How to send money to the UK
Get the best rate for your secure overseas transfer.
While your local bank may be the most obvious way to send money to the UK, you can save on fees and get a more competitive exchange rate with a money transfer company — but make sure it offers a speed and transfer type you’re happy with.
XE Money Transfer
XE specialises in a wide range of foreign currency solutions and offers an affordable solution when you need to send money overseas.
- Send money to 60+ countries.
- Competitive exchange rates that are often better than banks.
- Transfer up to US$500,000 online.
- See exchange rates in real-time.
Emergency transfers to the UK
It’s possible to complete an emergency cash transfer that gives your recipient access to funds quickly, but this is usually the most expensive option. You will face higher fees and a worse exchange rate, so if your friend or family member can wait a day or two for a regular transfer to be completed, you’ll save money in the long run.Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in the UK
Whether picking up funds in London or anywhere else around the UK, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself from becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
Overseas money transfers are easy, no matter which method you choose. But knowing how to compare your options gives you a leg up in terms of cost, rates and transfer speeds. An informed choice will always be a better choice.
Common questions about transfers to the UK
Cash pickup locations in United Kingdom
Ask an Expert