Car insurance group 40
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 40 and how much it might cost to insure them.
What is insurance group 40?
Every vehicle is assigned an insurance group from 1-50 before being made available to buy. Group 1 is the lowest and has the cheapest cars to insure. Group 50 is the highest and has the most expensive cars to insure.
The group that a particular vehicle falls into depends on a variety of factors, such as market value, safety features, cost of repairs and security features.
Cars in group 40 are more likely to be expensive to insure.
However, there are also a number of other factors that insurers take into account, such as your age, driving history and location, so it’s always important to compare policies to find one that works for you.
Car makes and models in insurance group 40
We’ve listed below a number of popular cars in insurance group 40 that are likely to fall on the more expensive side when it comes to the cost of your car insurance.
|Insurance group||Car make/model||Details|
|40||Audi A3 RS3||The Audi A3 RS3 is a small luxury family car, powered by a 2.5-litre turbocharged engine.|
|40||Jaguar XF Sportbrake||The Jaguar XF Sportbrake won the 2019 Vincentric Best Value in America™ award in the Luxury Wagon category. It was also awarded a full 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP.|
|40||BMW X4||The BMW X4 is an insanely fast SUV that sports a powerful turbocharged 3.0-litre inline-six capable of accelerating from 0-60 mph in 3.3 seconds.|
|40||Jeep Grand Cherokee||The Jeep Grand Cherokee is a mid-size SUV that can be powered by four different types of engines. It is a strong option for an off-road vehicle with great all-round performance.|
|40||Range Rover Evoque Coupe||This powerful coupe is equipped with a 2.0-litre turbocharged 4-cylinder engine with a 9-speed automatic transmission.|
|40||Lexus RX L||This midsize luxury crossover is powered by a 3.5-litre V6 engine. It also received a full 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP. Safety features include a Lane Assist System.|
|40||Mercedes A 45 Hatchback||The Mercedes A45 Hatchback makes a statement of having the most powerful turbocharged 4-cylinder engine. It also received a full 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP.|
|40||Volvo XC90||This mid-sized crossover SUV is powered by a turbocharged 2.0-litre 4-cylinder engine. It also received a 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP.|
Cars in insurance group 40 and the average cost by driver’s age
The table below will help you to estimate the price of insuring your vehicle, based on your age.
Why are cars in group 40 more expensive to insure?
Cars in insurance group 40 are usually characterised by:
- Expensive to source parts and repairs
- Market value is on the higher side
- Larger more powerful engines
- Longer repair times
What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
Along with your car’s insurance group, these three factors have the biggest impact on the cost of your insurance:
- Engine type and capacity. The bigger your engine, the more you’re likely to pay for insurance. That’s because larger engines cost more to repair or replace.
- Driver location. Insurers factor in the likelihood that your car will be stolen or involved in an accident based on your address. If you live in a location where a lot of claims are made, you’ll pay more to insure your car as a result. As an example, a 30-year-old in central London will pay £1,216 for insurance for a Audi A6 50 TFSI e Quattro Sport 4dr S Tronic 4d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £1,018.
- Driver age. Your age plays a key role in determining the cost of your insurance premium. Insurers will use previous claims data to determine the likelihood of someone your age making a claim and adjust your premium accordingly. The average 20-year-old driver in London could pay £2,115 for the Toyota Land Cruiser, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £1,108.
There are several other factors that can also impact the price of your premium.
Here are some of the more notable ones:
- Your marital status
- Where you park your car
- Your credit history and job
- Your car’s safety rating, security and anti-theft precautions
- The model and age of your car
- Your driving activity
- Your driving history, including your no-claim discount
How can I save on my car insurance premium?
Choosing a car in a lower insurance group is a great way to reduce the price of your premium. Thankfully, there are a few other things you can do to drive down the cost of your car insurance, and we’ve listed them below:
- Drive safely. If you make a claim or pick up a driving conviction, your premium will rise substantially.
- Reduce your annual mileage. You could save money on your insurance by reducing the number of miles you drive in your car.
- Pay annually. Paying annually means you’ll avoid having to pay interest on your monthly instalments.
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer you make your car, the lower your premium will fall.
- Find the best deal every year. When it’s time for renewal, shop around for the best deal using a price comparison website. You’ll usually be able to save a lot by switching insurers every year.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Car insurance group 47
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 47 and the average cost of insurance.
Car insurance group 48
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 48 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 50
Find out which cars are listed in insurance group 50 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 49
Find out which cars are in insurance group 49 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 46
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 46 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 41
Find out the list of cars in insurance group 41 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 43
Find out the cars listed in insurance group 43 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 44
Find out what cars are in insurance group 44 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 45
Find out which cars are listed in insurance group 45 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 42
Find out what cars are available in insurance group 42 and how much it costs to insure them.