Kia insurance rates
What to expect when insuring a Kia, and the insurers that could cover you.
Kia cars are gaining popularity. In fact, the car maker managed to secure its place at number 10 on the UK’s best selling car brands list for 2017. Kia has plenty on offer. All its cars come with a whopping seven-year warranty and there’s a large range of affordable models to suit every budget – from its tiny Kia Picanto to the bigger Kia Sorrento. If you decide to go for a Kia, read on to see how much it might cost to insure.
What’s the average insurance cost for a Kia?
The insurance cost for a Kia varies greatly depending on the model you select and your own circumstances. We used a specific profile to run quotes for a Kia Sportage, one of the more popular Kia models in the UK, and found that it amounts to £848 a year or £83 a month. This is for fully comprehensive cover and no optional extras. Your actual cost could be more or less depending on your driving record, the number of miles you drive in a year and other factors.
Some of the variables that affect the price of insurance include your age and your location, as well as the year, model and trim package of your Kia.
How a vehicle from Kia affects insurance costs
Kias are affordable vehicles, which makes insurance more affordable as well. These cars are not costly to repair or replace, which helps to bring down the cost of insurance. Newer Kia models also do well in safety tests from the European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP), another factor insurance companies consider when determining the cost of your insurance premium.
However, some Kias are targeted by thieves, including the Kia Niro Hybrid, Optima and the Optima Plug-in-Hybrid all with keyless entry systems. This can increase the cost of insurance.
Pros and cons of Kias
- Newer models do well in safety tests
- Reasonable to repair or replace
- Reasonably efficient
- Targeted by thieves
About the Kia brand
Kia traces its roots back to 1944 as Kyungsung Precision Industry, a manufacturer of bicycle parts and steel tubing. It eventually went on to produce Korea’s first bicycle in 1951. The following year, it changed its name to Kia Industries and its first integrated car assembly plant was opened in 1973.
Kia car facts
- Kia Motors is the second largest car manufacturer in South Korea after Hyundai. It began as a South Korean bicycle manufacturer in 1944.
- Following Kia’s bankruptcy in 1997 during the Asian financial crisis, Hyundai became Kia’s largest stakeholder and now part owns Kia Motors.
- Kia models suit a range of budgets from its smallest car, the Kia Picanto, which sells from £9,720, to the bigger Kia Sorrento, priced from for £30,225.
- Kia began selling cars in the UK in 1991 as part of Kia Motors Europe.
- The Pride model was the first and only Kia car to be sold in the UK in 1991 initially with almost 1,800 sold in its first year. Its replacement was the Picanto, the very first five-door city car.
- Since its introduction in 2004, the Picanto became the UK’s best selling Kia although the Kia Sportage is steadily gaining quite a following.
UVO is an infotainment and telematics system that provides Kia owners with eServices. Features include navigation, diagnostics, rear-camera display, emergency assistance and parking minder. When you download the UVO app onto your smartphone, you can access remote commands such as climate control, lock/unlock, vehicle status, find my car and more.
UVO was available for most Kia models after 2014.
Kias are generally affordable to insure, barring any personal factors, but be sure to shop around to find the best car insurance for you.
Other car brands you might want to see rates for include:
Frequently asked questions about Kia
Ask an Expert