Instant car insurance
Whether it's a regular policy or temporary cover, see how you can get car insurance right now.
What is instant car insurance?
Instant car insurance is any policy that you can be approved for immediately, whether it’s through an insurance provider or broker, online or over the phone. Nowadays, most insurers will let you apply for insurance online in minutes and will approve your policy instantly.
How to get instant car insurance
You can apply for instant car insurance online through a provider, or get an instant car insurance quote here.
As with any type of car insurance, you’ll need to provide your personal details, driving history and the type and model of your car when applying for instant car insurance.
Types of instant car insurance
- Temporary car insurance. If you need cover for as little as 1 hour or up to 28 days, you can generally get instant approval for a temporary car insurance policy. This may be to cover a hire car, shared car or a car you are borrowing for a certain period.
- Pay-as-you-go car insurance. With pay-as-you-go insurance, you pay based on how much you drive. This can be either a pay-per-mile or pay-per-hour policy, and lets you drive whenever you want without having to apply for temporary insurance.
How much does instant car insurance cost?
This depends on the type of car insurance you need, as well as things like your driving history, age and location. However, instant car insurance is not generally more expensive than any other car insurance.
In fact, many insurers offer discounts for customers who buy their car insurance online, so you may end up saving money compared to traditional insurance.
How to save on instant car insurance
Along with buying your instant car insurance online, there are a number of ways to reduce the price of your policy. These include:
- Choose a higher excess. By selecting a larger excess amount, you can reduce the size of your premiums and save on the cost of insurance. Keep in mind that if you want to make a claim, you’ll need to pay the higher excess.
- Get telematics insurance. If you’re a young or inexperienced driver, you may be able to save money on insurance by using black box, or telematics, insurance.
- Build a no-claims bonus. If you can avoid claiming on your insurance, most providers will offer you discounted premiums.
- Compare a range of policies. Research a number of different providers and policies to find the car insurance that best suits your needs.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert