Churchill home insurance review
We've checked the cover options of Churchill's home insurance to help you decide if you'll get a good deal.
Churchill’s home insurance is 5-star Defaqto-rated home insurance and comes with a wide range of features. Policies can also be upgraded with optional extras such as legal expenses cover and home emergency cover. Here’s what else we think you should know about Churchill.
What is Churchill?
Churchill, whose nodding bulldog has graced many an advert, offers a wide range of financial products including home, car, travel and pet insurance.
Established in 1989, Churchill was one of the first direct car insurers in the UK.
Churchill became part of the Royal Bank of Scotland Group after being acquired in 2003, but since 2012 it has been part of the Direct Line Group.
What are Churchill’s cover options?
Churchill offers two different types of home insurance: Home Insurance and Home Plus.
Both of these options include buildings and contents insurance but buildings insurance and contents insurance can also be bought separately or combined as needed.
What is covered under my policy?
|Cover features||Home Insurance||Home Plus|
|Buildings sum insured||£1 million||Unlimited|
|Accidental damage cover||x||✓|
|Trace and access of leaks||£5,000||£10,000|
|Property owners’ liability||£2 million||£5 million|
|Contents sum insured||£50,000||£100,000|
|Internal items of home||£2,000 per item||£4,000 per item|
|Accidental damage cover||x||✓|
|Contents taken out of home temporarily||£5,000||£10,000|
|Personal liability||£2 million||£5 million|
|Employer’s liability||£5 million||£10 million|
|Matching sets and suites||x||✓|
|Cover for items taken out of home||£2,500||£5,000|
|Bicycles||£500 per bike||£1,000 per bike|
|Legal expenses cover||x||✓|
|Home emergency cover up to £500 per call-out||x||✓|
|Contents in garden||✓||✓|
Churchill offers a range of additional protection to bolt onto your home insurance policy, including:
- Accidental damage cover. Protection against mishaps at home.
- Personal possessions cover. Cover starting from £2,500.
- Legal expenses cover. Cover of up to £100,000.
- Home emergency cover. Up to £500 for every emergency call-out service.
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you will need to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your van and your driving experience.
A voluntary excess is on top and is normally set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess, which should lower your premium.
With Churchill, you have the option of choosing your voluntary excess of between £100 and £500. There are also compulsory excesses for Churchill’s building insurance including £1,000 for subsidence, heave or landslip and £450 for escape of water.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
How much is this going to cost me?
There are a number of factors that can affect the cost of your Churchill home insurance premium, including:
- The cover option you choose. Enhancing your buildings, contents and combined cover policies with optional extras will provide more features and broader cover than Churchill’s standard cover options, which will likely be reflected in the price.
- Your sum insured. The greater the amount you wish to insure your home or contents for, the more you can expect to pay for cover.
- Your home. The age of your home and the materials from which it is constructed can influence its ability to withstand damage.
- Where your home is located. Certain risks, for example, storm and theft, are more prevalent in certain areas, so insurers will take this into consideration when calculating your premiums.
- Security. Security measures such as an alarm system and deadbolts can act as a deterrent to thieves and therefore reduce the cost of your cover.
What is the claims process for Churchill?
You should call the 24-hour Churchill claims line on 0345 603 3599.
Churchill recommends you have the following information to hand when making a claim:
- Your policy details and personal contact details
- The date of the incident
- Details such as the cause of the incident
- The value of any lost or damaged items being claimed for
- Names and address of any other people involved or responsible for the incident, including details of injuries
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
Churchill pros and cons
- Churchill’s Home Insurance and Home Plus policies are 5-star Defaqto-rated
- Available cover options suit different requirements and budgets
- Home insurance policies can be enhanced with extra protection
- No admin fee for making changes to a policy
Home insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
More guides on Finder
Compare mobile phone insurance
Get a quote in seconds and save on your phone cover.
Can you run a business from home?
Looking to set up your own business but not quite ready to get a proper office? You can definitely run your company from home, once you’ve taken care of a few details.
Peugeot 3008 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 3008 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Land Rover Freelander insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Land Rover Freelander falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Renault Twingo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Renault Twingo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volvo S40 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volvo S40 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Sorento insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Sorento falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Vauxhall Viva insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Vauxhall Viva falls under and how much it could cost to insure.
Mazda CX 3 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Mazda CX 3 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot 106 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 106 falls under and how much it costs to insure.