find out if MRL can provide you with the right level of cover for your next trip.
When your going away from the warm embrace of your local health care providers, you want to be sure you won’t be caught out if you fall ill or get injured. As well as providing competitive medical cover, especially for those with pre-existing medical conditions, MRL have an extensive range of extras for gadgets, equipment and drivers.
Check out our review of MRL travel insurance below to find out if they offer what you’re looking for.
MRL Travel Insurance
- 24 hour emergency helpline
- Holiday cancellation cover included as standard
- Choose from a single trip, annual multi-trip, Winter sports, senior or pre existing medical condition policy
- 14-day insurance refund guarantee
Who are MRL insurance?
MRL are a no-nonsense travel insurance provider based in Crawley, England. Through a partnership with goodtogoinsurance.com, they pride themselves in being able to insure pre-existing medical conditions with competitive rates, whilst also providing solid basic cover for travellers and sportspeople.
What are my cover options?
MRL travel insurance prides itself on providing good coverage at reasonable prices, and includes as standard:
- 24-hour medical emergency help-line
- Emergency assistance up to £10,000,000
- Cancellation, curtailment and trip interruption up to £5,000
- Baggage cover up to £2,000
- A 14 day cancellation period
You can improve this by adding extras like gadget and additional vehicle cover, and can be adjusted depending on the variety of insurance you need for your trip. Click on the options below to see what adjustments MRL make for different sorts of trips and travellers.
- The upper age limit is 84
- Add pre-existing medical conditions, often with no extra cost
- Extras like travel disruption and gadget cover available
- Option to cover either Europe or worldwide
- Covers multiple trips of up to 32 days each (but this can be increased for a further premium)
- For people under 74
- Maximum of 120 days abroad on economy cover, or 150 with standard or premier cover
- Most pre-existing medical conditions covered at no extra cost
If your single trip includes a trip to the slopes, you’ll want to get cover for all your gear. With an added extra you can upgrade your single trip cover to include:
- Up to £1,000 cover for your own or hired ski equipment
- Up to £500 for your ski pass
- Up to £300 if your ski equipment is delayed
- This is only available to under 64s who are residents of the UK
They have also partnered with goodtogoinsurance.com, who provide cover for over 84s.
If you have a pre-existing condition, you can most likely get the same cover at the same cost from MRL if you call their medical conditions screening line at 0343 658 0300. A pre-existing medical condition is defined by MRL as
“Any past or current Medical Condition where you have been prescribed medication, including repeat prescriptions, or received treatment or attended a GP or a specialist as an outpatient or an inpatient in the last 2 years or for which you are currently on a waiting list for treatment or investigation. Any terminal illness or any heart, heart-related or circulatory condition; or any respiratory condition; any stress, anxiety, depression or any other psychological condition; any cancerous condition; or any cerebral condition.”
What is my excess?
An excess is the amount of money your insurance provider will ask you to pay out in the event of a claim before they’re willing to cover your costs. So, if for example your laptop worth £1,000 gets broken, MRL may ask you to contribute £50 towards your claim before they pay out (if you have purchased their optional gadget extra, that is).
The amount of your excess you have to pay will depend on which policy level you have and the nature of your claim. Make sure to check your policy schedule where your excess details will be shown in detail.
What is the claims process for MRL?
MRL claims have to go through their claims hotline on 0343 658 0345 from Monday – Friday between 9am – 5pm.
Or, you can request a claims form from Global Response (their claims handling provider) but they won’t issue you one unless you can verify your identity.
Your claim and supporting documentation will then be reviewed and the payout amount will be paid to you via BACS transfer.
MRL pros and cons
- Cover most pre-existing medical conditions at no extra cost.
- Loads of optional extras and customisable coverage.
- Low excess for their standard and premier customers.
- Some coverage without excess even for economy customers.
- Only three levels of cover, economy, standard and premier.
- The economy ski trip extra has a high excesses and low maximum coverage.