Whether you’re traveling or rebuilding your credit, this bank offers over a dozen cards in multiple categories.
You may have seen a few Capital One commercials on TV, only to be left wondering whether the bank’s cards were actually any good.
Luckily, Capital One has a strong collection of cards, and it may well be your next favorite provider. You’ll find products with great rewards, as well as robust student and secured cards.
Compare Capital One credit cards
Best Capital One credit cards
Capital One offers over a dozen cards, including cashback, travel, secured and student products. Here are the top cards you can choose from.
Jump to …
- Venture® from Capital One®: Best for travel
- Quicksilver® from Capital One®: Best for cash back
- Journey® Student Credit Card from Capital One®: Best for students
- Secured Mastercard® from Capital One®: Best for rebuilding credit
- Spark® Cash from Capital One® or Spark® Miles from Capital One®: Best for businesses
Best for travel: Venture® from Capital One®
Venture® from Capital One®Read more
You’ll also find a no-annual-fee option — the VentureOne® from Capital One®. It’s a good card, but it’s slightly outclassed by competitors like the Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card and Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card.
Best for cash back: Quicksilver® from Capital One®
Quicksilver® from Capital One®Read more
Capital One offers a great cashback card with Quicksilver® from Capital One®. You’ll earn a simple 1.5% cash back on all purchases. You’ll also get a strong intro APR and a shot at a healthy signup bonus.
If you’re a foodie, look into the Savor® Rewards from Capital One®, which offers excellent cash back on dining.
Best for students: Journey® Student Credit Card from Capital One®
Journey® Student Credit Card from Capital One®
Earn 1% cash back on all your purchases. Pay on time to boost your cash back to a total of 1.25% for that month.
Student cards aren’t known for their high credit limits, but luckily Capital One may raise your limit if you meet certain requirements. It’s a nice bonus that rewards responsible card use.
Best for rebuilding credit: Secured Mastercard® from Capital One®
Secured Mastercard® from Capital One®
Take control and build your credit with responsible use.
Best for businesses: Spark® Cash from Capital One® or Spark® Miles from Capital One® (tie)
Spark® Cash from Capital One®
Unlimited 2% cash back from Spark Cash could mean thousands of dollars each year going back into your business. No minimum to redeem.
Spark® Miles from Capital One®
Earn unlimited 2X miles on every purchase for your business, with no blackouts or seat restrictions, and no minimum to redeem.
Capital One rewards program
Capital One rewards cards offer either cash back or miles.
If you earn cash back, you can redeem it for rewards that include:
- Statement credit.
- Cash rewards in the form of a check.
- Gift cards.
If you earn miles, you can redeem them for rewards that include:
- Statement credit for travel purchases.
- Cash rewards in the form of a check.
- Account credit.
- Gift cards.
How can you redeem rewards?
To redeem rewards, log in to your credit card account on the Capital One website. Then navigate to the Redeem Rewards page.
How much are rewards worth?
Capital One miles are worth 1 cent apiece, which is standard across the industry.
Typical features and benefits of a Capital One card
- No annual fee or first-year fee waived. Capital One’s cards are split between no-annual-fee products and cards that have a $95 annual fee that’s waived for the first year.
- Rewards. Choose between cards that offer either cash back or miles. The only exception is the secured card, which doesn’t offer any rewards.
- No foreign transaction fees. You might be surprised to find no foreign transaction fees for certain cards. For example, the Quicksilver® from Capital One® charges no foreign transaction fees, while similar cards usually do.
- Signup bonus. Capital One signup bonuses generally have relatively low spending requirements.
- Ongoing APRs between 13% and 24% variable. Before applying for a Capital One card, look closely at its purchase and balance transfer APRs. Interest rates vary widely between this provider’s products.
- Excellent credit required for some cards. Many providers accept cardholders with good credit. For several of its cards, Capital One recommends applying with excellent credit.
How to apply for a Capital One card
Visit the Capital One website and click Apply Now on the credit card page. Before you apply, check that you meet the eligibility requirements and have the required information on hand.
- You’re at least 18 years old.
- You have a Social Security number or tax identification number.
- You live in the United States or a US military location.
- Your monthly income exceeds your monthly rent or mortgage payment by at least $425.
Information you’ll need
To complete the application, you’ll need to provide information that includes:
- Your name and residential address.
- Your Social Security number.
- Your email address, phone number and date of birth.
- Financial information like your annual income and income source.
How does Capital One keep my credit card information secure?
Capital One encrypts your data with 128-bit Secure Socket Layer (SSL), which hides your information from unauthorized third parties. When you’re on the Capital One website, you’ll see a lock symbol next to your browser’s address bar. This indicates you have a secure connection with the provider’s website.
If you like viewing your credit card account on your mobile phone, you can use Capital One’s mobile app. Use it to pay your bills, monitor your account activity, redeem rewards, or send money to friends and family.
Capital One will send you email or text alerts if it detects unusual transactions. And through the Capital One Wallet app, you can opt to receive real-time notifications when your card is used.
Capital One has an impressive stable of cards, including annual-fee and no-annual-fee options. Whether you’re looking to rebuild your credit, earn flat cash back or rack up travel rewards, it likely has a card to fit your unique situation.
If you’re not sure whether a Capital One product is right for you, check out other credit card providers to compare more options.