Despite being a relative newcomer to the credit card market, Post Office Money provides a small but carefully-designed range of cards that cater to a variety of circumstances.
With Post Office Money you can choose a credit card that suits your needs – whether you’re looking to transfer a balance, spend money overseas or spread the cost of larger purchases.
Post Office Money credit cards are part of the Mastercard network, so they’re accepted in more than 35 million locations worldwide. The cards are provided by Bank of Ireland UK.
What types of credit cards are available from Post Office Money?
Post Office Money takes an uncomplicated approach to the credit card market, offering three clearly contrasting credit card types for its customers. What’s more you can check your eligibility for each without affecting your credit score, by using “Fast Checker”.
Designed as an all-rounder, this card boasts a rate of 0% on purchases and balance transfers for 8 months. This card could be a smart choice if you have a balance that you’d like to transfer in order to save interest, but you’re also expecting to need to make purchases on the card.
Learn more about low rate credit cards
Thinking of heading abroad? This card boasts no fees when you spend overseas. Added to that you’ll enjoy 0% on purchases (wherever you are) for 8 months. Like all Post Office Money credit cards, you can buy Post Office travel money with no fee.
Learn more about platinum credit cards
Balance Transfer Card
This is the card with the longest balance transfer period that Post Office Money offer. You’ll enjoy a rate of 0% on balance transfers for the first 25 months, and a competitive transfer fee.
Learn more about balance transfer credit cards
All cards allow you to buy Post Office travel money with no fee.
What is APR?If you’re comparing any credit products, it won’t be long before you’ll come across the Annual Percentage Rate (APR). This figure is designed to provide an annual summary, taking into account both interest and any mandatory charges to be paid (for example an annual fee). All lenders must calculate the APR of their products in the same way, and must tell you the APR before you sign an agreement, so for consumers it can be a handy tool for comparison.
Bear in mind, however, that lenders are only obliged to award this rate to 51% of their customers – the other 49% could pay more. That’s why it’s often referred to as the representative APR.
The benefits of banking with Post Office Money
Post Office Money offer many benefits for credit card customers. Here are some of the highlights:
Security and fraud protection
All Post Office Money credit cards use MasterCard® SecureCode™ which gives you an extra layer of protection for online transactions. MasterCard® SecureCode™ allows you to add a personal security password to your existing Post Office Money credit card which you then use to validate each online transaction. This helps to protect you from unauthorised use when shopping online.
Due to the Post Office Money cards being provided through Mastercard they are accepted in a huge number of locations worldwide. Additionally, with a Platinum Card you can shop abroad at no extra fee.
Have your finances available to you at all times through the Credit Card Mobile Servicing App. From here you can check your balance, make a payment or set up a direct debit. As long as you have a device that can access either the Apple App Store or the Google Store then you can download the app and access your finances on the go.
How to apply for a Post Office Money credit card
The quickest way to apply for a Post Office Money card is online. You simply fill out the online form providing personal information such as name, address, income and work status.
There are basic eligibility requirements you will most likely need to meet to be accepted for a Post Office Money credit card. The eligibility requirements are as follows:
Post Office Money have a range of cards with a number of different requirements, so you will need to check your eligibility against each card when you apply (as they may differ). When you do apply, use the “Fast Checker” to see if you are eligible without affecting your credit score in only a couple of minutes.
Why might you not be approved?
Typically you won’t be approved for a credit card if you’ve got a history of bad debt or don’t meet the above eligibility criteria. If you’ve got an outstanding CCJ or are on an individual voluntary arrangement (IVA) it is also likely you will not be approved. Equally, if you do not have a credit record at all, you may be turned down. It is advisable to go to Experian, or another credit rating agency, and to ask for a credit report.
Frequently Asked Questions