We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Car insurance for military members and their families
Find the cheapest car insurance for active and retired military members.
If you’re a member of the US armed forces or reserves, many retailers and insurance providers are willing to reward you for your service with discounts for you and your family — for life. It’s no surprise that those savings extend to special rates on car insurance for active service members and veterans.
- For military members & family
- Convenient service through the mobile app
- Coverage around the world
Our top pick: USAA
USAA offers affordable car insurance with highly rated customer service to millions of military members and their families. Only available to military members, veterans and affiliated military members.
- Save when you bundle your home and car insurance
- Driver & vehicle discounts
- 24/7 claims service through USAA’s free mobile app
- Membership savings
- Get dividends from company profits
- Flexible premium payments
Compare car insurance for military members and veterans
Car insurance discounts and perks for military members
Most standard providers offer a discount for drivers who serve in the military, meaning you can compare offerings from both military-specific providers and multi-line providers. To find an option that fits your priorities and needs, shop around and compare your options for the best value you’re eligible for.
- Military or former military discount. Active duty, retired and military members are eligible for premium discounts of up to 15%.
- Emergency deployment. If you’re part of an emergency deployment, you could be eligible for a deployment discount of about 25% off comprehensive coverage.
- Flexible policy management. Deployed troops could enjoy flexibility in suspending, canceling and reinstating auto insurance.
- Flexible payment schedule. Many insures let you choose when to pay monthly premiums based on your pay schedule, which might not fall on a standard employer schedule.
- Car buying support. Programs like USAA’s Overseas Vehicle Purchase Program help military members get a car if they’re stationed overseas for more than 30 days, with car purchase discounts and delivery to duty stations.
Can I get car insurance for a car I don’t use while deployed?
Yes, you have options for car insurance on a car you won’t use while you’re on base or deployed.
- Temporary car insurance. Get coverage only for when you’re actually driving your car. Check in with your insurer to avoid a lapse in coverage.
- Storage or laid-up coverage. Cover your car while it’s sitting in storage or on base.
- Borrowed car insurance. Add yourself to someone else’s policy when you share or borrow their car.
Who has the best insurance for the military, USAA or Geico?
Both USAA and Geico offer benefits to military members, veterans and their family.
- Known for the cheapest rates
- 15% discount for active or retired military
- 25% discount for deployed military members with some restrictions
- Known for low rates and high customer satisfaction
- Low rates for military members and family
- 60% discount for secure car storage while deployed
- 15% discount for keeping cars on base
While USAA’s strong commitment to members of the military make it a strong choice among competitors, consider shopping around fro car insurance before deciding on a provider.
Frequently asked questions about car insurance for military
Ask an Expert