Halifax Reward current account review
Looking for a bank account that offers rewards? Find out whether the Halifax Reward current account works for you.
|Account name||Reward Current Account|
|ATM withdrawal limit||£500|
|Card type||Cash / Debit|
|Minimum eligibility age||18 Years|
|Min. operating balance||£0.01|
|Min. opening balance||£0.01|
|Current account switch guarantee|
Founded in 1853, Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland which itself is a wholly owned subsidiary of Lloyds Banking Group. Halifax offers a range of financial products, including several current accounts.
What is the Halifax Reward current account?
The Halifax Reward current account is a step up from the standard Halifax current account, but a level below the Halifax Ultimate Reward account which charges a £17 monthly fee.
With the Halifax Reward account, you’ll have access to a range of rewards and cashback offers and, providing you pay £1,500 or more into your account each month, you’ll avoid the £3 monthly fee. The account can be opened individually or jointly and comes with a contactless Visa debit card.
How does it work?
As well as offering everything you’d expect from a bank account, the Halifax Reward account also includes the following key features:
- Reward Extras. Choose between 2 x digital movie rentals with Rakuten TV, 3 x digital magazines, 1 x cinema ticket at any UK Vue cinema, or £5 in your account each month.
- Cashback Extras. Earn up to 15% cashback at selected retailers.
- Save the Change. Round up your card payments to the nearest pound to save as you spend.
- 0% overdraft for 6 months. New current account applicants can benefit from an interest-free overdraft for 6 months. After this, you’ll be charged a rate of 39.9% EAR.
Who is it for?
To be eligible for the Halifax Reward account, you must be at least 18 years old and a UK resident. You will also need to pay at least £1,500 into your account each month and stay in credit, otherwise you’ll pay a £3 monthly fee.
To qualify for Reward Extras, you must either spend £500 on your debit card each month, or keep £5,000 or above in your account each day of the month.
What are the benefits?
The main benefit of the Halifax Reward account is the rewards on offer. You’ll have the option to choose from a lifestyle benefit, such as cinema tickets, or straightforward cash if you prefer. You’ll also be able to earn cashback as you spend in certain retailers.
How to apply
The quickest and easiest way to apply for the Halifax Reward account is online. You’ll need to fill in an application form and provide details about your income and home address over the past 3 years.
If you’re an existing customer, you can open a new account or upgrade an existing account by signing into online banking.
Pros and cons of the account
- Choose rewards to suit you
- New customers switching get a 6-month 0% overdraft
- Earn cashback at certain retailers
- Single or joint account options
- Easy to open and manage account online
- Need to meet eligibility criteria to qualify for rewards
- £3 monthly fee if you don’t pay in £1,500 a month
- Overdraft charges are high once interest-free period ends
- No interest paid on in-credit balances
If you’re looking for an everyday bank account that offers a little extra, the Halifax Reward account is worth considering. However, rewards are fairly limited and you’ll need to meet the eligibility criteria to qualify. There’s also no interest paid on in-credit balances.
In comparison, the Club Lloyds current account pays interest on balances up to £5,000 and also offers a host of similar rewards with similar eligibility requirements. Therefore, it’s worth comparing your options carefully before deciding which account is best for you.