Mazda MX-5 insurance group and cost
Compare car insurance costs for your Mazda MX-5 by age and location.
The Mazda MX-5 is one of the most well-known sports cars you’ll see on the road. This is because it’s historically offered good value for money. In this guide, we’ll look at car insurance costs for the MX-5 and how you could save on your premiums.
How much does it cost to insure a Mazda MX-5?
To give you an idea of how much it could cost you to insure your car, we ran a number of quotes to find an average figure. Our results estimated that, on average, you could insure your Mazda MX-5 with a comprehensive policy for the monthly price of £93.25, or an annual sum of £1,024.23.
- A 30-year-old, single teacher from London
- A homeowner
- 5 years’ no claims discount
- No driving or other convictions in the last 5 years
However, this is just an average: your actual premium will depend on a number of factors, including the insurance group the car is in.
Mazda MX-5 insurance groups
Mazda MX-5 models range from the mid-priced group 25 to the pricier group 34. This means the cost of insurance can vary significantly between various MX-5 models, from the more affordable end of the spectrum to just into the pricier end of the range. For example, a 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay:
- around £868 for cover on a Mazda MX-5 1.5 SE 2d, which is in insurance group 25
- or around £900 for a group 32 car, like the Mazda MX-5 SkyActiv-G 184ps GT Sport Nav+ 2d
In this example, the difference in price is an extra £32 per year for the sportier model that is seven insurance groups higher. The insurance group a model is placed in depends on a number of factors including the model’s engine size and price.
However, the insurance group isn’t the only factor determining the cost of your car insurance: one of the most important other factors is your age. The younger you are, the more risk you represent to insurers, and the more you’re likely to pay for insurance.
That’s why, in the table below, we show you the cost you’d be likely to pay at a few different ages.
Mazda MX-5 insurance cost by location
The table above shows the average cost of Mazda MX-5 insurance based on insurance groups and driver age. However, many other factors affect the cost of your car insurance premiums, and one of the biggest is where you are in the UK. Where you live helps determine the level of risk that your car may be stolen or that you’ll be involved in an accident, and this affects the cost of insurance.
To demonstrate the power of the postcode, here are some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for a Mazda MX-5 Skyactiv-G 1.5 132ps SE-L 2d.
- Expensive: £1,022 (London SE1)
- Average: £894 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £693 (Galashiels TD1)
What other factors affect my insurance rate?
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
- Your car’s safety rating score
- The model of your car, especially its engine size and capacity
- The age of your car
- Your car’s security and any extra anti-theft precautions
- Annual miles driven
- Your driving history and activity
- No-claims discount
Sign up for car helper
...and get free car insurance reminders.
How can I save on insurance premiums for my Mazda MX-5?
When searching for insurance, you’ll want to find the best deal for a price that’s within your budget. We’ve uncovered some tricks you can try to lower the cost of your premium: take a look below.
- Limit your car usage (where possible). Occasionally deciding to walk or get public transport, rather than using your car, can help to save on your premiums.
- Pay annually rather than monthly. It might be scary to part with a large sum in one go, but if you’re able to pay annually you may be able to save a good chunk of money each year.
- Don’t just accept your renewal quote. When it’s time for renewal, it’s worth investing a couple of hours to shop around: there may be cheaper options out there.
MX-5 models aren’t the cheapest to insure, but you can use the tips in this guide to help keep your premiums down. If you’re on the lookout for a car insurance provider, check out our comprehensive list of the best car insurance companies in the UK.
Frequently asked questions*51% of consumers could save £359.61 on their Car Insurance. The saving was calculated by comparing the cheapest price found with the average of the next five cheapest prices quoted by insurance providers on Seopa Ltd’s insurance comparison website. This is based on representative cost savings from November 2022 data. The savings you could achieve are dependent on your individual circumstances and how you selected your current insurance