What to do after a car accident that wasn’t your fault

Find out how you can avoid paying for damage to your own car if you were involved in an accident that you did not cause.

The issue of liability – in other words, who caused the accident – is probably the single most loaded topic in car insurance. This is because accidents result in expenses that must be paid, sometimes running into thousands of pounds, and whoever is responsible normally needs to pick up the bill.

If you’re involved in a motor vehicle accident through no fault of your own and your car is damaged or written off, you have several options of receiving a payout from a car insurance claim.

When would I not be at fault for a car accident?

In the field of car insurance, liability is considered exclusively in relation to motor vehicle accidents. There are plenty of other situations in which your car can be damaged through no fault of your own, ranging from vandalism to severe weather. Damage of this kind is usually covered by fully comprehensive car insurance, but you may still have to pay an applicable deductible.

When two or more cars are involved, the percentage of liability is often shared between the parties, known as a split liability settlement. However, there are some situations in which only one driver is likely to be considered completely at fault.

  • Admitting liability at the scene. In the aftermath of any accident, if Driver A says something like, “I didn’t see you” or even apologises to Driver B in the presence of witnesses, courts frequently consider this to be an admission of liability and Driver A will automatically be found at fault.
  • Intoxication. Fault will typically be assigned to a driver who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, if the other driver is not intoxicated in any way.
  • Getting rear-ended by another driver. If someone runs into the back of your car, they will almost always be considered at fault.
  • Failing to obey a stop sign. If it can be proven that the other driver failed to give right of way to you and you were driving legally, they will usually be found at fault, unless there was any action you could have taken to prevent the accident, such as swerving or applying the brakes.
  • Jumping a red light. If another driver collides with you as a result of failing to obey a traffic signal, they will be found at fault in most cases. Again, if you had any option of trying to prevent the accident, but failed to do so, you may be liable for contributing to the accident due to negligence.

To claim or not to claim?

When thinking about whether or not to claim for an accident in which you’re not at fault, the most relevant factor is whether you can get the other party to pay for the damage.

If the liability for the accident can be swiftly and unequivocally determined – and that’s a big “if” – then the best course of action is usually to approach the other driver.

In some cases, for example if the other party is uninsured and cannot pay you for the damage done to your vehicle, it might make sense to claim on your own insurance if you can’t pay out of pocket.

If the damage to your car is very minor and you do not have a reasonable option of getting the other driver to pay for it, it’s usually not worth making a claim. Also, if a deductible applies to your policy and the cost of repairing the damage is not much more than your excess level, it might not be worth the trouble of pursuing a claim when you’re unlikely to receive much reimbursement.

Does my level of insurance affect what I can claim?

In a word, no. Fully comprehensive insurance usually covers you for all types of damage to your vehicle and medical treatment for injuries, regardless of whether or not you’re at fault. If the accident was the other driver’s fault, you would normally be entitled to claim under their third party insurance policy.

However, if the other driver isn’t insured, there’s still a way to make a claim through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau, set up to compensate victims of accidents caused by drivers who either aren’t insured or can’t be found.

Be aware that it’s a criminal offence to drive in the UK without having at least third party insurance.

What do I need in order to make a claim?

  • Record the other driver’s details. Your insurer will need their name, address and phone number, as well as the registration number of the car they were driving.
  • Make notes at the scene. Write a brief summary of what took place as soon as possible after the accident. Accounts that are recorded immediately after an incident are called “contemporaneous evidence” and they hold a lot of weight in court.
  • Ask witnesses for their contact details. If possible, ask any witnesses present to also jot down their description of what happened at the time of the accident.
  • Take photos of the scene. Pay particular attention to not only the damage your vehicle sustained, but the final resting positions of all the cars involved, any skid marks and damage to surrounding objects such as traffic lights. Add GPS tags to your photos if you have the option.
  • Submit any footage of the event. If you have a dash cam recording of the accident, this will also be very valuable for your insurer.

Will a claim affect my premium or no-claims bonus?

In most cases, if your insurer agrees that the accident was caused exclusively by the other driver, you will not be penalised even if you make a claim. However, you can end up paying a higher premium if your insurer pays out when it wasn’t your fault (for example, an unknown car scrapes yours in a car park and drives off).

