Car insurance group 21
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 21 and how much it might cost to insure them.
What's in this guide?
- Car insurance group 21 explained
- Car makes and models in insurance group 21
- Cars in insurance group 21 and the average cost by driver's age
- Why are cars in group 21 one of the cheapest?
- What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
- How can I save on my car insurance premiums?
- Frequently asked questions
Car insurance group 21 explained
With insurance groups ranging from 1-50, vehicles in group 21 are on the cheaper side to insure.
The vehicles within this group score well in most of the factors used to determine the group ratings, including safety, security features and possessing less powerful engines.
However, there are also other personal factors that insurers take into account, such as your age, driving history and location.
Car makes and models in insurance group 21
Here are some of the more popular cars in insurance group 21 that are likely to fall on the cheaper side when it comes to your car insurance premiums.
|Insurance group||Car make/model||Details|
|21||Alfa Romeo||This hatchback has low running costs and ranks in the top 10 for reliability according to WhatCar?|
|21||BMW i3||The i3 electric hatchback comes with a range of up to 160 miles on a single charge. It also comes with plenty of safety features, such as stability control and six airbags.|
|21||Citroen DS 4||An eclectic mix of hatchback, coupe and SUV, the DS 4 was awarded a 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP and has an economical diesel engine.|
|21||Ford C-MAX||This practical MPV five-seater is a spacious hybrid, which is easy to control and regarded as being fun to drive.|
|21||Kia Soul||The Kia Soul won the World Urban Car of the Year 2020 (EV version). It has relatively low running costs and comes with a seven-year warranty.|
|21||Mazda 6||Mazda’s saloon car packs a powerful, yet discreet, diesel engine. It also comes with a first-rate safety kit.|
|21||Ford Fiesta||With strong fuel economy and low Co2 emissions, this small hatchback is as popular as ever. It won the Auto Express Supermini Car of the Year in 2019.|
|21||SEAT Leon||This family car has a small economical engine, making it more affordable in the long-term than rivals in this field.|
Cars in insurance group 21 and the average cost by driver’s age
Using the table below, you can discover how much you’re likely to pay to insure your specific vehicle based on your age.
Why are cars in group 21 one of the cheapest?
Cars in insurance group 21 score well in a number of factors that determine which group the car will fall under. These factors include the following:
- Good security and safety features
- Inexpensive parts to source
- Inexpensive repair costs
- Lower market value
- Smaller engine size
- Faster repair times
What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
Here are some other factors that have a significant impact on the cost of your insurance:
- Engine type and capacity. The bigger your engine, the more you’re likely to pay for insurance. That’s because larger engines cost more to repair or replace. With a smaller engine, you’ll be seen as less of a risk to an insurer and this is usually reflected with a lower premium.
- Driver location. Insurers factor in the likelihood that your car will be stolen or involved in an accident when calculating your insurance, and your location has a big impact on this. As an example, a 30-year-old in central London will pay £972 for insurance for a Fiat Punto 1.4 Multiair 16V Sporting (135bhp) 3d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £822.
- Driver age. Your age will play a huge role in determining the cost of your insurance premium. As an example, the average 20-year-old driver in London could pay £1,691 for the Ford Zetec 1.5T EcoBoost 150PS S/S auto 5d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £886.
Here are some other factors that can impact the price of your premiums.
- Your marital status
- Your credit history
- Your occupation
- Your car’s safety rating
- Your car’s security features and anti-theft precautions
- The model and age of your car
- Your driving activity
- Your driving history
- Your no-claims discount
How can I save on my car insurance premiums?
There are a few other things you can do to drop the cost of your car insurance:
- Drive safely. Having driving convictions on your record will make your premium more expensive.
- Don’t use your car all of the time. You could save money by reducing your annual mileage. Consider opting for public transport or walking when you can.
- Pay annually. By paying annually, you’ll usually end up with a cheaper deal since you won’t have to pay interest on monthly instalments.
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer you make your car, the cheaper your premium will be.
- Shop around. When it’s time for renewal, compare your options. You’ll be surprised at how much you could save by shopping around.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Peugeot 108 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 108 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Lexus IS200 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Lexus IS200 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Lexus CT200 insurance group
Find out how much it could cost to insure the Lexus CT200 based on your age and location.
MG ZR insurance group
Find out which insurance group the MG ZR falls under and how much it costs to insure.
MG3 insurance group
Find out how much it could cost to insure the MG3 based on your age and location.
Daewoo Matiz insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Daewoo Matiz falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot 3008 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 3008 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Land Rover Freelander insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Land Rover Freelander falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Renault Twingo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Renault Twingo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volvo S40 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volvo S40 falls under and how much it costs to insure.