Looking for comfy heels or suitable night out shoes that won't kill your vibe? Dance until the early hours with our round-up of stylish, comfy footwear. Read more…
boohoo statistics 2020
The fashion brand explained.
boohoo has repeatedly made international headlines over the last few months as its stock price has risen more than 70% over one year, hitting an all-time high in January. Given its international success, we explored the most recent available data on the brand that is becoming a major player in the fashion industry.
The fashion brand boohoo was founded in 2006 in the UK, with headquarters located in Manchester. It is part of the online fashion retail group, boohoo.com plc, which has a strong presence in the UK, the US, Europe and Australia. In 2017, the group acquired interest in the fashion brand, PrettyLittleThing, as well as intellectual property of the US brand Nasty Gal. But its expansion hasn’t stopped there, it also bought the women’s fashion company MissPap in March 2019. The fashion group does everything related to clothes, including designing, sourcing, marketing and selling. It targets consumers aged between 16 and 30 and is known for heavily discounting prices both during sales and out of sales season.
- Who founded boohoo? Mahmud Kamani and Carol Kane in 2006.
- Where is boohoo headquartered? boohoo’s headquarters are located in Manchester with offices in eight other locations, including Sydney, Paris, Los Angeles and Berlin.
- How much revenue does boohoo make? boohoo made £856.92 million revenue in FY 2019.
- What is boohoo’s valuation? boohoo has a £3.89 billion market valuation (as of December 2019).
Customer growth over time
|Year||Number of customers|
boohoo’s biggest customer base is found in its homeland, as 56.93% of its total revenue comes from the shopping habits of Brits, generating £488.2 million in 2018/19. Across the Atlantic in the US, shoppers spent £166.7 million on products by the fashion company, which amounts to 19.45% of its revenue. However, it is not just Brits and Americans who enjoy boohoo’s products, as roughly a quarter of its total revenue (£202.5 million) comes from the rest of the world.
|Area||Revenue||% of total revenue|
|Rest of the World||£202,500,000.00||23.62%|
boohoo actively targets the “Instagram generation” to drive sales and just splashed out £80 million on social media celebrities after its most recent surge in sales. Influencer marketing has increased by 59% from last year and is now a key strategy to engage boohoo’s core demographic: girls aged between 16 and 24. Here is a list of its most well-known influencer endorsements (plus Instagram tags):
- Jordyn Woods:@jordynwoods (11.4m followers)
- Maura Higgins:@maurahiggins (2.7m followers)
- Kendall Rae-Knight:@kendallraeknight (957k followers)
- Alexandra Cane:@alexandralouise__ (1.3m followers)
- Kaz Crossley:@kazcrossley (1.3m followers)
- Cloe Sims:@chloe_simsstarship (1.2m followers)
- Gabby Allen:@gabbydawnallen (1.1m followers)
- India Reynolds:@lovefromreyn (1.1m followers)
- Anna Vakili:@annavakili_ (1.3m followers)
- Amy Hart:@amyhartxo (1.3m followers)
- Lucie Donlan:@lucierosedonlan (1.7m followers)
Weekly Google searches for boohoo
boohoo revenue and financials
The shopping company has really taken the UK by storm, which becomes evident when looking at its rising yearly revenue. Between 2012 and 2013, revenue increased by 60.16% in the UK alone and from 2016 to 2017 went up by a staggering 95.41%. The average year-on-year revenue growth has been 50.59%. While its rivals have taken a hit regarding sales numbers in late 2019, the company experienced a 44% jump in the four months leading up to New Year’s Eve. boohoo’s market value of almost £3.89 billion is now bigger than that of Marks and Spencer (£3.7 billion).
|Year||Revenue (UK)||Revenue increase (in %)|
For all media enquiries, please contact
Want to know more about UK fashion designers? See our round-up of the best British brands out there from Vivienne Westwood to Victoria Beckham. Read more…
See if you can get your next Buy Fencing Direct order for less with our hand-tested voucher and promo codes. Read more…
See if you can get your next Oxfam order for less with our hand-tested vouchers and promo codes. Read more…
We estimated the number of iPhones bought in the UK every year since 2011. Read more…
Find the perfect gift to show your mum how much you care this Mother's Day with our round-up of the best gifts from our favourite retailers. Read more…
Ask an Expert