Car insurance group 28
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 28 and how much it might cost to insure them.
What is insurance group 28?
With insurance groups ranging from 1-50, vehicles in group 28 typically cost slightly above average to insure. The cars that fall in this group usually score OK in factors used to determine the group ratings, such as having good security features, car safety ratings and possessing less powerful engines.
However, insurers take into account other factors, such as your age, location and driving history, so it’s always important to compare policies to find one that works for you.
Car makes and models in insurance group 28
There are plenty of popular cars in insurance group 28. These are among the vehicles that cost slightly more than average to insure.
|Insurance group||Car make/model||Details|
|28||Audi A3 Sportback||This vehicle is the winner of the Used Car of the Year Award from WhatCar? 2020 and received a 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP.|
|28||BMW 1 Series Hatchback||This vehicle won the WhatCar? Car of the Year 2020. Its safety features include a heads-up display and auto emergency braking.|
|28||DS Crossback SUV||This large SUV was awarded five stars from Euro NCAP and ranks highly in its class for affordability.|
|28||Ford Galaxy||The solid Galaxy MPV was rated five stars for safety by Euro NCAP and features automatic emergency city braking.|
|28||Hyundai Santa Fe||This large seven-seat SUV is one of the most reliable cars in its class. It scored 2nd out of 26 in RepairPal’s reliability test.|
|28||Kia Sorento||This vehicle won the All-wheel Drive Car of the Year 2020 from AUTO BILD Allrad. This large SUV finished 7th out of 31 manufacturers in the WhatCar? reliability survey in 2020.|
|28||Range Rover Evoque SUV||This family SUV won Best Family SUV at the WhatCar? Awards 2020. Its safety features include a system that alerts the driver if they’re becoming tired.|
|28||Mazda MX-5||The MX-5 was rated as the most reliable sports car in the 2019 WhatCar? reliability survey.|
Cars in insurance group 28 and the average cost by driver’s age
Using the table below, you can look for your car’s make and model and work out how much your car insurance is likely to cost based on your age.
Why are cars in group 28 expensive to insure?
Cars in insurance group 28 usually rate as slightly above average for the following features.
- Market value
- Cost of sourcing parts
- Size of engine
- Repair time
In some cases, they may be lacking when it comes to security and safety features too.
What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
Along with your car’s insurance group, here are three more factors that have a significant impact on the cost of your insurance:
- Engine type and capacity. The bigger your engine, the more you’re likely to pay for insurance. That’s because it will cost more to repair or replace.
- Driver location. Your location plays a role in the likelihood of your car being stolen or damaged. Insurers use previous claims data to calculate this and adjust your premium accordingly. As an example, a 30-year-old in central London will pay £1,033 for insurance for a BMW x1 xDrive20i SE 5d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £902.
- Driver age. Statistically, your age plays a huge role in your likelihood of making a claim, with the youngest drivers being the most likely. That’s why younger drivers pay higher premiums. The average 20-year-old driver in London could pay £1,797 for the Jaguar XF 2.0d (180bhp) Prestige 4d Auto, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £941.
On top of these, there are plenty of other factors that can also impact the price of your premiums.
These include the following:
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
- Your car’s safety rating, security and anti-theft precautions
- The model and age of your car
- The likelihood of your model being stolen
- Your driving activity
- Your driving history
- Your no-claims discount
How can I save on my car insurance premiums?
Choosing a car with a low insurance group is a great way to reduce the price of your premium.
But there are other things you can do to lower the cost of your car insurance:
- Drive safely. It may sound obvious but having driving convictions on your record will make your premium skyrocket. Criminal convictions can affect your premium too.
- Reduce your annual mileage. Motorists who use their car less often are perceived as less of a risk to insurers and may receive a lower premium. So, consider where you could opt to take public transport or walk to keep your mileage, and premium, lower.
- Pay annually. By paying annually, you may end up with a cheaper deal as you won’t have to pay interest on monthly instalments.
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer you make your car, the less of a risk you’re perceived to be, the lower your premium will drop.
- Shop around. When it’s time for renewal, make sure you compare your options. You’ll be surprised by how much you can save by switching to a different insurer.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Car insurance group 31
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 31 and how much it might cost to insure them based on the driver’s age and their location.
Car insurance group 47
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 47 and the average cost of insurance.
Car insurance group 48
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 48 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 50
Find out which cars are listed in insurance group 50 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 49
Find out which cars are in insurance group 49 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 46
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 46 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 41
Find out the list of cars in insurance group 41 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 43
Find out the cars listed in insurance group 43 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 44
Find out what cars are in insurance group 44 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 45
Find out which cars are listed in insurance group 45 and how much it might cost to insure them.