Nationwide FlexPlus current account review
Looking for a current account that comes with a range of perks for you and your family? Find out what the Nationwide FlexPlus account has to offer.
|Account fee||£13 per month|
|ATM withdrawal limit||£500|
|Card type||Cash / Debit|
|Minimum eligibility age||18 Years|
|Mininum operating balance||£0|
|Minimum opening balance||£0|
|Current account switch guarantee|
Nationwide Building Society is owned by its members which means that anyone who banks, saves or has a mortgage with Nationwide can have their say on how it’s run. Its history dates back to the 19th century and it offers a wide range of financial products including current accounts.
What is the Nationwide FlexPlus current account?
The Nationwide FlexPlus current account is a packaged account. This means it offers a range of benefits, including travel insurance, mobile phone insurance and European breakdown cover, in return for a £13 monthly fee.
The account can be managed online, via the app, over the phone or in branch and can be opened on a single or joint basis. In fact, you can open your FlexPlus as a joint account and add someone to it later, such as a friend, partner or family member.
How does it work?
The Nationwide FlexPlus current account offers the following key features:
- Worldwide travel insurance. For you and your family, including winter sports, golf, weddings and business cover.
- Mobile phone insurance for the family. Your phone and those belonging to your partner and dependent children are covered for loss, theft, damage and faults.
- Vehicle breakdown cover. Whether you’re driving or a passenger, you’ll have cover from the AA in the UK and rest of Europe, with no excess to pay and unlimited callouts.
- Access to other products. As a member of Nationwide, you’ll get access to exclusive savings accounts like its Flex Regular Saver.
- Text alerts. Set your text alert preferences to help you manage your money.
- Optional cheque book. You can request a cheque book if you need one.
- Arranged overdraft. You can apply for an arranged overdraft at any time.
- Fee-free transactions abroad. There are no transaction fees for using your Visa debit card abroad.
Who is it for?
To open the Nationwide FlexPlus account, you must be a UK resident aged 18 or over and hold no more than 4 existing sole or joint Nationwide current accounts.
This account is likely to best suit families who regularly travel and who are likely to make use of the benefits on offer, provided they’re happy to pay £13 a month.
What are the benefits?
The biggest benefit of the FlexPlus account is that you’ll be able to make the most of a range of different insurance policies for you and your family. These include travel insurance, mobile phone insurance and vehicle breakdown cover. Another key benefit is that there are no fees for using your debit card overseas, making the account even more suitable for those who regularly holiday abroad.
How to apply
The easiest way to apply for the Nationwide FlexPlus account is online. If you’re opening an individual account you can also do so over the phone. To open your account, you’ll need:
- Your address history for the past 3 years
- Your employer’s address (if you’re employed)
- A valid UK passport or driving licence
If you don’t have a passport or driving licence you may need to go into a branch with your ID.
Is it safe?
Yes, Nationwide is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the PRA. This means eligible deposits will be protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) up to £85,000 per person (up to £170,000 for joint accounts).
Pros and cons of the Nationwide FlexPlus account
- Includes travel insurance, mobile phone insurance and breakdown cover
- Arranged overdraft available
- Access to exclusive products
- Easy to apply for
- FSCS protection
- No fees for using your card abroad
- Monthly fee applies
- Interest charged on overdrafts
- No interest paid on balances
If you’re looking for a current account that offers a little extra, the Nationwide FlexPlus account is one of the most competitive packaged accounts out there. For a fee of just £13 a month, you’ll get a range of insurance policies for you and your family.
However, before proceeding, it’s important to check you do not already have travel, mobile or breakdown cover elsewhere. For example, your mobile phone might already be protected under your home insurance or you might already have travel insurance through your credit card.
In addition, consider whether you’re likely to make full use of these benefits to ensure the fee is worth paying. It can make good financial sense to check whether you can find these insurance policies for less than the annual cost of the account fee (£156 in this case) to ensure you’re definitely getting good value for money.
Finally, make sure you check for exclusions – there’s no point applying for the account, only to find you can’t make a claim when it matters most.