M&S Bank

M&S Bank’s home insurance

Find out if M&S Bank's home insurance provides the right protection for your home.

No reviews yet. Write a review

Life is full of surprises and you want to be as prepared as possible. So, you want to find the best home insurance policy available to protect your home and belongings.

M&S Bank simply offers a package for contents cover, buildings cover or both together so there’s no confusion about what you’re getting. You can also choose from standard or premium cover so you have cover that suits your needs.

Who is M&S Bank?

M&S Bank launched in 2012 and was built on the foundation of M&S Money. M&S Money (and its previous incarnations) has provided a variety of financial products since 1985.

M&S Bank offers services including banking as well as car, pet, home and travel insurance. The bank is a joint venture between Marks & Spencer and the HSBC Group

What are M&S Bank’s cover options?

M&S Bank provides cover for both buildings and contents insurance, under two policies. Each has a range of features and there are also optional extras which you can include in your cover. There are two tiers – Standard and Premier.

M&S Bank’s Standard cover

M&S Bank’s Standard cover is the most basic policy. You’ll pay less for standard cover than premium, and your cover limits will be lower.
Features of this include:

  • Buildings insurance
  • Contents insurance
  • Pedal cycle cover at home
  • Limited garden contents cover
  • Cover for garden furniture and equipment
  • Replacement lock and keys
Premier cover

M&S Bank’s Premier cover offers essential cover plus extra protection. You can get this for buildings, contents or both.
Features include:

  • Pedal cycle cover at home
  • Storm damage to gates and fences
  • Garden contents cover
  • Cover for garden furniture and equipment
  • Replacement lock and keys
  • Accidental damage
  • Accidental damage to freezer contents
  • Visitors’ belongings
  • Student possessions
  • A dependent relative’s possessions while in a care home
Optional extras

M&S Bank offers optional extras

  • Buildings accidental damage cover.
  • Contents accidental damage cover which covers loss or damage to contents within your home.
  • Home emergency cover which covers emergency repairs made to your home.
  • Legal expenses which will cover you and your family’s legal fees.

What’s covered under my policy?

M&S Bank’s home insurance policies offer cover and protection for your home against certain risks. These include:

  • Fire, lightning, explosion or earthquake
  • Smoke
  • Riot, civil commotion, political disturbance
  • Collision
  • Falling trees or branches
  • Storms or floods
  • Theft/vandalism
  • Escaped oil/water
  • Subsidence
  • Falling television and radio aerials

But the M&S Bank’s home insurance policies also include some extra cover as standard. Check out some of these additional extras below, for a full list check out the M&S home insurance policy document.

Architects’, surveyors’, consulting engineers’ and legal fees, and the cost of clearing debris
Replacement lock and keys
Owner legal liability
Damage to fixed glass
Alternative accommodation
Loss/damage to electronic data downloads
Loss/damage to plants and shrubbery
Accidental loss of metered water/domestic heating oil
Loss/damage to food in fridge or freezer
Personal liability

What are the benefits of M&S Bank’s home insurance?

  • Alternative accommodation if your home is seriously damaged
  • Change your excess
  • Flexible claims service where you can take cash or a cash equivalent instead of having item repaired or replaced
  • If make a claim on both buildings and contents insurance, only the higher excess will be applied
  • Garden contents
  • Pay by monthly instalments at no extra cost
  • Extra protection against household emergencies such as plumbing problems

What is my excess?

An excess is the amount of money you contribute when you make a claim. The amount of your excess will depend on the level of cover you have and the nature of your claim. If the nature of your claim is both buildings and contents, the higher excess will be applied. Make sure you check your policy schedule to see what excess applies to your claim.

If you have chosen different excesses for buildings and contents insurance and you then decide to make a claim on both, only the higher of the two excesses will be charged.

What is the claims process for M&S Bank’s home insurance?

To make a home insurance claim at M&S Bank, you will need to contact the claims team on its 24/7 hotline, which is 0800 111 4901.
To make a claim, you will need to have your policy number to hand.
When you make a claim, M&S Bank’s claims team will do the following:

  • Take the details of the loss or damage caused
  • Instruct an approved supplier to contact you if necessary
  • If necessary, arrange for someone to contact you to discuss your claim as soon as possible
The offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of products we can track; we don't cover every product on the market...yet. Unless we've indicated otherwise, products are shown in no particular order or ranking. The terms "best", "top", "cheap" (and variations), aren't product ratings, although we always explain what's great about a product when we highlight it; this is subject to our terms of use. When making a big financial decision, it's wise to consider getting independent financial advice, and always consider your own financial circumstances when comparing products so you get what's right for you. Most of the data in Finder's comparison tables is provided by Moneyfacts.

More guides on Finder

Go to site