Find the right card for you
Approval for any credit card will depend on your status. The APR shown represents the interest rate offered to most successful applicants. Depending on your personal circumstances the APR you're offered may be higher, or you may not be offered credit at all. Fees and rates are subject to change without notice. It's always wise to check the terms of any deal before you borrow.
What's in this guide?
- Compare Barclaycards
- Will Barclaycard check my credit record?
- Can I find out if I'll get approved without affecting my credit score?
- How long does it take to get a Barclaycard?
- Types of Barclaycards
- What benefits can I get with a Barclaycard?
- How can I apply for a Barclaycard?
- The bottom line
- Help and support for Barclaycard customers affected by coronavirus
- Frequently asked questions about Barclaycards
Offering the UK’s first credit card, Barclaycard has a long history of providing market-leading deals including some of the longest balance transfer periods going. Issued on the Visa network, Barclaycards are backed by one of the oldest banks in the UK – Barclays plc.
Will Barclaycard check my credit record?
Yes, in order to lend responsibly, Barclaycard will run a full “hard search” of your credit file when you apply. This usually has a very slight negative impact on your credit score, so the general rule of thumb is: don’t submit lots of applications for credit in a short space of time.
If your credit rating isn’t excellent, Barclaycard does have a credit builder in its range.
Can I find out if I’ll get approved without affecting my credit score?
Yes. Like most card issuers, Barclaycard offers a “soft search” facility, meaning it can check your credit file to let you know whether or not it’s worth applying, without any impact on your credit score.
How long does it take to get a Barclaycard?
Online applications get a decision almost instantly (although there are rare situations when Barclaycard will need a bit more information and/or time in order to reach a decision. Once you’ve had a formal offer and accepted it, your Barclaycard will then arrive in the post within approximately 7-14 days (at which point you’ll need to get on the phone to activate it).
Types of Barclaycards
With Barclaycard you will find a credit card product for almost every individual situation, each worth a close look to find the card that suits your needs best. You can build your credit record, save money by transferring a balance from a different card provider, or collect hotel loyalty points as you spend.
- 0% balance transfer cards. Barclaycard offers leading 0% balance transfer periods of several years and competitive balance transfer fees, even for average credit scorers. Alternatively, pick a card with a shorter 0% offer and no balance transfer fee, or a card which offers a mix of a long 0% period – and a lower balance transfer fee. Barclaycard offers a handy balance transfer calculator to help you choose the right card.
- 0% purchase cards. If you have a big purchase coming up that you want to repay over a period of time, Barclaycard’s 0% offers on purchases are an excellent choice. Spread your repayments over several months without paying any interest with a 0% purchase card.
- All-round cards. Do you need to save money on existing interest charges and also need to make a large purchase? Barclaycard has the card product for you: pay 0% on both balance transfers and purchases through the Platinum card that offers an interest-free period on purchases and balance transfers. Though you should make your balance transfers straight away, the 0% offer on purchases is valid for any purchases made during the offer period.
- Rewards cards. Collect rewards as you spend using one of Barclaycard’s rewards credit cards. The Freedom Rewards card clocks up Freedom Rewards points for each pound you spend, and you can redeem your Freedom Rewards points for a range of products and services.
Learn more about rewards cards
- Overseas spending cards. Frequent travellers should always look at a credit card that charges no commission on foreign currency conversion, both at ATM withdrawals and point of sale transactions. Most credit card providers charge close to 3% on top of spot currency rates when you spend abroad so these cards can lead to significant savings.
Using a Barclaycard abroad
- Credit builder cards. If you have no credit history, or are in the process of building your credit score, the Initial credit card from Barclaycard may be for you. This card is easier to get approved than other Barclaycard products, and the reasonable interest rate and credit limit will help you prove your credit-worthiness so that you can qualify for better deals later.
What benefits can I get with a Barclaycard?
