargo card:
- Full name
- Permanent address
- Email address and phone number
- Citizenship status
- Date of birth, Social Security number and mother’s maiden name
- Employment information and total annual income
How to apply for a balance transfer with Wells Fargo
- Pick a Wells Fargo card and verify its terms. Click Terms and Conditions on the card’s page to check the card’s balance transfer intro APR, ongoing APR and fees.
- Apply for the card. You can request balance transfers as you apply for a card. There’s no limit to how many you can request, though your transfer amounts will be constrained by the credit limit you receive.
- Wait for your balance transfer to finish. As you wait for your transfer to complete, keep paying your creditors to avoid credit score drops and late fees.
How long will it take to complete a balance transfer with Wells Fargo?
If you’re approved for the card, expect your card in the mail within 10 business days. After you receive your card, allow another 10 business days for your transfer to complete.
I got the card. Now what?
Check that your balance transfer is complete. Log in to your Wells Fargo account and check your transaction history.
You can also call Wells Fargo to verify your transfer has posted.
Consider closing accounts with previous creditors.
Make timely payments. Keep up with your card bills to maintain your intro APR and avoid late fees.
You may want to break up your transfer balance into monthly payments so you can pay it off before your intro APR expires.
- Contact customer support. Call Wells Fargo credit card account management at 800-642-4720.
Wells Fargo has a strong stable of balance transfer cards. The longest intro you’ll find is 18 months, which is excellent.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert