We’ve checked out Saga’s home insurance, which has three different cover options to choose from.
Saga’s home insurance is available in three different cover levels to suit a range of requirements and budgets. You can buy buildings cover and contents cover separately or combine them for comprehensive cover.
As well as Saga’s over 50s home cover being rated as 5 stars by Defaqto, customers that select the higher cover levels can also benefit from premiums that are fixed for three years. Here’s what else we think you should know about Saga.
Compare home insurance
What is Saga?
Saga originally focused on travel for people aged over 50 and then branched out to offer travel, home and motor insurance as well as other financial services for this group in the 1980s.
With 65 years of experience, it has become one of the UK’s leading insurance providers for people over 50, winning a number of awards for its products and services.
What are Saga’s cover options?
Saga offers home insurance has a 5-star rating from Defaqto and is underwritten by a number of insurers. These policies come in two main cover levels with a third that offers tailor-made protection:
- Saga Essential. Basic cover with the option to enhance the policy with optional extras
- Saga Home. Comprehensive cover that includes accidental damage cover
- Saga TailorMade Home. Higher level of buildings cover as well as worldwide contents cover that includes accidental damage cover
What is covered under my policy?
Saga’s home insurance has several cover benefits as standard, including the following:
|Cover benefits||Saga Essential||Saga Home|
|Property owner’s liability||✓ Up to £2 million||✓ Up to £2 million|
|Alternative accommodation||✓ Up to £100,000||✓ Up to buildings sum insured|
|Trace and access of water or oil||✓ Up to £5,000||✓ Up to buildings sum insured|
|Accidental damage cover||x||✓ Up to buildings sum insured|
|Accidental damage to cables and underground pipes||✓||✓ Up to buildings sum insured|
|Emergency entry||✓||✓ Up to buildings sum insured|
|Key and lock cover||✓ Up to £1,000||✓ Up to buildings sum insured|
|Damage caused by pets||x||✓ Up to buildings sum insured|
|Compulsory evacuation||✓||✓ Up to buildings sum insured|
|Alternative accommodation||✓ Up to £25,000||✓ Up to contents sum insured|
|Liability to others||✓ Up to £2 million||✓ Up to £2 million|
|Visitors’ personal belongings||✓ £250 per person up to £1,000||✓ Up to £1,000|
|Contents in the open||✓ Up to £1,000||✓ Up to £1,000|
|Key and lock cover||✓ Up to £1,000||✓ Up to contents sum insured|
|Garden cover||✓ Up to £1,000||✓ Up to £1,000|
|Personal money||✓ Up to £500||✓ Up to £500|
|Frozen food cover||✓ Up to £500||✓ Up to contents sum insured|
|Oil and metered water||✓ Up to £2,000||✓ Up to contents sum insured|
|Credit cards||✓ Up to £500||✓ Up to £500|
A Saga TailorMade Home insurance policy has the following features:
- Buildings cover up to £1 million
- Contents cover up to £100,000
- Worldwide cover for valuables
- Accidental damage cover
- Alternative accommodation for up to three years
- Cover for trace and access of a leak
- Student cover up to £15,000
For a full list of the features, check out Saga’s home insurance policy documents.
Saga offers a range of additional protections that you can bolt onto your specific home insurance policy, including the following:
- Personal belongings cover
- Saga home emergency cover
- Legal expenses with personal cybercrime cover
- Extended garden cover
- Accidental damage cover for fixtures and fittings
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you will need to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your home.
A voluntary excess is on top and is normally set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess, which should lower your premium.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
How much is this going to cost me?
There are a number of factors that can affect the cost of your Saga home insurance premium, including the following:
- The cover option you choose. Enhancing your buildings, contents and combined cover policies with optional extras will provide more features and broader cover than Saga’s standard cover options, which will likely be reflected in the price.
- Your sum insured. The greater the amount you wish to insure your home or contents for, the more you can expect to pay for cover.
- Your home. The age of your home and the materials from which it is constructed can influence its ability to withstand damage.
- Where your home is located. Certain risks, for example, storm and theft, are more prevalent in certain areas, and insurers will take this into consideration when calculating your premiums.
- Security. Security measures such as an alarm system and deadbolts can act as a deterrent to thieves and therefore reduce the cost of your cover.
What is the claims process for Saga?
You will need to refer to your policy document and follow the claims process contained within it.
You will likely need to provide the following information:
- Your policy details and personal contact details
- The date of the incident
- Details such as the cause of the incident
- The value of any lost or damaged items being claimed for
- Names and address of any other people involved or responsible for the incident, including details of injuries)
You may also need to provide the following additional information:
- Original purchase receipts, invoices, manual booklets or photographs, bank statements, utility bills, plans or deeds of your property
- Purchase dates and location of lost or damaged property
- Confirmation from a suitably qualified expert that the damaged property you intend to claim back for is beyond repair
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
Saga pros and cons
- Saga’s buildings and contents home insurance has a 5-star rating from Defaqto
- Saga’s different cover options suit different requirements and budgets
- Saga’s home insurance policies can be enhanced with extra protection
- 24/7 claims lines