Car insurance group 46
Find out the list of cars available in insurance group 46 and the average cost of insurance based on the model version, the driver's age and their location.
What is insurance group 46?
Every car available to buy is given an insurance group. These groups were created to help insurers work out how much to charge to insure particular cars. Groups are rated from 1-50, with 1 having the cheapest cars to insure and 50 having the most expensive to insure.
So, as you can expect, cars in group 46 are among the most expensive to insure. Cars in this group tend to have a high market value, a large powerful engine and parts that are difficult to repair or replace.
Insurers will also consider a range of your personal factors when assessing how much to charge you on car insurance. These include your age, driving history and location.
In this guide, we will explore the factors used to place cars in insurance group 46, plus other considerations made by insurers when offering you a car insurance quote.
Car makes and models in insurance group 46
We’ve listed some popular cars in insurance group 46 below. These are all likely to fall on the more expensive side when it comes to car insurance premiums.
|Insurance group||Car make/model||Details|
|46||Alfa Romeo Giulia||This vehicle won the 2020 Performance Car Of The Year award from WhatCar? Its safety features include pedestrian detection and automatic city braking technology.|
|46||Alpine A110 Coupe||The Alpine A110 is a remarkable, slick and fast coupe that is powered by a 1.8-litre turbocharged engine.|
|46||Audi A7 Sportback||Winner of the 2019 World Luxury Car at the World Car Awards, it can either be equipped with a powerful 2-litre 4-cylinder or a 3-litre V6.|
|46||BMW X5 4×4||The BMW X5 is a 4-door, mid-size luxury SUV that received a full 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP.|
|46||Jaguar F-Type||The Jaguar F-Type is a wild sports car, which can be powered by three different types of engine, capable of going 0-60 mph in just 3.5 seconds.|
|46||Range Rover Velar SUV||This SUV can be powered by four different types of engines. It also received a full 5-star rating from Euro NCAP.|
|46||Lotus Elise||Winning the Readers’ Champion Award at the Autocar Awards 2019, the Lotus Elise is a head-turning sports car that delivers a beautiful driving experience.|
|46||Porsche 911 Coupe||This iconic sports car can be powered by four different types of powerful engine with a max speed of 330 km/h.|
Cars in group 46 and the average cost of insurance by driver’s age
Using the table below, you can look for the make and model of your car, and calculate how much you’re likely to pay for your car insurance based on your age.
What other factors affect your car insurance premium?
Along with your car’s insurance group, these three factors have the biggest impact on the cost of your insurance:
- Engine type and capacity. The larger your engine, the more it will cost to repair or replace it, and the more you’re likely to pay for insurance.
- Driver location. Insurers factor in the likelihood that your car will be stolen or involved in an accident when calculating your insurance, and your location has a big impact on this. As an example, a 30-year-old in central London will pay £1,272 for insurance for a Range Rover Evoque HSE D300 auto 4d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £1,129.
- Driver age. Like location, the age of the driver plays a significant role in determining the cost of your insurance premium. The youngest drivers tend to pay a lot more because they are statistically more likely to make a claim. The average 20-year-old driver in London could pay £2,213 for the Lotus Exige 2d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £1,169.
There are a lot of other factors that can also impact the price of your premium. These include the following:
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
- Your car’s safety rating, security and anti-theft precautions
- The model and age of your car
- Your driving activity
- Your driving history
- Your no-claim discount
How can I save on my car insurance premium?
Choosing a car in a lower insurance group will save you a lot of money.
We have listed some more ideas for this below:
- Drive safely. It may sound obvious but having convictions on your record will make your premium more expensive.
- Don’t use your car all of the time. You could save money on your insurance by reducing the number of miles you drive per year.
- Pay annually. By paying annually, you often end up with a much cheaper deal because there is no need to pay interest on monthly instalments.
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer you make your car, the cheaper your premium will be.
- Shop around. When it’s time for renewal, make sure you compare your options using price comparison websites.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Car insurance group 47
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 47 and the average cost of insurance.
Car insurance group 48
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 48 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 50
Find out which cars are listed in insurance group 50 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 49
Find out which cars are in insurance group 49 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 41
Find out the list of cars in insurance group 41 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 43
Find out the cars listed in insurance group 43 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 44
Find out what cars are in insurance group 44 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 45
Find out which cars are listed in insurance group 45 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 42
Find out what cars are available in insurance group 42 and how much it costs to insure them.