Car insurance group 23
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 23 and how much it might cost to insure them based on your age and location.
What's in this guide?
- What is insurance group 23?
- Car makes and models in insurance group 23
- Cars in insurance group 23 and the average cost by driver's age
- Why are cars in group 23 one of the cheapest?
- What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
- How can I save on my car insurance premiums?
- Frequently asked questions
What is insurance group 23?
Before they are made available to buy, all vehicles are assigned an insurance group from 1 (cheapest) to 50 (most expensive). Therefore, the vehicles found in group 23 are among the cheapest to insure.
The cars that fall in this group usually score well in factors used to determine the group ratings, such as having a lower market value, good car safety and installed security features.
However, these aren’t the only factors that are used to determine your premium. There are a number of other personal factors that insurers take into account, such as your age, driving history and location.
Car makes and models in insurance group 23
There are a number of popular cars in insurance group 23 that are likely to fall on the cheaper side when it comes to your car insurance premiums.
Here are some of the more popular vehicles in this group:
|Insurance group||Car make/model||Details|
|23||Peugeot 5008||This vehicle won Large SUV of the Year at the WhatCar? Awards 2019. It’s affordable without compromising on quality.|
|23||Volkswagen Polo||The Polo is impressively stable for a small car. It has great fuel economy and scored the maximum five stars in Euro NCAP crash tests.|
|23||Vauxhall Zafira||This family car always scores well for safety and reliability. Motorists enjoy its solid suspension and steering.|
|23||Audi A3||The Audi A3 family hatchback handles really well. The petrol car uses an efficient 1-litre engine.|
|23||Ford S MAX||This MPV has great fuel economy. It was rated as very reliable in the latest WhatCar? reliability survey. It also won a 5-star rating from Euro NCAP in its crash test.|
|23||Mazda CX5||This large SUV ranked second out of 31 vehicles in the 2019 WhatCar? Reliability Survey. Safety features include city emergency braking and stability control.|
|23||SEAT Alhambra||This MPV is affordable and has a good range of safety features, including land assist and road-sign recognition.|
|23||Volvo V70||The Volvo V70 is a five-door executive car. It has been rated as one of the safest cars available on the market and was awarded five stars in its Euro NCAP crash test.|
Cars in insurance group 23 and the average cost by driver’s age
Using the table below, you can look for your vehicle and estimate how much you’re likely to pay to insure it based on your age.
Why are cars in group 23 one of the cheapest?
Cars in insurance group 23 are usually cheaper cars to insure because of the following
- They have a large range of safety features.
- They have strong security features.
- Their parts are inexpensive to source.
- Their market value is on the lower side.
- They have smaller less powerful engines.
What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
These three key factors have the biggest impact on the cost of your insurance:
- Engine type and capacity. The larger and more powerful your engine, the more it’ll cost to repair or replace it. Your car insurance premium will rise to cover these higher expenses.
- Driver location. Your location plays a key role in the likelihood that your car will be stolen or involved in an accident. Your insurers will consider this when calculating your premium. A 30-year-old in central London will pay £978 for insurance for a Volvo V70 2.0F Ocean Race 5d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £841.
- Driver age. Insurers will use claims data to determine how likely someone your age is to make a claim. Your premium will be adjusted to reflect this risk. As an example, the average 20-year-old driver in London could pay £1,694 for the Audi A1 2.0 TDI Amplified Edition 3d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £887.
There are a lot of other factors that can also impact the price of your premiums. These include the following:
- Your marital status
- Your car’s safety rating, security and anti-theft precautions
- The likelihood of your specific vehicle being stolen
- Your driving activity
- Your driving history, including the length of your no-claims discount
- Your credit history
- Your occupation
How can I save on my car insurance premiums?
Choosing a car in insurance group 23 (or lower) is a good way to keep your car insurance costs down.
Here are some other things you can do to drive down the cost of your car insurance.
- Drive safely. Having driving convictions on your record will make your premium more expensive.
- Don’t use your car all of the time. Insurers will consider your annual mileage. If you can reduce this, your premium is likely to drop.
- Pay annually. By paying annually, you eliminate the possibility of having to pay interest on your monthly instalments.
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer you make your car, the cheaper your premium will be.
- Don’t just accept your renewal quote. Use price comparison websites to shop around for the best deal every year. You’ll be surprised at how much you could save by assessing your options.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Toyota GT86 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota GT86 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota Corolla insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Corolla falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Fox insurance group
Find out the average cost of insurance for a Volkswagen Fox and see how much you could pay based on age, location and model.
Hyundai Santa Fe insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Hyundai Santa Fe falls under and how much it might cost to insure.
Skoda Superb insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Skoda Superb falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Mercedes E-Class insurance group
Find out the average cost of insurance for the Mercedes E-Class based on the specific model version, the driver’s age and their location.
Audi S4 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Audi S4 falls under and the average cost of insurance.
Abarth 500 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Abarth 500 falls under and the average cost of insurance based on the driver’s age and location.
Ford Mustang insurance group
Find out the average cost of insurance for a Ford Mustang based on the specific model version, the driver’s age and their location.
Honda CR-Z insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Honda CR-Z falls under and how much it might cost to insure.