Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business review
A small business travel card with 2x miles on purchases and a $95 annual fee starting your second year.
finder.com’s rating: 4.1 / 5
- Get this card if you want a travel card without the hassle of tracking reward categories.
- Pick something else if you want to earn higher rewards or if you don’t want to pay an annual fee.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Miles as welcome offer
Up to 5x
for the first year ($95 thereafter)
Purchase APR (variable)
|Annual fee||$0 intro annual fee for the first year ($95 thereafter)|
|Welcome Offer||50,000 miles after spending $4,500 in the first 3 months|
|Rewards||5x miles on hotel and rental car bookings through Capital One Travel℠ and 2x miles on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||20.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||20.99% variable|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business is a travel credit card. This means it comes with a rewards program where you earn 2 miles per dollar spent, which you can redeem for flights, hotels, vacation packages or transfer to Capital One’s airline partners. These include JetBlue, Qantas, Emirates, Etihad, Air Canada and more.
You also get to earn a decent signup bonus worth up to $500 in redemption value. This isn’t as high as you would get with some competitor cards, but it’s not that bad either. Another benefit is you get a Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee credit of up to $100. That credit alone can offset your annual fee, which is $95 from your second year of card membership.
International business travelers get to save money with 0% foreign transaction fees, car rental insurance, ticket replacement, travel assistance and more. All this makes the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business a decent travel credit card worth considering.
How to apply for the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business
- Go to the provider's site and click Apply now.
- Fill out the application form.
- Review the form and submit.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher. If you have a healthy business and excellent credit, your likelihood of approval is strong.
To apply for the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business, you must be:
- At least 18 years old.
- A resident of the US or a US military location.
Information you’ll need
To complete the application, you’ll need to provide information about yourself and your business, including:
- Your name and residential address.
- Your Social Security number.
- Your email address, phone number and date of birth.
- Financial information like your annual income and your monthly rent or mortgage.
- The name of your business, its mailing address and its phone number.
- Your employee count, business type and business structure.
- Your years in business, annual business revenue and monthly business spending.
- Your tax identification number.
Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business benefits
- Signup bonus. When you spend $4,500 on purchases within the first 3 months of opening your account, you’ll earn 50,000 miles. This is worth $500 in redemption value. This isn’t bad, but similar business credit cards offer a higher signup bonus.
- Rewards. Earn unllimited 2 miles per dollar spent on all purchases you make with your card. This flat rate can be attractive if you don’t want to keep track of multiple reward tiers. You can redeem your miles for statement credit or for flights, hotels, car rentals and more through Capital One’s Rewards Center. There’s no minimum to redeem your miles.
- No foreign transaction fees. You won’t incur fees when you use your card abroad or at foreign websites. Typically, providers charge a 3% fee each time you use your card for an international transaction. It doesn’t sound like much, but it can add up over a trip spanning several days. Since the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business comes with 0% foreign transaction fees, it’s an excellent choice for vacations or business trips.
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck statement credit. Use this card to pay for your Global Entry or TSA PreCheck and get up to $100statement credit for the fee.
- Add employee cards at no extra cost. You can add employees to your card account and earn rewards on their spending.
- Travel benefits. When you rent an eligible car with your Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business card, the vehicle will be covered against collision or theft. Also, get access to Mastercard emergency services like legal or medical referrals, ticket replacement and other forms of travel assistance.
- Purchase security and extended protection. Eligible items you buy with your Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business are covered against theft or accidental loss. Also, enjoy extended warranties on eligible items.
Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business drawbacks
- Intro annual fee expires after the first year. The first year, you’ll pay a $0 annual fee. Starting the second year, you’ll start paying a $95 annual fee.
- No intro APR. You’ll pay a 20.99% variable APR on purchases and balance transfers from the start.
Compare business credit cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What size business is the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business good for?
Because the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business offers flat rewards on all spending, it can be a good choice for businesses of all sizes. Specifically, your expenses needn’t be concentrated in specific categories for you to earn meaningful rewards.
Keep an eye on the card’s annual fee, which is $0 for the first year and $95 every year thereafter. To break even on the annual fee, you’ll need to earn 9,500 miles, which is worth $95 at the industry rate of 1 mile = 1 cent.
Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business reviews and complaints
Many customers say they’re pleased with the rewards they earn from the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business. Unhappy customers say they’ve encountered unhelpful customer service at Capital One.
The Better Business Bureau has accredited Capital One with a rating of A as of October 2020. However, it sports a 1.13 out of 5 when it comes to a customer rating from an average of nearly 500 reviews. It fares little better on Trustpilot, earning a 1.4 rating out of 5 as of October 2020.
The Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business is a travel rewards card with 2x miles on all purchases and a decent signup bonus. The card has no foreign transaction fees, which is great for those who travel abroad. Plus you get up to $100 in Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee credit. You get all this for a $95 annual fee starting from your second year.
Interested in seeing what else is out there? Compare other business credit cards.
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.