Toyota Hilux insurance group
Compare car insurance costs for your Toyota Hilux based on your age and location.
The Toyota Hilux is a pick-up truck that has been available from this Japanese manufacturer since 1968. Its early editions were rarely found on the road, as they were seen as more of an off-road vehicle, but now, as well as being powerful and reliable, the new generations of the Hilux are faster and more refined. The cost of ownership might be a stumbling block, but that’s not surprising for a pick-up truck. In this guide, we’ll explore how much it costs to insure a Toyota Hilux based on the specific model version and the demographics of the driver.
What insurance group does the Toyota Hilux fall under?
All vehicles are given a specific insurance group that ranges from 1 (cheapest) to 50 (most expensive), which helps determine the cost of your premium. You’ll find a Toyota Hilux in insurance groups 41 to 50, meaning they’re among the most expensive cars to insure. As an example, a 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay around £1,041 for cover on a Toyota Hilux Invincible 2.4 D-4D 150 DIN hp Double Cab that is in insurance group 41 or around £1,219 for a Toyota Hilux Icon 2.4 D-4D 150 DIN hp Double Cab that is in insurance group 50.
Toyota Hilux insurance cost by location
Among the factors that affect the cost of your car insurance premium, one of the most important is your location.
Here are some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for a Toyota Hilux Active 2.4 D-4D 150 DIN hp.
- Expensive: £1,294 (London SE1)
- Average: £1,194 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £898 (Galashiels TD1)
Which factors affect my Toyota Hilux insurance rate?
Here are some of the other key factors that have a big impact on your insurance premium costs:
- Engine type and capacity. In general, the larger the engine, the more you’ll pay for your car insurance. For example, it may cost £1,243 for insurance for a Toyota Hilux Invincible X 2.4 D-4D 150 DIN hp Double Cab, while you may pay £1,302 for a Toyota Hilux Icon 2.4 D-4D 150 DIN hp Double Cab.
- Driver location. Insurers use your home address to determine the level of risk that your car may be stolen or involved in an accident, and this affects the cost of insurance. For example, a 30-year-old in central London may pay £1,302 for insurance for a Toyota Hilux Icon 2.4 D-4D 150 DIN hp Double Cab, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £1,219.
- Driver age. The youngest drivers will pay the most for car insurance because they are the most likely to make a claim. As an example, the average 20-year-old driver in London may pay £2,162 for the Toyota Hilux Invincible X 2.4 D-4D 150 DIN hp Double Cab, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £1,132.
Other factors that influence the cost of your insurance include the following:
- Your annual mileage
- The model and age of your car
- Your car’s safety rating score
- Your car’s anti-theft precautions
- Your driving history and activity
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
- Your no claims discount
How can I save on my Toyota Hilux premium?
Car insurance is expensive for this vehicle, but there are ways to keep costs down. Here are some ideas to help you lower the cost of your premium.
- Limit your annual mileage (where possible). If you can occasionally walk or use public transport, rather than using your car, this can help to save on your premium.
- Pay annually rather than monthly. Some insurers charge interest on monthly payments. When you pay annually, you avoid the possibility of being charged this interest.
- Install extra safety precautions. This makes your car safer and reduces the risk of you making a claim on your premium. That’s why many insurers are happy to lower your premium when you do so.
- Shop around for the best deal every year. Don’t just settle for the renewal price given to you. You’ll usually find a better deal on price comparison websites by switching to a competitor each year.
Facts about the Toyota Hilux
- There have been 8 generations of this vehicle produced since 1968.
- The Hilux has different names in different parts of the world. These alternative names are the Tacoma, Surf and the 4Runner.
A pick-up truck with this much power will always cost a lot to insure. But, with our tips, you should be able to keep costs down.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Toyota Supra insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Supra falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota iQ insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota iQ falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota Aygo Insurance Group
Find out the insurance group for your Toyota Aygo, how much it should cost to insure and how to save on your premiums.
Toyota Yaris insurance group and cost
Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Toyota Yaris and how to save on your car insurance premiums.