Car insurance group 42
Find out the average cost of insurance for a vehicle in insurance group 42 based on the driver's age and their location.
What is insurance group 42?
Every car you see on the road has been assigned an insurance group from 1 (the cheapest to insure) to 50 (the most expensive to insure). As such, cars in insurance group 42 are among the more expensive cars to insure.
The group that a particular model falls into depends on various factors, including market value, security features, cost of repairs and safety features.
On top of that, there are also other personal factors that insurers take into account, such as your age, driving history and location, so it’s always important to compare policies to find one that works for you.
Below, we’ll learn more about the factors that insurers use to price your car insurance.
Car makes and models in insurance group 42
There are a number of popular cars in insurance group 42 that are likely to fall on the expensive side when it comes to your car insurance premiums.
|Insurance group||Car make/model||Details|
|42||Audi A5 Sportback||The Audi A5 Sportback is a handsome car that runs smoothly and comfortably on its 2-litre 4-cylinder motor. Safety features include knee airbags and stability control.|
|42||BMW 4 Series Convertible||The BMW 4 Series offers a neat and slick style of handling. It can either be powered by a 2-litre 4-cylinder engine or a 3-litre 6-cylinder engine.|
|42||Infiniti Q50||The Infiniti Q50 is a classy, mid-size rear-drive saloon that is powered by a 3-litre V6 engine. It also scored a full 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP.|
|42||Land Rover Defender 90||This sleek and sturdy Land Rover is known for its legendary off-road capabilities. It can be powered by its standard turbocharged four-cylinder engine or an alternative turbo inline-six-cylinder with a hybrid-assist feature.|
|42||Lexus RX L||The Lexus RX L is powered by a 3.5-litre V6 engine. It also received a full 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP. Its safety features include a lane assist system.|
|42||Mercedes E-Class Saloon||Winning the “Most Recommended Car” at the 2019 Auto Trader Awards, this classy saloon can be powered by three different types of engines. It also received a full 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP.|
|42||Porsche 718 Cayman Coupe||The Porsche 718 Cayman is a fast and super-affordable coupe that rocks a smooth and easy drive. It also features a good range of personalisation options.|
|42||Volvo XC90||The Volvo XC90 is a mid-sized crossover SUV that is powered by a turbocharged 2-litre 4-cylinder engine. It also received a full 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP. Safety features including a lane assist system.|
Cars in insurance group 42 and the average cost by driver’s age
Using the table below, you can look for the make and model of your car and calculate how much you may pay for your car insurance based on your age.
Why are cars in group 42 more expensive?
Cars in insurance group 42 are usually expensive to insure because they have the following:
- Expensive market value
- Expensive parts and repairs
- Large powerful engine
- Long repair times
What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
Along with your car’s insurance group, these three factors have the biggest impact on the cost of your insurance:
- Engine type and capacity. Larger engines cost more to repair and replace, so the bigger your engine, the more you’re likely to pay for insurance.
- Driver location. Insurers factor in the likelihood of you making a claim based on your address. They use the data from previous claims to calculate this. As an example, a 30-year-old in central London will pay £1,243 for insurance for a Ford Mustang 2.3 EcoBoost 270 2d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £1,062.
- Driver age. Your age plays a huge role in determining the cost of your insurance premium. The youngest drivers tend to pay a lot more because they are statistically far more likely to make a claim. The average 20-year-old driver in London could pay £2,162 for the Lexus RX 450h Sport auto 5d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £1,132.
However, there are a lot of other factors that can also impact the price of your premiums. These include the following:
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
- Your car’s safety rating, security and anti-theft precautions
- The likelihood of your model being stolen
- The model and age of your car
- Your driving activity
- Your driving history
- No-claims discount
How can I save on my car insurance premiums?
Choosing a car in a lower insurance group will save you a lot of money. Here are some more ideas to help you reduce your premiums.
- Drive safely. It may sound obvious but previous claims or driving convictions will send your premium skyrocketing upwards.
- Reduce your annual mileage. The lower your annual mileage, the less of a risk you are deemed to be, and insurers will often lower your premium to reflect this. So, opt for public transport or walking whenever you can. It could dramatically reduce your car insurance costs as well as how much you spend on fuel.
- Pay annually. Some insurers charge interest if you decide to pay your car insurance in monthly instalments. So, pay annually to avoid those extra charges.
- Install extra safety precautions. By investing in extra safety features, your vehicle will be more secure and less of a risk to insure. These features will ultimately pay for themselves due to the savings you’ll make on your car insurance.
- Shop around. When it’s time to renew your policy, make sure to see what offers are available from other insurers. You’ll be surprised at how much you could save by switching.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Volvo V60 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volvo V60 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Chrysler Ypsilon insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Chrysler Ypsilon falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Lotus Elise insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Lotus Elise falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Bora insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volkswagen Bora falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Skoda Roomster insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Skoda Roomster falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot RCZ insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot RCZ falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Fortwo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Fortwo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Sedona insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Sedona falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota Supra insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Supra falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot 407 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 407 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ask an Expert