Leave a review
Read Terms and Conditions here
See if you qualify for a credit card from top providers
- Including Barclaycard and Amex
- Check a range of cards in minutes
- No impact on your credit score
- One fast and simple form
Compare Capital One credit cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Approval for any credit card depends on your status. The representative APRs shown represent the interest rate offered to most successful applicants. Depending on your personal circumstances, the APR you're offered may be higher, or you may not be offered credit at all. Fees and rates are subject to change without notice. It's always wise to check the terms of any deal before you borrow.
What is Capital One?
Capital One is one of the UK’s top ten largest card providers starting back in 1996 and has based its ethos around a fair and holistic approach to providing credit. It helps do this with tools like its QuickCheck eligibility checker; to quickly and easily check your eligibility for a card for free, without damaging your credit score.
Furthermore, it bases its approach around simplicity, clarity and customer support. Capital One offers a streamlined and understandable application process along with transparent card charges and rates, and full support in managing your account.
Types of credit cards from Capital One
Capital likes to stress that its customers choose the right card for their individual needs as this is one of the most important stages in proper credit management.
Credit building cards
Capital One is one of a number of UK card issuers offering cards for people looking to improve their credit health. Even with a poor credit rating you’re eligible to apply for one of these cards, and provided you consistently make the monthly payments on time and stay below the monthly limit, it could help you build up your credit score to a healthy level. These are potentially suitable for a range of borrowers, from those with very limited credit histories to those with bad credit history who are finding it difficult to obtain credit. While these cards might also come with a small credit limit, this can increase over time with evidence that you are able to use it responsibly.
Balance transfer cards
These cards offered by Capital One are designed to transfer balances from other credit cards or existing debts to a lower interest rate. Sometimes these cards can offer interest rates as low as 0%. Capital One suggest that these cards could be a suitable option for those wanting to save money on expensive interest payments, and to simplify debt payments.
Capital One typically charges a one-off fee to make a balance transfer and the low rate could be removed if payments are missed.
The benefits of banking with Capital One
Capital One offer many benefits for credit card customers and these are just some of them.
- Eligibility checking. Capital One strives to help customers choose the right card for them and ensures customers know what they are signing up for. They therefore have QuickCheck, a rapid response service that checks if you are eligible to apply for a credit card in as little as 60 seconds. It will not affect your credit score and they say it provides 100% certainty before you actually apply for a card.
- Credit score checking. Capital One has a tool called CreditWise which is able to provide your Equifax credit score for free. This works in minutes and won’t affect your existing credit score.
- Customer service. Capital One looks to set itself apart in its customer service, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They encourage customers to call in whenever they have an issue, need an assistance with their existing account, or have any queries before applying for a card.
- Mobile management. Capital One offers a range of services via mobile banking that could make managing a credit card account more simple and secure. This includes fingerprint technology or a 6-digit passcode for secure log-in. There is also up-to-date account management so you can always see how much you’re spending, your latest transactions as well as how much credit you have left.
- Extra cardholder and balance transfer. With Capital One you are often able to get up to three extra credit cards for family members which might help manage household finances.
- Enhanced Security. When you take out a Capital One credit card, you get a range of support features to help boost security. This includes anti-fraud protection and monitoring, day to day online security and ID theft prevention support advice.
How to apply for a Capital One credit card
Capital One has tried to make the application process transparent and clear. First you need to check your eligibility by filling out a simple online form that requires your personal information relating to identity, employment, income status and your address.
While every application will be decided on an individual basis, the following basic requirements are needed to give you a good chance of applying for a credit card with Capital One.
Capital One advises using the free QuickCheck service to check if you are likely to be accepted for a card. It takes 60 seconds and does not affect your credit score. It will also help by suggesting a card that you might be suitable for.
Why might you not be approved?
Unfortunately, Capital One may be unlikely to approve for a credit card if you have not had any credit in the UK before, or if you have declared bankruptcy in the last year.
Capital One customer reviews
In our 2023 customer satisfaction survey, Capital One scored 4.5 out of 5 stars, with 81% of customers saying they’d recommend the brand to a friend.
Customers praised Capital One’s overall service. Many customers also praised Capital One’s online services and app. One commented: “Fast customer service, lots of options to choose from and easy to use app”.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Does Capital One offer business credit cards?
Discover whether Capital One offers business credit cards in the UK with our helpful guide.
Credit cards like Capital One
Browse similar credit cards to those issued by Capital One, which cater to those with limited or damaged credit histories.
Capital One Balance Transfer Mastercard review 2023
Learn more about this credit card and its 0% balance transfer deal.
Capital One Luma Purchase Mastercard review 2023
All you need to know about this credit-building card with a 0% deal on purchases.
Capital One Classic Platinum Mastercard review
The Platinum card has the best rates of all Capital One’s credit building cards.
Capital One Classic Credit Card review 2023
Our review of Capital One’s popular credit-builder credit card.
Capital One Luma Mastercard review 2023
Find out how Capital One’s Luma credit card holds up against other credit builders.
Can you cancel a Capital One credit card without calling?
Most providers want you to call to cancel your credit card. Here’s how to prepare for your call and deflect possible offers to stay.