GoSkippy Insurance car insurance review
Get all the facts about the car insurance on offer through GoSkippy, which specialises in covering young drivers.
Are you a young driver desperately trying to find decent car insurance that won’t hurt your pocket? GoSkippy Insurance claims to source the best deals to suit your budget-friendly needs. And what’s more, this five-star Defaqto rated insurance broker promises to enhance your car cover at the most competitive of prices.
Who is GoSkippy Insurance?
GoSkippy Insurance is a broker that works with a panel of insurance companies to offer car, van, motorbike, home and travel insurance.
Aimed predominantly at younger drivers, GoSkippy Insurance is a trading name of Eldon Insurance Services Ltd, which administers insurance in the UK on behalf of Gibraltar-based Southern Rock Insurance Company Ltd.
Eldon Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
What are GoSkippy’s levels of cover?
GoSkippy Insurance Third Party cover
Third party cover is the minimum level of cover that is offered by GoSkippy Insurance. All drivers in the UK are legally required to have at least this level of car insurance to be on the road. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to third party vehicles or property. Though it won’t cover any damage to your own car. Don’t assume this is the cheapest because it offers the least protection. Check each cover level to see which offers the best value.
GoSkippy Insurance Third Party Fire and Theft cover
You’ll get the same level of cover as third party but this will also provide protection against any fire damage or theft of your car.
GoSkippy Insurance Comprehensive cover
This is the highest level of cover on offer and will give the same protection as the other levels as well as insuring your vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. It’s always worth getting a quote for comprehensive as in some cases, it can be cheaper than lower levels of cover due to the risk profile of customers who choose them.
What is covered under my GoSkippy policy?
The specific benefits to your insurance policy will vary depending on the level of cover you choose and the insurer that is able to provide the cover through GoSkippy Insurance. Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
GoSkippy Insurance does offer some optional extras to provide you with more protection in certains areas. These optional extras include:
- Breakdown cover
- Legal expenses
- Windscreen cover
- Vehicle hire
- Misfuelling cover
- Key Care
- Excess protection
Any cover arranged through GoSkippy is likely to become invalid if any of the following arises:
- You are paid to carry passengers.
- You fail to pay for your premium.
- Your car is being driven by an unnamed driver on your policy or by a person that does not have a valid driving licence.
- Your car is used for rallies, races or competitions.
- You change your car during the policy term to a car that the insurer cannot cover.
- You do not provide the correct documents to support your application.
Check your policy for further details to confirm your cover is valid.
How to save on your car insurance policy through GoSkippy
- Check comprehensive. Contrary to what you might expect, comprehensive cover can be cheaper than third party (TP) or third party, fire and theft so it’s always worth checking. This is because of the risk profile of many people who get TP.
- Park securely. Cars kept in a garage or on a secure driveway are usually cheaper to insure.
- Reduce mileage. If you start working part-time or your long commute becomes much shorter, letting your insurer know about a reduction in your mileage could result in cheaper insurance.
- Increase the excess. Agreeing to pay a bigger voluntary excess could make your overall premium cheaper. But remember that your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. So be careful about making it too high, as it could leave you out of pocket if damage occurs.
- Pick a smaller car. Choosing to drive a small and safe car is likely to lower your premium
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your car and your driving experience.
A voluntary excess is normally an amount set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess, which should in turn reduce your premium.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for GoSkippy?
You should call the GoSkippy Insurance claims line on 0344 840 9504 to report a claim. This is a 24-hour claim line open seven days a week.
Alternatively, you can make a claim online by visiting the making a claim page on the GoSkippy website. Either way, you’ll need to have your policy details and al the facts about the incident in order to make a claim.
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.