Who is Age Co?
Age Co is the commercial arm of Age UK, the UK’s largest charity dedicated to helping people in later life. It’s been providing services and support to older people since it was created in April 2009.
The organisation’s vision is to make the UK a great place for people to grow old in, and it provides free information and advice on a range of topics including money, wellbeing, care, travel and work. It also offers home insurance specifically tailored for over-50s.
What does Age Co’s home insurance cover?
Age Co’s home insurance policies offer cover for your home against certain risks. These include:
- Fire, lightning, explosion or earthquake
- Riot, civil commotion, political disturbance
- Falling trees or branches
- Falling television and radio aerials
- Accidental damage to underground drains, pipes, cables and tanks
- Escaped oil/water
Full details are on the Age Co site, but here’s a breakdown of what’s covered in the buildings and contents policies, and optional extras are listed below our table.
|What is covered?||Buildings||Contents|
|Property owner’s liability||✓|
|Professional fees and costs for rebuilding or repairing buildings||✓|
|Underground pipes, drains and cables||✓|
|Glass and sanitaryware||✓|
|Rent and alternative accommodation||✓||✓|
|Protection during the sale of your home||✓|
|Protection against damage caused by emergency services||✓|
|Protection against squatters||✓|
|Accidental loss of metered water or oil in domestic heating systems||✓||✓|
|Replacement lock and keys||✓||✓|
|Compulsory evacuation alternative accommodation||✓||✓|
|Newly acquired fixtures||✓|
|Accidental breakage to television sets, satellite receivers, radios, audio and video equipment||✓|
|Accidental breakage in your home eg glass shelves, ceramic hobs and damage to food||✓|
|Liability for domestic employees||✓|
|Contents temporarily removed||✓|
|Wedding and civil partnership ceremony insurance||✓|
|Shopping in transit||✓|
|Tenant’s home improvements||✓|
|Fraudulent use of credit cards||✓|
|Medical equipment on loan||✓|
What optional extras can I get with Age Co home insurance?
- Accidental damage. Available for buildings and contents policies.
- Unspecified personal belongings. This extension is available for contents insurance policies and covers the loss or damage to pedal cycles, wheelchairs and pavement vehicles, personal belongings, money, credit cards and mobile phones.
- Specified personal belongings. This extension is available for Age Co’s contents insurance policy and provides protection against any loss or damage to the specified personal belongings or valuables listed in the schedule.
- Pedal cycles. This provides protection for yours and your family’s pedal cycles and accessories (listed in the schedule).
- Static caravan. This provides protection for the fixture and equipment of your static caravan.
- Touring caravan. The caravan and if selected caravan equipment
identified in your schedule would be covered for loss or damage under this policy extra.
- Home emergency. This providers repair for an emergency within the home, including boiler repair.
- Personal legal protection. This provides legal protection for things such as employment, contract or property disputes and personal injuries or clinical negligence.
What benefits do I get with an Age Co home insurance policy?
- 24-hour domestic assistance service. If you have an emergency at home, the service provider Arc Legal Assistance Ltd will organise help from an authorised contractor. Their costs and call out fees will be repaid if your home insurance policy or home emergency policy covers it (minus any excess)
- Identity theft advice. If you have been the victim of identity theft or are worried about it, you can get advice and guidance.
- 24-hour legal helpline. You can seek expert, confidential, independent advice about any legal problem that arises under the laws of any member country in the EU, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Switzerland or Norway.
- Optional additional voluntary excess. If you decide to pay an additional excess of for your buildings and contents insurance, you can reduce your insurance premium.
What will my excess be?
An excess is the monetary amount that you are required to contribute towards a claim. The following excesses are in addition to any other excess that is applicable. This information can be found in your policy schedule. Every incident requires the same amount of excess in the event of a claim apart from:
- Property owner’s liability
- Public and personal liability, liability for domestic employees, tenant’s liability and unpaid damage
- Liability to third parties
- Subsidence, heave or landslip claims
- Escaping water claims
What is the Age Co claims process?
To make a claim, all you have to do is call the claims helpline, which will be shown on your policy schedule. The line is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Age Co will confirm whether your policy covers for you for the incident. Ensure you have your policy details to hand when you call.
If you have home emergency cover, you can call 0144 444 2114.
To make a claim on your personal legal protection policy, you can call 0333 005 0353 and quote “Age Co personal legal protection”.
More guides on Finder
The cheapest countries to study in Europe in 2023
Costs to study in Europe, when including tuition fees, rent and living costs, vary, but here are the cheapest countries for students.
Find out the winners of the Finder Investing & Saving Innovation Awards 2023!
The winners of the Finder Investing & Savings Innovation Awards and the inaugural People’s Choice Awards 2023 are revealed.
Nationwide launches new £200 switching offer
Nationwide has launched a new £200 switching offer when you open one of its 3 main current accounts and access to a regular saver at 8% AER.
How to buy Imagination Technologies shares when it goes public
Everything we know about the Imagination Technologies IPO, plus information on how to buy shares.
Credit card fraud statistics
£556.3 million was lost to UK credit, debit and other payment card fraud in 2022. We look at the latest statistics on card fraud in the UK.
Instacart IPO: Bargain tech stock or pricey top-shelf share?
The much-anticipated Instacart initial public offering (IPO) took place on Monday, 18 September, giving the market more momentum after Arm’s IPO last week.
How to invest in ETFs
Find out how to invest in ETFs, where UK investors can buy and sell exchange-traded funds, and what to look out for.
How to buy Birkenstock (BIRK) shares when it goes public
Everything we know about the Birkenstock IPO, plus information on how to buy shares.
How to buy Klaviyo (KVYO) shares when it goes public
Everything we know about the Klaviyo IPO, plus information on how to buy shares.
How to buy RC365 shares
Learn more about RC365 recent performance and where you can invest in RC365 shares. We also run through some helpful rules of thumb for any investor