Car insurance group 27
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 27 and how much it might cost to insure them.
What is insurance group 27?
All vehicles are assigned an insurance group from 1 (cheapest) to 50 (most expensive), and this helps work out the cost of your car insurance premium.
Vehicles in group 27 are likely to cost slightly above average to insure. The cars that fall in this group usually score fine in factors used to determine the group ratings, such as car safety, security features and engine size.
In this guide, we’ll explore these features in greater detail. We’ll also take a look at the personal factors that determine your car insurance premium, including your age, location and driving history, among others.
Car makes and models in insurance group 27
Here are some of the more popular cars in insurance group 27. These are all likely to cost slightly above average to insure.
|Insurance group||Car make/model||Details|
|27||Audi A1 Sportback||Winner of Best Small Car at the Golden Steering Wheel Awards 2019, this upmarket small car won five stars in the Euro NCAP safety tests.|
|27||Chevrolet Capitva||A unique mix of a family car and a sports utility vehicle, the Captiva is very affordable and good value for its class.|
|27||Ford Edge||This is a large 5-seater SUV, which is affordable compared to others in its class. It has also earned a 5-star award from Euro NCAP.|
|27||Ford S-MAX||The Ford S-Max is a reliable MPV. It also scored five stars in the safety tests from Euro NCAP, and has plenty of safety features including knee airbags.|
|27||Hyundai i30 Hatchback||This family hatchback was rated five stars in the Euro NCAP safety tests and comes with automatic emergency braking, lane-keeping assistance and tyre-pressure monitoring.|
|27||Land Rover Discover Sport||This 7-seat SUV is keenly priced considering its premium image. Its safety features include lane-keeping assistance and automatic emergency braking.|
|27||SEAT Ibiza Cupra||This speedy 5-door hatchback is cheap to run when compared to rival vehicles on this class. It also received a 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP.|
|27||Suzuki Swift Hatchback||This affordable small car has won awards for its reliability. It’s also cheap to run with a 42-52mpg combined engine.|
Cars in insurance group 27 and the average cost by driver’s age
The table below will help you estimate the cost of your car insurance, based on your choice of vehicle and your age.
Why are cars in group 27 more expensive to insure?
Cars in insurance group 27 are usually more expensive to insure because they rank as slightly below average for the following factors:
- Security features
- Safety features
- Cost of sourcing parts
- Cost of making repairs
- Engine size
What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
Along with your car’s insurance group, these three factors have the biggest impact on the cost of your insurance:
- Engine type and capacity. The bigger your engine, the more it will cost to repair or replace, so your insurer will cover its back by raising your premium. A smaller engine is perceived as less of a risk to insurers and this is usually reflected with a lower premium.
- Driver location. Insurers consider the likelihood of your car being stolen or damaged based on your location, and will adjust your premium accordingly. As an example, a 30-year-old in central London will pay £1,022 for insurance for a Audi A3 1.8 TFSI Quattro Sport 3d S Tronic, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £894.
- Driver age. Insurers will calculate the likelihood of you making a claim based on your age. They use previous claims data to do this, and this is why younger drivers face higher premiums. The average 20-year-old driver in London could pay £1,778 for the Ford C-Max 2.0 TDCi Titanium X (05/15-) 5d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £932.
Among the other factors that affect your car insurance premium are:
- Your driving history, including your no-claim discount
- Your car’s safety rating, security and anti-theft precautions
- The age and model of your car
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
How to save on your car insurance premiums
Choosing a car with a low insurance group is a great way to reduce the price of your premium.
We’ve listed some more ideas to keep costs down below:
- Drive safely. Having driving convictions on your record will make your premium skyrocket.
- Use your car less. Insurers will ask you to estimate your annual mileage before offering you a quote. The lower your mileage, the less of a risk you are perceived to be, so consider if it’s possible to use your car less. Don’t underestimate your annual mileage though, as driving more than this could invalidate your insurance.
- Pay annually. If you pay annually, there’s no chance of you being charged interest on monthly instalments.
- Install extra safety precautions. By investing in extra safety features, your vehicle will be more secure and less of a risk to insure. Insurers will often drop your premium to reflect this lower risk.
- Shop around. When it’s time for renewal, make sure to shop around using price comparison websites. It’ll nearly always save you money if you switch insurers, compared to renewing your policy with the same company.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Car insurance group 47
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 47 and the average cost of insurance.
Car insurance group 48
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 48 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 50
Find out which cars are listed in insurance group 50 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 49
Find out which cars are in insurance group 49 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 46
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 46 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 41
Find out the list of cars in insurance group 41 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 43
Find out the cars listed in insurance group 43 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 44
Find out what cars are in insurance group 44 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 45
Find out which cars are listed in insurance group 45 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 42
Find out what cars are available in insurance group 42 and how much it costs to insure them.