Car insurance group 50
Find out which cars are listed in insurance group 50 and how much it costs to insure them based on the driver's age and their location.
What's in this guide?
- What is insurance group 50?
- Car makes and models in insurance group 50
- Cars in group 50 and the average insurance cost by driver's age
- Why are cars in group 50 more expensive to insure?
- What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
- How can I save on my car insurance premium?
- Frequently asked questions
What is insurance group 50?
With insurance groups ranging from 1 to 50, vehicles in group 50 are the most expensive to insure. The cars that fall into this group usually have high market values and expensive parts and repairs.
In this guide, we’ll explore the factors used to place cars in group 50, plus the other circumstances considered by insurers when calculating your car insurance costs.
Car makes and models in insurance group 50
There’s a number of popular cars in insurance group 50. As you can expect, these cars have a high market value and are very expensive to insure.
|Insurance group||Car make/model||Details|
|50||Alfa Romeo Stelvio SUV||The Alfa Romeo Stelvio won the 2019 What Car? Performance SUV of the Year award. It also received a full 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP.|
|50||Audi A6 Avant||This executive car received a full 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP. Its safety features include a lane assist system and speed assistance.|
|50||Bentley Flying Spur||This is arguably Bentley’s most iconic vehicle. This 4-door luxury sedan is powered by a 6-litre twin-turbocharged W12 engine.|
|50||Bentley Bentayga SUV||The Bentley Bentayga is a mid-size SUV, which combines power with luxury. It is powered by a Twin Turbo Premium V8 engine.|
|50||BMW i8||This quick and agile hybrid sports car is equipped with a turbocharged 1.5-litre 3-cylinder gas engine. It is capable of going from 0-60mph in just 4.1 seconds.|
|50||Corvette Stingray||The Corvette Stringray won the 2020 MotorTrend Car of the Year award. This luxury sports car is powered by a 6.2-litre V8 engine, capable of reaching 60mph in as little as 2.8 seconds.|
|50||Jaguar XE||This executive vehicle won the Car Brand with Best Features award at the 2019 Auto Trader New Car Awards. It received a 5-star test rating from Euro NCAP.|
|50||Lotus Evora||This slick and sharp sports car boasts a 3.5-litre V6 engine, capable of going from 0-60mph in just 3.9 seconds.|
Cars in group 50 and the average insurance cost by driver’s age
The table below will help you work out how much you’ll pay for your car insurance, based on your chosen model of car and your age.
Why are cars in group 50 more expensive to insure?
Cars in insurance group 50 are typically defined by the following factors:
- Expensive to source parts and make repairs
- Market value is on the higher side
- Larger engine size
- Longer repair times
What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
Along with your car’s insurance group, these three factors have the biggest impact on the cost of your insurance:
- Engine type and capacity. A large powerful engine will cost more to repair and replace, and that’s why cars that possess big engines cost more to insure.
- Driver location. Insurers consider the likelihood of you making a claim based on your location. If you move to an area where a lot of claims are made, your premium may rise. A 30-year-old in central London will pay £1,302 for insurance for a Audi A8 S8 TFSI 571PS Tiptronic auto 4d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £1,219.
- Driver age. Like location, the age of the driver plays a huge role in determining the cost of your insurance premium. The average 20-year-old driver in London could pay £2,264 for the Ferrari F430 Scuderia 2d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £1,282.
Some other factors that can impact your premium include:
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
- Your car’s safety rating
- Your car’s security and anti-theft precautions
- The model and age of your car
- Your driving activity
- Your driving history
- Your no-claim discount
How can I save on my car insurance premium?
Choosing a car outside of group 50 will help you to reduce your car insurance premium. These vehicles are highly desirable in some circles though.
Thankfully, there are a few other things you can do to keep your car insurance costs down, and we’ve listed them below:
- Drive safely. If you have previous claims or (even worse) driving convictions on your record, this will make your premium more expensive.
- Don’t use your car all of the time. You’ll often be offered a lower premium if you register a lower annual mileage.
- Pay annually. By paying annually, you avoid having to pay interest on your premium.
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer you make your car, the cheaper your premium will be. As such, certain safety features will end up paying for themselves when you add them.
- Shop around for the best deal every year. When it’s time for renewal, don’t blindly accept your renewal quote from your existing insurer. You’ll usually save a lot by switching insurers each year.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Toyota Hilux insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Hilux falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Citroen Saxo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Citroen Saxo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Suzuki SX4 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Suzuki SX4 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
American car insurance
Read our comprehensive guide on American car insurance and how much it costs to buy cover.
Smart Forfour insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Forfour falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Nissan Navara insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Nissan Navara falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Can I drive a van on my car insurance?
Read our comprehensive guide on whether or not you are able to drive a van on your car insurance policy.
Toyota iQ insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota iQ falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Roadster insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Roadster falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Jaguar XE insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Jaguar XE falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ask an Expert