Car insurance group 36
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 36 and how much it might cost to insure them.
What's in this guide?
- What is insurance group 36?
- Car makes and models in insurance group 36
- Cars in insurance group 36 and the average cost by driver's age
- Why are cars in group 36 more expensive to insure?
- What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
- How can I save on my car insurance premium?
- Frequently asked questions
What is insurance group 36?
Every vehicle you see on the road has been assigned an insurance group. These are numbered from 1 (cheapest) to 50 (most expensive).
These groups help insurers work out the cost of your car insurance premium. The factors used to determine a vehicle’s insurance group include market value, vehicle performance, safety features, cost of repairs and security features.
Vehicles in group 36 are among the more expensive cars to insure. The cars that fall in this group usually have a higher market value and cost more to repair.
Car makes and models in insurance group 36
There are many popular cars in insurance group 36 that are likely to be more expensive to insure.
|Insurance group||Car make/model||Details|
|36||Alfa Romeo Giulia||This vehicle won the 2020 Performance Car Of The Year award from WhatCar?. Its safety features include pedestrian detection and automatic city braking technology.|
|36||BMW Alpina Saloon||This beautiful saloon is a beast when it comes to power, delivered by a 4.4-litre, twin-turbo V8 engine.|
|36||Hyundai Santa Fe SUV||This family SUV offers a wide range of easy-to-use technological features and received a full 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP.|
|36||Jaguar XF Saloon||The Jaguar XF Saloon’s turbocharged 4-cylinder engine puts agility and handling to a whole new standard.|
|36||Land Rover Discovery||This vehicle won Best Luxury SUV under £60,000 at the WhatCar? Awards. Its safety features include a smart driver tiredness detection system and adaptive cruise control.|
|36||Lexus RX SUV||This luxurious, tech-savvy SUV is powered by a 3.5-litre V6 engine. It received a 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP.|
|36||Subaru Impreza||This small family car offers a good range of safety equipment, including a forward-collision warning and automated emergency braking.|
|36||Vauxhall Insignia VXR||The Vauxhall Insignia VXR is a family car with the power of a rocketship, thanks to its 2.8-litre V6 engine. It also received a 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP.|
Cars in insurance group 36 and the average cost by driver’s age
Using the table below, you can work out how much it will cost to insure your chosen model of car, based on your age.
Why are cars in group 36 more expensive to insure?
Cars in insurance group 36 are usually:
- Expensive to buy
- Expensive to repair, with long repair times
- Powered by large engines
In some cases, they may also be lacking when it comes to safety features, although this is less likely with more expensive models.
What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
Along with your car’s insurance group, these three factors have the biggest impact on the cost of your insurance:
- Engine type and capacity. The bigger your engine, the more it will cost to replace or repair. That’s one reason why more powerful cars cost more to insure.
- Driver location. If a lot of car insurance claims are made in your home town, insurers will raise your premium to compensate for that extra risk. A 30-year-old in central London will pay £1,114 for insurance for a BMW 1 Series M135i (Nav) 5d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £924.
- Driver age. The youngest drivers are likely to pay more, because they are statistically most likely to make a claim. However, your premium will drop as you get older, especially if you begin to build a lengthy no-claim bonus. The average 20-year-old driver in London could pay £1,938 for the Ford Focus ST 2.0T ST-3 Estate 5d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £1,015.
However, there are a lot of other factors that can also impact the price of your premium. These include the following:
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
- Your car’s safety rating, security and anti-theft precautions
- The model and age of your car
- Your driving history
How can I save on my car insurance premium?
Choosing a car in a lower insurance group is a great way to reduce the price of your premium.
Below are some more ideas for reducing the cost of your car insurance.
- Drive safely. Making a claim or having driving convictions on your record will make your premium more expensive.
- Don’t use your car all of the time. If you reduce your annual mileage, you can often reduce your premium.
- Pay annually. By paying annually, you’ll avoid paying interest on monthly instalments.
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer you make your car, the cheaper your premium will be.
- Shop around. When it’s time for renewal, make sure you compare your options. Often, you’ll find a better deal from a competitor, as opposed to accepting your renewal quote.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Toyota GT86 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota GT86 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota Corolla insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Corolla falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Fox insurance group
Find out the average cost of insurance for a Volkswagen Fox and see how much you could pay based on age, location and model.
Hyundai Santa Fe insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Hyundai Santa Fe falls under and how much it might cost to insure.
Skoda Superb insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Skoda Superb falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Mercedes E-Class insurance group
Find out the average cost of insurance for the Mercedes E-Class based on the specific model version, the driver’s age and their location.
Audi S4 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Audi S4 falls under and the average cost of insurance.
Abarth 500 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Abarth 500 falls under and the average cost of insurance based on the driver’s age and location.
Ford Mustang insurance group
Find out the average cost of insurance for a Ford Mustang based on the specific model version, the driver’s age and their location.
Honda CR-Z insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Honda CR-Z falls under and how much it might cost to insure.
Ask an Expert