See if you qualify for a credit card from top providers
- Including Barclaycard and Amex
- Check a range of cards in minutes
- No impact on your credit score
- One fast and simple form
MBNA offers headline-grabbing transfer and purchase offers, and many of its cards boast competitive default rates that the cards revert to when offer periods expire. So whether or not you’re a card user who jumps from offer to offer, MBNA could have an option for you.
Compare MBNA credit cards
Approval for any credit card depends on your status. The representative APRs shown represent the interest rate offered to most successful applicants. Depending on your personal circumstances, the APR you're offered may be higher, or you may not be offered credit at all. Fees and rates are subject to change without notice. It's always wise to check the terms of any deal before you borrow.
MBNA cards are issued on the MasterCard network, so they can be used at tens of millions of merchants and ATMs around the world.
The online account management is easy and secure, and the statements have always been accurate.”
What types of credit cards are available from MBNA?
MBNA range of cards is comprised of five main types:
- 0% Balance transfer deals. Balance transfer cards allow you to move existing debt onto a new card and pay no interest on it for a set introductory period. You’ll normally be expected to pay a transfer fee – typically 2-3%, but in the UK’s competitive card market, some banks now offer cards with no transfer fee. Learn more about Learn more about 0% balance transfer cards.
- 0% Money transfer deals. Want to transfer money from your credit card to your current account? MBNA offers three cards that allow you to send money from your credit card into your current account at 0% interest for a set introductory period. Learn more about 0% money transfer cards.
- 0% Purchase deals. If you’re planning on making a big purchase but want to spread the cost, MBNA offer a card that will charge 0% interest on purchases for a set introductory period. Learn more about 0% purchase cards.
- Low interest deals. MBNA offers credit cards with no introductory periods, just a low rate on purchases and transfers for at least five years. Learn more about low interest cards.
- All-rounder deals. If you’re looking for a card to fulfil multiple requirements – perhaps you have an outstanding balance but also anticipate making purchases on card, you might want to check out “all-rounders”. Weigh up the rates that the card will revert to after any introductory period ends, plus any fees, versus the potential savings the card will offer you.Learn more about all-rounder cards.
Additional benefits of banking with MBNA
MBNA offers additional benefits to its credit card holders. Here are some of the highlights:
- Security and protection. MBNA do their best to protect your finances and ensure you’re not a victim of fraud. As well as monitoring your account 24/7 for fraudulent behaviour, they have also put in place added features to protect you online and won’t charge you for fraud liability.
- Global acceptance. With all of MBNA’s cards provided through either Visa or MasterCard you can rest assured your card will be accepted throughout the UK and in many, many places across the world. MasterCard is the world’s fastest payment processing network and operates in more than 210 countries, while Visa is accepted in over 38 million locations.
- Mobile App. MBNA has created a snazzy app, so you can get straight to all of your credit card stuff, without any faff, while you’re on the move.
- Easy payments to your card. MBNA offers a range of options which should make keeping up with your monthly payments that bit easier – including online debit card payments, regular Direct Debit payments and (when you’re against the clock) Faster Payments.
What is Clever Check?
This is MBNA’s “soft search” facility. It lets you check whether or not you’d get approved for a card before you hit “Apply” and without affecting your credit score. Frustratingly, MBNA’s eligibility-checking facility is more long-winded than most.
When you come to actually apply for an MBNA credit card, it will involve a “hard search” of your credit file, which has a small (and usually short-lived) negative impact on your credit score. For that reason, you shouldn’t just submit applications left, right and centre – and only apply for a card when you’re confident your application will be approved.
Many card issuers also tailor interest rates, credit limits and offers to the individual applicant. Some soft search facilities (including MBNA’s) can also give you a better idea of the specific rate and credit limit you’d be offered and whether or not you’d receive the exact advertised offer.
What is APR?
It’s a figure designed to provide an annual summary of the cost of borrowing, taking into account both interest and any mandatory charges to be paid (for example an annual/monthly account fee).
However, because many card issuers tailor the APR the offer to each applicant, you’ll frequently see them promoting their representative APR. This is the APR they’ll give to at least 51% of successful applicants.
How long does it take to get an MBNA credit card?
The eligibility-checker takes about five minutes, and will give you an instant indication as to whether or not it’s worth applying for a card. If you’re happy to proceed, the actual application takes perhaps a further five to ten minutes. Your new card will then arrive within one week, and you’ll then need to call MBNA to activate it.
Don’t forget that the first time you use your card, you’ll have to enter your PIN – from then on you can make contactless payments to your heart’s content.
They have been very good with balance transfer offers, and make it easy with their app.”
How do MBNA’s cards hold up against the rest of the market?
How to apply for an MBNA credit card
The quickest way to apply for a MBNA card is online. What’s more, the online eligibility checker allows you to tell if you’re likely to be able to take out an MBNA credit card, without affecting your credit rating.
To have your application for a credit card considered you must meet the following criteria:
Meeting these requirements doesn’t guarantee you’ll be offered a credit card with MBNA. MBNA will also run credit and affordability checks.
Why might you not be approved?
Typically you won’t be approved for a credit card if you’ve got a history of bad debt or MBNA decide your income/expenditure is not suitable for a particular credit card. If you’ve got an outstanding CCJ or are on an individual voluntary arrangement (IVA) it is also likely you will not be approved. Equally, if you do not have a credit record at all, you may be turned down. It is advisable to go to Experian, or another credit rating agency, and to ask for a credit report.
MBNA customer reviews
In our 2023 customer satisfaction survey, MBNA scored 4.5 out of 5 stars, with 83% of customers saying they’d recommend the brand to a friend.
Customers praised MBNA’s overall service.Many customers also praised MBNA’s online services and app, however some customers found some online services “clunky”. One commented that MBNA had “Good information” online and it was “easy to apply” for a credit card. However, one customer felt it “could be easier to find certain things on the app”. However, overall comments were mainly positive. Another commented: “Easy no hassle account. Good communication”.
Contact MBNA’s customer support
|Telephone support||For credit card queries call 03456 062 062. Lines are open 8am-8pm Mon-Sun.|
Overview of MBNA Limited credit cards
|Representative APR||From 13.9% to 23.9%|
|0% balance transfer offer||Up to 27 months|
|0% purchases offer||Up to 18 months|
|0% money transfer offer||Up to 14 months|
|Cashback with brand||Up to 0.25%|
|Cashback elsewhere||Up to 0.25%|
|Cash advance||From 13.94%|
|Introductory bonus offer||No introductory bonus offers available|
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
MBNA Low Fee 0% Balance Transfer Credit Card review 2023
While it’s not MBNA’s longest 0% offer, this card comes with the benefit of a reduced balance transfer fee.
Using MBNA abroad: Guide to fees and charges
Thinking of using an MBNA card overseas or for non-sterling purchases? Learn what fees apply plus our hacks for avoiding them.
MBNA Long 0% Money Transfer Credit Card review 2023
Enjoy an interest-free period on funds that you transfer from this card to other accounts.
MBNA 0% Transfer and Purchase Credit Card review 2023
Enjoy lengthy introductory 0% deals on both purchases and balance transfers with this “matched” card.