Buildings insurance

Cover your home for damage and disaster with buildings insurance.

Get a home quote with

  • Save over £100 on your home insurance*
  • Compare over 50 home insurance providers
  • Enjoy rewards
Start comparison
Powered by

Compare building insurance quotes

Name Product Maximum Buildings Cover Maximum Contents Cover Home emergency Details
Admiral home insurance
Unlimited (depending on policy)
Up to £150,000 (depending on level of cover)
Optional extra
Choose from 3 different home insurance products with varying levels of cover and benefits. Each cover level combines both building and contents insurance under one policy.
Tesco Bank Home Insurance
Up to £100,000 (depending on cover level)
Optional extra
Buildings and contents insurance can be bought separately or combined. Each has a range of different features and there are also optional extras you can include to boost your cover.
Endsleigh Home Insurance
Optional extra
Tailor your policy with optional extras including family legal protection and accidental damage. Cover for non-standard construction.
More Than home insurance
Choose from a range of optional extras and upgrades. 24/7 home emergency cover included as standard.
Contents only
Not specified
GetSafe is a newcomer to the home insurance space - offering contents insurance for both tenants and home owners that can be managed easily through an app.

Urban Jungle
Up to £1000000
Up to £75000

Compare up to 4 providers

What is buildings insurance?

Buildings insurance is a type of home insurance policy which protects the physical structure of your home against risks like fire, flooding and theft.

Should your home be damaged or destroyed the insurer will pay for any repair or rebuilding work that needs doing.

What is the difference between buildings insurance and contents insurance?

Buildings insurance is totally different from the other main type of home insurance – contents insurance. While buildings cover will protect the bricks and mortar of your property, you’ll need contents cover if you want to protect any possessions inside.

What does buildings insurance cover?

Buildings insurance will typically cover any repair or rebuilding costs should it be damaged or destroyed by one of the following:

  • Fire, smoke and explosions
  • Storms and flood
  • Subsidence
  • Vandalism
  • Falling trees
  • Vehicle collisions
  • Water damage from a burst or leaking pipe
  • Oil leaking from a heating system

    What buildings insurance doesn’t cover

    As with all types of insurance, there are reasons the insurer will refuse to pay out. Generally damage caused to your home by the following won’t be covered:

    • Wear and tear
    • Vermin and pests
    • Leaking gutters
    • Frost

    Who is buildings insurance for?

    In a nutshell, buildings insurance is for property owners and landlords – if you own the freehold to the property.

    You don’t need this type of protection if you’re just a tenant who is renting the place.

    Ultimately buildings insurance isn’t legally required. However, if you have (or are planning on taking out) a mortgage, the lender will most likely demand you take out buildings insurance.

    Likewise, if you own a flat you might have to take out cover as part of a leasehold agreement.

    How much is buildings insurance?

    The annual cost of buildings insurance really varies and depends on a whole host of factors:

    • Your claims history. If you’ve made several home insurance claims over the past few years you’ll probably be hit with higher premiums.
    • Your profession. Insurers view certain jobs as being higher risk. If you’re a self-employed musician and you store your expensive instruments at home, this could mean higher premiums.
    • Your lifestyle. Insurers see smokers as being higher risk, as there’s more chance your home will catch fire.
    • Address. Insurers will use the location of your home as one main factor when calculating your costs. If your home is in an area with a high crime rate or a high flood risk, you’ll pay more.
    • Building materials. Homes with wood features like timber frames are seen as higher fire risks and will drive insurance prices up.
    • Security features. If your home has security features such as a burglar alarm you’ll pay less in insurance.
    • Your level of cover. Homes with higher estimated rebuild values will invariably have higher insurance costs. After all, it’s the insurer who is going to have to foot the bill for any damage.

    What can I do to bring down my premiums?

    Feel like you’re paying too much in insurance premiums? Here’s how you can reduce costs:

    • Accurate rebuild estimate. Don’t pay more in insurance than you need to. By using a commissioned survey’s valuation or the Association of British Insurers’ calculator, you can make sure you get a near precise rebuild value estimate, which means you won’t pay more than you need to for insurance.
    • Try paying annually. Insurers tend to charge customers more when they pay in monthly instalments so try to pay for your buildings cover in annual lump-sums.
    • Opt for a higher excess. Your excess is the amount you’ll have to pay towards a claim before the insurer starts helping out financially. By agreeing to pay a higher excess the provider could slash your premiums.
    • Never auto-renew. Shop around each year when your policy is nearing its end date. You could find a better deal elsewhere as insurers often don’t reward loyalty.
    • Build a no claims discount. While it’s impossible to not claim in certain circumstances, by refraining from claiming for small repairs you can build towards a no claims discount after a few years.
    • Install alarms. Fitting burglar and smoke alarms in your property can cut insurance costs, but make sure they’re approved models before buying.

    Frequently asked questions

    The offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of products we can track; we don't cover every product on the market...yet. Unless we've indicated otherwise, products are shown in no particular order or ranking. The terms "best", "top", "cheap" (and variations), aren't product ratings, although we always explain what's great about a product when we highlight it; this is subject to our terms of use. When making a big financial decision, it's wise to consider getting independent financial advice, and always consider your own financial circumstances when comparing products so you get what's right for you.

    More guides on Finder

    Go to site