See if you qualify for a credit card from top providers
- Including Barclaycard and Amex
- Check a range of cards in minutes
- No impact on your credit score
- One fast and simple form
Compare the Halifax range of credit cards
Approval for any credit card depends on your status. The representative APRs shown represent the interest rate offered to most successful applicants. Depending on your personal circumstances, the APR you're offered may be higher, or you may not be offered credit at all. Fees and rates are subject to change without notice. It's always wise to check the terms of any deal before you borrow.
What is Halifax?
Having started life as a building society in the Yorkshire town of the same name, Halifax merged with the Bank of Scotland to form HBOS and later became part of one of the UK’s biggest banking groups – Lloyds.
Halifax offers existing and new customers competitive deals on credit cards for a variety of purposes. Take advantage of a long 0% period on a balance transfer or large purchase, or save on your overseas spend by avoiding foreign exchange fees.
Types of Halifax credit cards
With the excellent deals available from Halifax there is no need to pay a high interest rate on your credit card balance. Halifax offers market-leading 0% interest promotions for card spend, and for transferring a balance from a different credit card company. A generous mix of card offers includes low rates for balance transfers and a card that offers a low rate for the lifetime of the card.
- 0% balance transfer cards. In exchange for a reasonable balance transfer fee, you can have many years of 0% interest on a balance you transfer from another credit card company. At the time of writing, Halifax even offers a partial refund on balance transfer fees. Alternatively, choose a slightly shorter 0% promotional period for your balance transfer and pay less than 1% as a balance transfer fee. Learn more about 0% balance transfer cards
- 0% purchase cards. Finance a large purchase on a new Halifax credit card and save on interest. You can pay 0% in interest on purchases for years if you successfully apply for the Halifax purchase offer card, which even includes a short 0% balance transfer period. Learn more about 0% purchase cards
- Combination offer cards. You can save interest charges on both purchases and balance transfers by sacrificing a little on the length of the promotional period for each. Pick the Halifax Purchase and Balance Transfer card for a generous promotional period of 0% interest on both purchases and balance transfers.
- Low-rate cards. Avoid a hike in interest after your 0% promotional period by picking the card that offers a permanently low interest rate. At approximately a third of the standard Halifax credit card interest rate, the FlexiCard Credit Card is an excellent choice if you want to keep your interest charges low in the long run. Your rate will fluctuate with the Bank of England base rate, but will always be substantially lower than standard credit card rates. You can even arrange a 2 to 36 month repayment plan on qualifying balances.
- Overseas spending cards. Most banks will charge you approximately 3% of the transaction value in foreign transaction fees when you spend abroad. You don’t need to pay this charge when you travel if you pay with a Halifax Clarity Credit Card. It is one of the few UK credit cards that simply bill you at the day’s Visa or Mastercard currency interchange rate without any added commissions or costs.
What benefits can I get with a Halifax card?
Halifax has a very competitive credit card with good limits and a brilliant app to help you with checking your spending.”
- Cut your credit card interest bill. A mix of generous credit limits, excellent balance transfer offers and relatively soft credit scoring criteria means that Halifax credit cards have helped thousands of UK customers cut the amount of money they spend on credit card interest.
- Make faster payments to your card. Trim your credit card balance almost instantly by taking advantage of the Faster Payments Service. Any money you pay back on your Halifax credit card will be credited within a few hours, in most cases, almost immediately reducing your balance – and saving on interest charges.
- Protection courtesy of Halifax Secure. In partnership with Visa and Mastercard, Halifax offers a security service that protects you when shopping online. Halifax Secure assesses every transaction and either verifies your transaction automatically or requests further information to pass verification.
- Pay with your mobile phone. Most Halifax credit cards are compatible with Android Pay and Apple Pay. You don’t need to take your credit card out of your wallet, simply tap your phone on the card reader to make a payment.
- Halifax cards are widely accepted. Halifax cards are issued on the Visa and Mastercard networks, both of which are widely accepted in the UK and around the world. You can be confident that your Halifax card will be accepted no matter where you try to pay.
- No card fees. Enjoy the benefits of balance transfer deals, market-leading interest rates and the backing of an established financial institution without paying an annual fee. All Halifax cards are free of any annual fees, in fact some offer an initial cash-back amount for new applicants.
- Halifax app. The Halifax app brings your Halifax accounts together under one roof, so you can quickly and easily move money around and stay on top of your finances. It also has fingerprint-recognition technology (provided your phone can do this), so you can log-in without needing a password.
How can I apply for a Halifax credit card?
- Look at the range of different Halifax credit card products and pick the card that suits your needs the best.
- Halifax offers a free eligibility checker. Before you apply, test your eligibility with this tool as it won’t impact your credit score the way a completed application does. The Halifax eligibility checker will tell if you have a good chance of successfully applying for a Halifax credit card.
- Once you’ve picked a card, follow the simple steps on the Halifax website.
- Always complete the application form accurately as Halifax will match what you enter against national credit search databases. Any discrepancies can result in a delay in getting approved, or the potential rejection of your application.
- Halifax will consider your credit record, current levels of borrowing and other criteria and decide whether to offer you a card. You may get the deal you applied for or a higher interest rate or shorter 0% period. Most applicants get an instant decision, but sometimes an application is forwarded for manual review which can take a few working days.
What supporting documents and information will I need?
Before you start your application, get ready personal details such as current and past addresses, employment and income information as well as details of any store cards or other credit cards you would like to pay off by means of a balance transfer. You will also need your current account number and sort code.
Halifax customer reviews
In our 2023 customer satisfaction survey, Halifax scored 4.5 out of 5 stars, with 87% of customers saying they’d recommend the brand to a friend.
Customers praised Halifax’s easy to use and “helpful” service. Many customers also commented positively on Halifax’s customer service. One commented that Halifax’s “online banking is easy”, and Halifax usually provides “great customer service in store” as well as providing “good rates on loans, overdrafts and credit cards”.
The bottom line
Whether you need a credit card for day to day spending, a big purchase or to transfer a balance Halifax has a first-rate offer for you. The quick and easy application process and straight forward eligibility criteria make Halifax an excellent choice if you’re looking for a new credit card.
Overview of Halifax credit cards
|Representative APR||From 10.9% to 55%|
|0% balance transfer offer||Up to 23 months|
|0% purchases offer||Up to 17 months|
|0% money transfer offer||No money transfer offer available|
|Cashback with brand||Up to 1%|
|Cashback elsewhere||Up to 1%|
|Cash advance||From 10.94%|
|Introductory bonus offer||Up to 20|
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Halifax Cashback Credit Card review 2023
With no annual fee, the Halifax Cashback Credit Card could be a good option for those looking to earn something back on their spending.
Halifax Credit Card review 2023
With a noticeably low rate on purchases, balance transfers and cash advances, this Halifax card could be an option for those looking to keep their interest costs down.
Compare Halifax balance transfer offers
Check out all the 0% balance transfer deals currently available from Halifax.
Halifax Clarity Card review 2023
Looking for the right card to take abroad? Here’s everything you need to know about the Clarity card.
Halifax 0% Purchase and Balance Transfer Credit Card review 2023
A card that offers more than just a break from interest on existing credit card debt.
Halifax Low Fee 0% Balance Transfer Credit Card review 2023
A balance transfer card with a very specific set of skills. Compare this deal against others from Halifax and competing card issuers.