Depending on your level of cover and the specific conditions listed on your certificate of insurance, there may be some circumstances under which your no-claims bonus (the total number of years in which you haven’t made a claim on your insurance) will be affected, even if you have purchased protection against this.

Read your policy carefully to avoid any nasty surprises.

Do I go through my insurer or the insurer of the at-fault driver?

If you have fully comprehensive insurance yourself, the only situations when you can approach the other party’s insurer directly is if the other driver has died or cannot be located. Under virtually all other circumstances, your initial point of contact needs to be the driver who is at fault.

You have the option of instructing a solicitor to act on your behalf, and if the other driver decides to claim on their insurance, the insurance company will most likely contact you to request information and possibly access to your car so that its representatives can make an independent assessment of the damage.

Will my car be repaired or written off?

It is up to your insurer to choose whether your car will be repaired or declared a total loss, and that normally comes down to whatever is the cheaper option for them. If there is any question about whether or not your car can be repaired well enough to be safe to drive afterwards, you have the right to obtain an independent assessment.

If you can provide evidence that your insurer is pressuring you to repair a vehicle that would be more safely written off, you have the option of opening a case with the Financial Ombudsman Service.

What happens if my car is written off?

This depends on how insurance assessors rank the severity of the damage to your car. The updated write-off categories also highlight structural issues that affect its safety:

Category A – The vehicle is unable to be repaired and has to be scrapped.

Category B – The vehicle is unable to be repaired and the body shell has to be scrapped but parts of it can be salvaged.

Category N – The vehicle has non-structural damage and is not safe to drive until professionally repaired. Other costs such as transporting the vehicle means costs would be greater than the vehicle’s value.

Category S – The vehicle has structural damage and is not safe to drive until professionally repaired. But the cost of the repairs is higher than the current value of the vehicle.

If your car falls into Category A or B, it will usually be dealt with by the insurance company and scrapped, although some serviceable parts might be salvaged if in Category B.

If your car is a repairable write-off and placed in Category N or S, that is, it has only been written off because the cost of salvage and repair will exceed its market value, you can apply to have it re-registered.

The insurance company can give you an insurance payout and sell it back to you or an interested third party.

You can make a request for your insurer to let you keep a repairable write-off, for example if it has sentimental value, and pay you the sum insured less any salvage value. Not all repairable write-offs can be legally re-registered, so this is an important point to check before applying to keep a badly damaged vehicle.

How to make a claim

If you do plan to make a claim with your own insurer, requesting a claim form is usually the safest option because you can carefully prepare your answers to all the questions. If your insurer offers the option of processing your claim over the phone, you run the risk of being put on the spot and not answering a question as well as you could have if you’d had the chance to think about it.

  • Take your time. Don’t start the claim process while you are still in shock or emotionally upset after the accident.
  • Prepare yourself for a phone claim. If you decide to place your claim over the phone, think carefully about what you are going to say and keep your descriptions simple, neutral and objective. Make some notes beforehand to help you remember everything you want to convey. Remember that the conversation will normally be recorded by your insurer and may be referred to later in the process.
  • Refer to your notes. Use the summary you wrote down at the time of the accident to help you answer the questions on the claim form or over the phone. If you didn’t make any notes, it’s worth jotting some down now to help you remember important but small details.

Frequently asked questions

Picture: Shutterstock

The offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of products we can track; we don't cover every product on the market...yet. Unless we've indicated otherwise, products are shown in no particular order or ranking. The terms "best", "top", "cheap" (and variations), aren't product ratings, although we always explain what's great about a product when we highlight it; this is subject to our terms of use. When making a big financial decision, it's wise to consider getting independent financial advice, and always consider your own financial circumstances when comparing products so you get what's right for you.
*Based on data provided by Consumer Intelligence Ltd, www.consumerintelligence.com (July ’22). 51% of car insurance customers could save £388.64

More guides on Finder

  • Car insurance A-Z Glossary

    Get to grips with car insurance terms with our handy round-up of the main insurance jargon you’ll come across.

  • Car insurance admin charges

    We explain what car insurance admin charges exist, when you might need to pay them and how to keep them to a minimum.

  • Should drivers have to retake their driving test?

    Three-quarters (74%) of the UK want drivers to retake their driving test at least once in their lifetime, at an average age of 68 years old.

