ASDA Money home insurance review
We've reviewed the home insurance cover options from ASDA Money to help you decide if it can protect your home.
What’s more, ASDA Money’s home policies can also be tailored with optional extras such as accidental damage, garden, bicycle or technology and entertainment cover. Here’s what else we think you should know about ASDA Money.
Who is ASDA Money?
Established in Yorkshire in the 1960s, the brand is best known for its supermarkets but, through its ASDA Money division, also offers a range of credit cards, personal loans and travel money, and insurance for homes, caravans, cars, pets and travel.
ASDA Financial Services Ltd is a representative of Hood Group Ltd, and is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority. ASDA home insurance is sold and administered by Hood Group Ltd.
What are ASDA Money’s cover options?
ASDA Money offers a range of cover options to suit individual needs. These include:
- Buildings insurance
- Contents insurance
- Combined building and contents insurance – Standard policy
- Combined building and contents insurance – Superior policy
ASDA Money’s standard and superior building and contents policies can either be bought separately or combined.
What is covered under my policy?
ASDA Money’s home insurance policies offer cover and protection for your home against certain risks. These include:
- Fire, storm and flood damage (except to fences, hedges and gates)
- Escape of water
But the home insurance policies also include extra benefits as standard. Check out the features of ASDA Money’s two home insurance options below.
|Cover features||Standard home insurance||Superior home insurance|
|Insured value of buildings||Up to £400,000||Up to £750,000|
|Alternative accommodation||✓ up to £40,000||✓ up to £75,000|
|Property owners’ liability||✓ up to £2 million||✓ up to £5 million|
|Locks and keys cover||✓ up to £750||✓ up to £1,000|
|Legal fees to remove squatters||✓|
|Damage caused by emergency services||✓ up to £1,000||✓ up to £1,000|
|24/7 home emergency cover||x||✓|
|Insured value of contents||✓ Up to £50,000||✓ Up to £75,000|
|Visitors’ contents cover||✓ Up to £500||✓ Up to £2,500|
|Office equipment and furniture cover||✓ Up to £5,000||✓ Up to £5,000|
|Replacing deeds and documents cover||✓ Up to £2,500||✓ Up to £2,500|
|Special occasions cover||✓ Up to £3,000||✓ Up to £5,000|
|Freezer food cover||✓ Up to £1,000||✓ Up to £1,000|
|Temporary removal cover||✓ Up to £20,000||✓ Up to £20,000|
|Contents in the open cover||✓ Up to £750||✓ Up to £750|
|Occupiers’ and personal liability cover||✓ Up to £2 million||✓ Up to £5 million|
|Alternative accommodation cover||✓ Up to £10,000||✓ Up to £20,000|
|Theft from outbuildings cover||✓ Up to £2,000||✓ Up to £2,000|
Check out ASDA Money’s home insurance policy document for a complete list of policy features to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
ASDA Money offers a range of additional protection to bolt onto your specific home insurance policy, including:
- Accidental damage cover
- Personal belongings cover
- Technology and entertainment cover
- Garden contents cover
- Bicycle cover
- Home emergency cover
- Legal expenses cover
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you will need to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount.
You’ll find details about your excess in your policy document.
How much is this going to cost me?
There are a number of factors that can affect the cost of your ASDA Money home insurance premium, including:
- The cover option you choose. Enhancing your buildings, contents and combined cover policies with optional extras will provide more features and broader cover than ASDA Money’s standard cover options, which will likely be reflected in the price.
- Your sum insured. The greater the amount you wish to insure your home or contents for, the more you can expect to pay for cover.
- Your home. The age of your home and the materials from which it is constructed can influence its ability to withstand damage.
- Where your home is located. Certain risks, for example, storm and theft, are more prevalent in certain areas, and insurers will take this into consideration when calculating your premiums.
- Security. Security measures such as an alarm system and deadbolts can act as a deterrent to thieves and therefore reduce the cost of your cover.
What is the claims process for ASDA Money?
You will need to refer to the claims information within your policy document as there are no claims line details on the ASDA Money website.
In order to make a claim, you will likely need the following information to hand:
- Your policy details and personal contact details.
- The date of the incident.
- Details such as the cause of the incident.
- The value of any lost or damaged items being claimed for.
- Names and addresses of any other people involved or responsible for the incident, including details of injuries.
You may also need to provide the following additional information:
- Original purchase receipts, invoices, manual booklets or photographs, bank statements, utility bills, plans or deeds of your property.
- Purchase dates and location of lost or damaged property.
- Confirmation from a suitably qualified expert that the damaged property you intend to claim back for is beyond repair.
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
ASDA Money pros and cons
- ASDA Money’s different standard and superior cover options suit different requirements and budgets.
- ASDA Money’s home insurance policies can be enhanced with extra protection.
- Building insurance and contents insurance can be purchased separately or combined.
More guides on Finder
ASDA Money Cashback Start Credit Card review
Who says you can’t earn rewards while building your credit rating? Here’s everything you need to know about Asda Money’s card for those with limited or less than perfect credit histories.
Asda Money Cashback Plus Credit Card Mastercard Review
Find out if Asda Money’s highest-earning rewards card could be right for you. Compare rates, fees and perks here.
ASDA Money Cashback Credit Card review
Do you do your weekly shop at Asda? This credit card lets you earn unlimited rewards on your spending both in-store and elsewhere.