Devitt Insurance car insurance review
Find out about the car insurance on offer through Devitt Insurance, and compare quotes.
We’ve looked into the different policies that Devitt Insurance provides, and some of the key benefits. This broker claims to offer cover at a competitive price and covers a range of drivers, from young through to experienced. Here’s what else you need to know.
Who is Devitt Insurance?
Having been established in 1936, Devitt Insurance has more than 80 years of insurance experience in the UK. This broker caters to a range of drivers, including learner, young and experienced drivers. It can also arrange insurance for drivers of specialist vehicles such as 4x4s or high-performance cars.
Devitt Insurance also offers van, motorcycle, motor trade, motorcycle training school and business insurance.
What are Devitt’s levels of cover?
Devitt’s Third Party cover
Third party cover is the minimum level of cover that is offered by Devitt Insurance. To be on UK roads, all drivers are legally required to have at least this level of car insurance. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to third party vehicles or property. But you won’t be protected for any damage to your own car.
Don’t assume this is the cheapest option because it offers the least protection. Sometimes, this cover may work out more expensive than comprehensive. Check each cover level to see which offers the best value for you.
Devitt’s Third Party Fire and Theft cover
You’ll get the same level of cover as third party but this will also provide protection against any fire damage or theft of your car.
Devitt’s Comprehensive cover
This is the greatest level of cover on offer andwill provide the same protection as the other levels as well as insuring your vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism.
It’s always worth getting a quote for comprehensive cover, as in some cases, it can be cheaper than lower levels of cover due to the risk profile of customers who choose them.
What is covered under my Devitt Insurance policy?
|Cover benefits||Third party||Third party, fire and theft||Comprehensive|
|Liability to other people and property||✓||✓||✓|
|Fire and theft||✓||✓|
|Personal accident cover||✓|
|90-day European cover||✓|
|Audio equipment and personal possessions cover||✓|
Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
Devitt Insurance does offer some optional extras to provide you with greater protection in certains areas. These optional extras include:
- Legal expense cover
- Breakdown cover
Any cover arranged through Devitt Insurance is likely to become invalid if any of the following arises:
- Your car is being driven by an unnamed driver on your policy or by a person that does not have a valid driving licence.
- Your car is used for rallies, races or competitions.
- You fail to pay for your premium.
- You are paid to carry passengers.
- You change your car during the policy term to a car that the insurer cannot cover.
- You do not provide the correct documents to support your application.
Check your policy document for further details to confirm your cover is valid.
How to save on your car insurance policy through Devitt Insurance
- Check comprehensive. Contrary to what you might think, comprehensive cover can often be cheaper than third party (TP) or third party, fire and theft so it’s always worth checking. This is because of the risk profile of many people who get TP.
- Park securely. Cars kept in a garage or on a secure driveway are usually cheaper to insure.
- Reduce mileage. If you start working part-time or your long commute becomes much shorter, letting your insurer know about a reduction in your mileage could result in cheaper insurance.
- Increase the excess. Agreeing to pay a bigger voluntary excess could make your overall premium cheaper. But remember that your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. So be careful about making it too high, as it could leave you out of pocket if damage occurs.
- Pick a smaller car. Choosing to drive a small and safe car is likely to lower your premium.
- Limit modifications. If you plan to modify your car, think about smaller changes as you could see your premium rise with substantial modifications.
- Drive carefully. Points of your driving licence will likely increase your premium.
- Improve your skills. By passing advanced driving tests, you could reduce your premium.
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount.
A voluntary excess is normally an amount set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess, which could in turn reduce your premium.
Meanwhile, a compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your car and your driving experience.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for Devitt Insurance?
You should call the Devitt Insurance claims line on 0345 872 3611 to report a claim. This free 24-hour helpline is open seven days a week. Before you do call the claims line, Devitt advises you to have the following to hand:
- Details about your insurance policy such as policy number
- Details about the incident such as the time, location, date and chain of events leading up to the incident
- Details about third parties involved
- A crime reference number, if applicable
It’s important that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. A delay in reporting an incident or failure to report it could result in a rejected claim later on.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Best car insurance for over 50s in the UK right now We've reviewed and rated the best car insurance providers out there in the UK for over 50s.
Mazda RX-8 insurance group and cost Find out the average cost of car insurance for a Mazda RX-8 based on the driver's age and location.
Peugeot 107 insurance group and cost Find out the average cost of car insurance for a Peugeot 107 based on the specific model version, the driver's age and their location.
Windscreen cover Discover why taking out windscreen replacement cover for your car could save you pennies in the long run.
Hyundai i20 insurance group and cost Find out the average cost of car insurance for a Hyundai i20 based on the specific model version, the driver's age and their location.
Mazda MX-5 insurance group and cost Find out the average cost of insurance for a Mazda MX-5 based on the specific model version, the driver's age and their location.
Mazda 3 insurance group and cost Compare the average cost of car insurance for a Mazda 3 based on the model version, the driver's age and their location.
Car insurance excess Your comprehensive guide to car insurance excess, what it is and when it needs to be paid.
Compare car insurance by make and model We compare and break down insurance prices by brand, car model and vehicle specs.
Nissan Note insurance group and cost Find out the average cost of insurance for a Nissan Note in the UK based on the specific model version, the driver's age and their location.