- Rewards. Barclaycard offers rewards cards that offer an excellent way to treat yourself by means of your everyday credit card spending. You’ll earn points each time you use your rewards card, and these can be redeemed for a selection of top choices at the Freedom Rewards Store.
- Complimentary extras. Your Barclaycard comes packed with extras, including an Uber customer offer and entertainment offers such as the ever-popular British Summer Time in Hyde Park.
- Mobile payments. Pay conveniently using your mobile phone linked to your Barclaycard. Barclaycard supports both Apple Pay and Android Contactless Mobile for payments, so you can simply tap and pay without retrieving your credit card from your wallet.
- Security. As a leading provider of credit cards, Barclaycard offers excellent security measures to protect its customers. You won’t be expected to pay for fraudulent transactions and you’ll be alerted by means of a phone call within 60 seconds of any activity that appears fraudulent.
Barclaycard has offered me good deals with companies like Expedia, for example. I find the card very easy to use and pay off monthly.”
How can I apply for a Barclaycard?
- Decide which card is most appropriate for your personal priorities: do you need to save on existing interest charges, or would you like to collect rewards points on your day to day spending?
- Consider your current credit score before you apply, and make sure you meet the eligibility criteria. You can test your eligibility with the Barclaycard eligibility checker, which won’t impact your credit record.
- Once you’ve read the detailed specifications for the card you want to apply for, click on Apply Now to proceed to the application stage.
- Enter your details, making sure you accurately complete each section. Small details such as your exact dates at your current and previous address is important too.
- You may receive a confirmation of approval or rejection straight away, or Barclaycard may refer your application for manual checking which can take a couple of working days.
What supporting documents and information will I need?
Before you start the application process, make sure you have available your past addresses covering the previous three years, including the dates on which you moved home, if any. Barclaycard will also require information on your current income and the details of your employer.
The bottom line
A Barclaycard can help you manage your finances and pay for large purchases over a period of time, without forking out a large sum in interest charges. If you pay off your balance at the end of every month, a rewards card from Barclaycard can deliver perks on day to day spending.
Help and support for Barclaycard customers affected by coronavirus
If you’re already a Barclaycard customer and have been affected by coronavirus, Barclaycard may be able to offer you some support. For example, you might be experiencing difficulty with repayments due to coronavirus, or perhaps you’re seeking help to recover a payment made using your Barclaycard for a cancelled product or service. Visit Barclaycard’s coronavirus support page to learn more.
Frequently asked questions about Barclaycards
Find the right card for you
Read more on this topic
How to cancel a Barclaycard credit card
Looking to cancel your Barclaycard? Find out what you need to do first and compare other options.
Using Barclaycard abroad
Thinking of using a Barclaycard overseas or for non-sterling purchases? Learn what fees apply plus our hacks for avoiding them.
Compare Barclaycard balance transfer offers for October 2020
All the 0% balance transfer deals currently available from Barclaycard.
Barclaycard Forward Credit Card review 2020
Kick-start a positive credit record and enjoy Barclaycard features and perks with the Forward Credit Card.
Barclaycard Freedom Rewards points
Find out how the Barclaycard Freedom Rewards scheme works, how to collect points and how to redeem them.
Barclaycard Platinum No Fee Balance Transfer Visa review
Transfer your existing card debt to this Barclaycard with no balance transfer fee and enjoy 0% interest.
Barclaycard Rewards Visa review 2020
No longer available with fee-free spending overseas, this card earns cashback on your day-to-day spending.
Barclaycard Platinum All-Rounder review
Enjoy lengthy matched 0% introductory periods on both forthcoming expenditure and existing card debt with this versatile Barclaycard.
Barclaycard Platinum 18 Month 0% Purchase and Balance Transfer Visa review 2020
Barclaycard’s 0% interest deal for purchases and balance transfers compared against competing cards.
Barclaycard Platinum Low Rate Visa Review
Enjoy a low ongoing rate on everyday spending and balance transfers with the Barclaycard Platinum Low Rate Visa.
Ask an Expert