Co-op Home Insurance

Co-op home insurance

Find out if Co-op's Home Insurance is the best fit for your home.

When it comes to home insurance, there’s no “one size fits all”. There’s a lot you need to consider when finding a home insurance policy that provides the right protection for your home.

But we’re here to help. Keep reading to find out whether Co-op’s home insurance policy is right for you.

Who are Co-op Insurance?

The Co-operative Insurance Company Limited began in 1867, providing fire insurance to co-operative societies. It’s part of the Co-op Group which is one of the world’s largest consumer co-ops.

Fast forward 150 years and Co-op Insurance is now providing home, pet and car insurance to its customers.

What are the Co-op’s cover options?

The Co-op provides one plan to cover both buildings and contents insurance, as well as the option to have them separately. Each has a range of different features and there are also optional extras which you can add on to your cover for that extra security.

Co-op Buildings Cover

The Co-op’s buildings cover offers essential cover for your building against damage caused by a long list of insured events.

Features of this include:

  • Up to £500,000 rebuilding costs to cover against loss or damage to the structure of your home
  • Accidental damage cover for underground pipes, drains and cables
  • UK call centres for help with your quote and customer service.
  • Cover for domestic outbuildings at your home address, including sheds, garages and greenhouses
  • Property owner’s liability up to £2m plus legal costs
  • Legal Expenses Insurance (managed by Co-op Legal Services) for up to £50,000 of legal costs.
  • Loss of rent and the cost of alternative accommodation – up to £20,000.
Co-op Contents Cover

The Co-op’s contents cover offers essential cover for your contents against loss or theft caused by a long list of insured events.

Features of this include:

  • New for old replacement of items (except household linen and clothing)
  • Personal and occupier’s liability up to £2m plus legal costs
  • UK call centres for help with your quote and customer service.
  • Up to £2,000 cover from theft from domestic outbuildings
  • Up to £5,000 cover for office equipment in the home
  • Up to £500 cover for visitors personal belongings (limit per visitor)
  • A choice from 4 levels of high risk item limits (£6,000, £9,000, £12,000 or £15,000) tailor the policy to your needs by choosing the adequate level of cover for your valuables
  • Accidental damage to TV equipment, remote controls and non-portable audio/video/DVD/computer equipment
  • Replacement locks following theft of external door keys to your home – up to £500
  • Loss of personal money from the home – up to £250.
Optional policy extras

Co-op home insurance offers additional cover options for their customers, these include:

  • Home Emergency cover. Provides cover in case of an emergency of up to £250 including VAT for a trades person to provide repairs.
  • Personal Possessions cover. Allows you to insure your most treasured possessions outside of the home. It can be unspecified cover which can be up to £2000, or specified, for particularly valuable items, which can go to £12,500.
  • Contents Accidental Damage cover. This optional extra will protect you further for damage such as spilt paint on your carpet or furniture.
  • Buildings Accidental Damage cover. This optional extra will protect you further against DIY accidents such as drilling through a pipe or cable.

What’s covered under my policy?

The Co-op’s home insurance policies offer cover and protection for your home against certain risks. These include:

  • Fire, lightning, explosion or earthquake
  • Smoke
  • Riot, civil commotion, political disturbance
  • Impact by aircraft, aerial devices, trains, road vehicles or animals.
  • Falling trees or branches
  • Falling television and radio aerials
  • Storms/ Floods
  • Theft/vandalism
  • Accidental damage to underground drains, pipes, cables and tanks
  • Escaped oil/water
  • Subsidence

But the Co-op’s home insurance policies also include some extra cover as standard. Check out some of these additional extras below, for a full list check out the Co-op home insurance policy document.

Freezing of any fixed water or heating system
Accidental breakage of sanitary fittings, glass in doors, windows, solar panels & greenhouses
Loss of rent and cost of alternative accommodation
Property owner’s liability
Legal Expenses Insurance
24-hour legal advice helpline
Home Rescue helpline
Claims settlement basis
Loss of personal money from home
Fraudulent use of credit cards
Loss of food in freezer due to freezer failure
Accidental damage to TV equipment
Accidental breakage of mirrors, fixed glass in furniture and ceramic in hobs
Loss/damage to garden contents
Loss/damage to contents during house removals by professionals
Replacement locks
Personal and occupier’s liability
Tenant’s liability

What is my excess?

An excess is the amount of money you contribute when you make a claim. The amount of your excess will depend on the level of cover you have and the nature of your claim. If the nature of your claim is both buildings and contents, the higher excess will be applied. It’s important to refer to your Co-op home policy schedule as it may be that more than one excess applies to your claim:

Co-op Home Insurance offers flexible excess payments which is great if you want to negotiate your premium prices. Opting for a higher excess in the event of a claim could bring down your premiums. You can choose an excess of £50, £100, £150 or £300 which will apply to claims under the buildings and contents sections. A £1,000 excess will apply to any claim for subsidence, heave of the site or landslip under the buildings insurance option and an excess of £50 will apply for loss of or damage to property under all other sections.

There is an excess of £50 for personal possessions. £250 on Legal Expenses (for nuisance and trespass claims), but no excess payable for HomeRescue Plus.

How much is this going to cost me?

There are a number of factors that can affect the cost of your Co-op home insurance premium, including:

  • The level of cover you choose. Whether you choose to use contents cover, buildings cover, or both, it will reflect on the overall price that you pay. Adding on optional extras will also add onto the price.
  • Your sum insured. The greater the amount you wish to insure your home or contents for, the more you can expect to pay for cover.
  • Your home. The age of your home and the materials from which it is constructed can influence its ability to withstand damage.
  • Where your home is located. Certain risks, for example storm and theft, are more prevalent in certain areas, and insurers will take this into consideration when calculating your premiums.
  • Security. Security measures such as an alarm system and deadbolts can act as a deterrent to thieves and therefore reduce the cost of your cover.

What is the claims process for Co-op home insurance?

Should you need to make a claim during your home insurance policy, there are numerous telephone numbers you can use to contact Co-op.

If your claim concerns your Buildings, Contents or Personal Possessions Insurance, you can call 0345 999 8888.

If your claim concerns your Legal Expenses cover, you can call 0330 606 9504.

If your claim concerns HomeRescue Plus, you can call 0345 607 6472.

All of these lines are available 24 hours a day.

Before you make a claim, have this information ready:

  • Name and address of the policyholder
  • Policy number
  • Date and time of the incident
  • Causes of the loss or damage
  • Claim value if known
  • Details of any person responsible for the incident
  • Any relevant documents or photographs to support your claim
  • A crime or loss reference number, if you’ve been a victim of theft, vandalism or lost items when outside of your home
The offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of products we can track; we don't cover every product on the market...yet. Unless we've indicated otherwise, products are shown in no particular order or ranking. The terms "best", "top", "cheap" (and variations), aren't product ratings, although we always explain what's great about a product when we highlight it; this is subject to our terms of use. When making a big financial decision, it's wise to consider getting independent financial advice, and always consider your own financial circumstances when comparing products so you get what's right for you.

More guides on Finder

Go to site