Capital One offers travel rewards, low interest rates, low fees and cash back rewards credit cards that will let you earn capital toward your next goals.
Capital One, one of America’s most recognizable brands, offers a wide range of features and rewards depending on your needs. Available credit cards include student, business, travel rewards, cash back rewards, and secured cards to build your credit score. Capital One has partnered with Visa and Mastercard, which indicates that their cards are accepted worldwide.
- Fortune 500 ranked. Capital One stands at #126 in the Fortune 500 ranking list.
- America’s Best Employers. Forbes ranked Capital One as one of the best employers in the United States.
- Best Credit Card Rewards. Capital One offers one of the best cash rewards programs according to CardHub.
Compare Capital One credit cards
With low, intro rates, no annual fees, travel rewards and business credit cards to choose from, Capital One is likely to have a credit card that meets your needs. Each card provides their own features you can benefit from. For example, earn 1.5% cash back on everyday purchases, 2 dollars per mile, and 0% intro APR for 12 months. When applying online you can see if you’re prequalified in 60 seconds or less without affecting your credit score.
- Travel rewards credit cards
Capital One has 4 credit cards with travel rewards: The Venture Rewards, VentureOne Rewards, Spark Miles for Business and Spark Miles Select for Business. With these cards you can earn unlimited rewards on every purchase, and your rewards don’t expire. Plus, earn bonus miles if you spend a certain amount on purchases within the first 3 months.
- Cash back rewards credit cards
Depending on the card you choose, earn up to 1.5% cashback on every purchase, and 0% intro APR for 9 months on purchases and balance transfers. Your rewards never expire and you can redeem them at anytime. Also, you can take advantage of fraud coverage, security alerts and an extended warranty on items purchased with the card.
- Student credit cards
Build credit and earn cash back with the Journey Student credit card. Earn 1% back on all purchases and pay on time to increase your cash back total to 1.25% for that month. Enjoy unlimited access to CreditWise to help you monitor your credit profile, access a higher credit line after making your first 5 monthly payments, and save money with no foreign transaction or annual fees.
- Business credit cards
Capital One offers 2 types of business credit cards. Spark Business Cash Rewards Cards and Spark Business Miles Rewards Cards. You can earn up to 2% cash back and a bonus for signing up with the Spark Business Cash Rewards Card. The Spark Business Miles Rewards Card features one-time bonus miles and the ability to earn up to 2 miles per dollar on all purchases.
- Secured credit cards
The Secured Mastercard from Capital One has a refundable deposit of $49, $99 or $200, which gets you a $200 initial credit line. By making your first 5 monthly payments on time you will be eligible for a higher credit line.
Capital One benefits include a variety of options that only cardholders can use with ease. The benefits of Capital One include:
- Online banking. With online banking you can manage all of your Capital One credit cards in one centralized place. You can activate your new credit card online and create an online banking profile to view your account information. Online banking with Capital One is easy — you can make payments online, set up account alerts and view your credit card rewards and statements.
- 24/7 customer service. At Capital One customer service agents are available to help you 24 hours a day. You can reach Capital One via telephone, mail, or their online chat feature located on the website.
- Account alerts. You can set up customizable account alerts by email or text message for the activities you want to track in your account. This benefit can help you pay bills on time and track your spending.
How to apply for a credit card with Capital One
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
- Applicants must be 18 years old or older to apply
- Applicants must be in the following locations: the 50 United States, Washington, D.C., or a U.S. military location
- Applicants must have a Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
- To complete the application, have the following information and documents ready.
- Full name
- Social Security number
- Date of birth
- Physical address (No P.O. Boxes)
- Estimated gross annual income
Frequently asked questions
Why does Capital One ask for personal information on the application form?
Your Social Security number is needed to pull information from the credit bureaus to review data like your annual gross income. It’s also required by federal law to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies for each person who opens an account.
Can I use a P.O. box to apply for a Capital One credit card?
To open a credit card account with Capital One you need a physical address due to federal regulations. You can always update your mailing address to a P.O box after you’ve opened the account.
Can I apply with a co-applicant?
No, Capital One does not offer this service at this time. Although you can add an authorized user once the account is opened.
What credit score do I need to apply for a Capital One credit card?
It depends on the Capital One credit card you select. A secured card offers someone with average credit to apply, whereas with a travel card you may need excellent credit to be considered.
What will be the credit limit?
Once approved for a credit card, Capital One will further review your application and determine your credit limit. You should receive written notification about this within 7-10 business days.
When will I receive my Capital One credit card?
If approved, you will receive your credit card by mail within 7-10 business days.
How can I increase my credit line with Capital One?
You can increase your credit line with Capital One by applying online in your account profile and by telephone. When looking at credit line increases, Capital One will consider your on-time payment history, average monthly payment amount, credit bureau information, and credit score.