  • Low emission car insurance

    We explain how low emission cars could affect insurance and other costs, plus how to keep your insurance premium low.

  • Cat N insurance

    Read our guide to find out how to find insurance for your cat N write-off, average cost and whether or not you can keep your category N car.

  • Self-employed car insurance

    What you need to consider when taking out car insurance if you’re self-employed, and whether you can claim car insurance as a business expense.

  • Cat S insurance

    Learn how to find insurance for your Cat S write-off, average cost and whether you can keep your category S car.

  • Genesis G80 insurance group

    Find out how much it may cost you to insure a Gensis G80 and how to save on your car insurance premiums.

  • Genesis G70 insurance group

    Find out how much it may cost you to insure a Gensis G70 and how to save on your car insurance premiums.

  • Genesis GV70 insurance group

    Find out how much it may cost you to insure a Gensis GV70 and how to save on your car insurance premiums.

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder.com provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on finder.com are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.

8 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    BethanyApril 29, 2019


    I was in an accident today which was not my fault (he drove into my lane and hit me head on). I contacted my insurer and agreed not my fault but then brought up my excess. If it’s not my fault why do I have to pay for a new bonnet and bumper. The man has also phoned and texted admitting his fault. I haven’t been contacted by his insurer as of yet. Do I contact them?

    I’m also now suffering from major back pain. I’m off to the doctors tomorrow but who do I tell after that?

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JeniMay 1, 2019Staff

      Hi Bethany,

      Thank you for getting in touch with Finder.

      Sorry to hear about that accident you were involved in. Hope you feel better soon.

      Since the other party was able to contact you and admitted his fault, you may ask if he has advised his insurer on this matter so they can get in touch with you. If not you may ask the info of his insurer and you may contact them on this matter. You may let the other party know the cost of the damage to you and the vehicle. You may seek legal help from experts if you’re unhappy with the negotiation you had with the other party.

      I hope this helps.

      Thank you and have a wonderful day!


    Default Gravatar
    MichaelMarch 17, 2019

    If I’m not at fault for an accident and the other driver has admitted they were to blame and their insurance company has contacted me. Should I continue to claim through my own insurance company. Or should I stop the claim with my own insurance company and claim the third parties insurance?

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JeniMarch 24, 2019Staff

      Hi Michael,

      Thank you for getting in touch with Finder.

      Please note that when thinking about whether or not to claim for an accident in which you’re not at fault, the most relevant factor is whether you can get the other party to pay for the damage. Since the third party’s insurance has contacted you, you may not claim from your own insurance.

      I hope this helps.

      Thank you and have a wonderful day!


    Default Gravatar
    AngiMarch 1, 2019

    I was recently involved in a low impact crash whilst not in my car, I’m in the process of claiming off the other driver’s insurance as he and his insurers have admitted liability. They have chosen a garage to do the repairs but being as it’s on finance, I’d rather get my car fixed by a legitimate Peugeot garage. Is this a legal option for me?

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JoshuaMarch 5, 2019Staff

      Hi Angi,

      Thanks for getting in touch with Finder. I hope all is well with you. :)

      There’s a reason why some insurers would tell you where you should repair your car. This gives them more control over the cost. However, by law, you have the right to choose which repair shops you want to take care of your car.

      It would be best to seek legal advice as well. Sometimes, insurers would point out to their terms and conditions to protect their own interest. Thus, sitting with a person who is knowledgeable of the applicable law would give you a better understanding of your situation.

      I hope this helps. Should you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach us out again.

      Have a wonderful day!


    Default Gravatar
    RobertJanuary 13, 2019

    I was rear ended and because my car was over 10 years old was written off can I claim a reasonable amount from the company of the faulty driver for a replacement car as I am well out of pocket

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JoshuaJanuary 16, 2019Staff

      Hi Robert,

      Thanks for getting in touch with finder. I hope all is well with you. :)

      If you are not at fault, you can make a claim against the insurer of the driver who is at fault. However, it depends upon the other driver’s insurer how much they will give you or whether you are eligible for compensation or not. Every insurer has their own procedure in determining your eligibility for payout.

      Best is for you to discuss this with the driver at fault and seek his assistance to help you get compensated by his insurer.

      I hope this helps. Should you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach us out again.

      Have a wonderful day!


Go to site