The Home Insurer landlord insurance review
The Home Insurer offers specialist land and property protection, and promises to keep premiums the same for those who don't claim in the first year.
Who is The Home Insurer?
The Home Insurer is a specialist insurance broker in property and land cover. It offers a range of policies including landlord, home, flood, land, subsidence and unoccupied insurance. It also offers cover for unique homes such as thatched properties or listed buildings.
If no claims are made in the first year of a landlord insurance policy, The Home Insurer says it guarantees that your premium won’t increase if you decide to renew, and may even decrease for the following year.
The Home Insurer is a trading style of Property Expert Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
What is covered under my policy?
The Home Insurer’s landlord insurance includes a range of features. As the landlord policies are underwritten by a number of insurers, you will need to get a full list of policy features by getting a quote from The Home Insurer or by checking your policy document carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
The Home Insurer offers additional protection that can be bolted onto a landlord insurance policy including:
- Landlord emergency insurance
- Rent guarantee insurance
- Legal insurance
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you will need to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount.
A voluntary excess is on top and is normally set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess – which should lower your premium.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
How much is this going to cost me?
There are a number of factors that can affect the cost of your The Home Insurer landlord insurance premium, including:
- Your sum insured. The greater the amount you wish to insure your property or contents for, the more you can expect to pay for cover.
- Your property. The age of your property and the materials from which it is constructed can influence its ability to withstand damage.
- Where your property is located. Certain risks, for example storm and theft, are more prevalent in certain areas, and insurers will take this into consideration when calculating your premiums.
- Security. Security measures such as an alarm system and deadbolts can act as a deterrent to thieves and therefore reduce the cost of your cover.
What is the claims process for The Home Insurer?
You will need to refer to your policy document and follow the claims process contained within it.
Depending on the nature of your claim, you will need to provide the following information:
- Your policy details and personal contact details
- The date of the incident
- Details such as the cause of the incident
- The value of any lost or damaged items being claimed for
- Names and addresses of any other people involved or responsible for the incident, including details of injuries
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
The Home Insurer pros and cons
- Landlord insurance can be enhanced with optional extras
- Price guarantee for the second year if no claims are made in the first year
- No claims line details available for landlord insurance
- Limited information on The Home Insurer website
- You will need to pay an admin fee to amend your policy
- You will need to pay a cancellation fee to terminate your policy after the 14-day cooling off period
Read more on this topic
Aviva landlord insurance review Aviva landlord insurance is designed to protect your property inside and out. See how it measures up in our review.
buzzvault home insurance review Insurtech buzzvault aims to save customers money on their home insurance by using a video survey and a digital "vault" of their possessions.
Student contents insurance If you study away from home, read our guide to find out whether you need student contents insurance.
Simplesurance discount codes You can save money on electronics insurance with these Simplesurance discount codes.
Premierline landlord insurance review Whether you're a residential or commercial landlord, Premierline offers landlord insurance to cover a range of buildings and situations.
Will home insurance cover foundation damage? Find out whether your home insurance covers damage to your property's foundations and compare quotes too.
Insuring your first home Find out everything you need to know about home insurance as a first-time homeowner and compare quotes too.
Cancelling home insurance Our guide walks you through cancelling your home insurance. Find out whether it's worth it and compare quotes here too.
How much is home insurance? Find out what you should be paying in home insurance, why your costs might be high and get tips on lowering costs.
Barclays home insurance review Looking for home insurance? Review and compare Barclays home insurance policies and find the right cover for you.